06 Mar, 2009, Sandi wrote in the 21st comment:
Votes: 0
KaVir said:
Sandi said:
Still, doesn't it seem like there should be a term to describe a game without mobs?

You mean like Assault and Genocide? I believe the term "pure PK" would suffice ;)

Well, no (*nudge, nudge wink, wink*), and therein lies the problem.

MU* means "Muds that don't include MUDS", a definition that sets people screaming. Ironically, it's shorthand for all the other endings besides "D". It's an exclusive, rather than inclusive, term. While it may well be that all online text games are descended from MUD, there is a secondary level of distinction in the naming patterns - AberMUD, DikuMUD, LPMUD - these all share certain characteristics that are lacking in MUSHes, MOOs and MUCKs. The difference lies in the intent of the server.

More importantly, there are differences in the community. MUSHers, for instance, tend to eschew web forums, and rely on the ubiquitous, in-game, Myrddin's Bulletin Board to announce new games. There is no equivalent to M*U*S*H or OGR in the MUDding community. (nor, thankfully, is there anything like WORA)

I don't believe approaching "MU*" from the view of current taxonomy is particularly useful. It's a term born of necessity to ease communication. It's also, I believe, endorsed by the majority of mudders. :grinning:
06 Mar, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 22nd comment:
Sandi said:
(nor, thankfully, is there anything like WORA)

So what's the color on WORA? I have heard it mentioned many times accompanied with quaking and shuddering or just general revulsion. I've checked it out, and it does seem to have a nice share of flames and other unpleasantness. It didn't strike me as that different from TMC, though. What makes it so particularly terrible? :wink:

Sandi said:
MU* means "Muds that don't include MUDS"

Ah, ghosts of Cantor past… :laugh:
06 Mar, 2009, Sandi wrote in the 23rd comment:
It's rather sad that TMC and WORA don't seem distinctly different. That wasn't always the case.

I do think though, that WORA reveals its true colors when you notice there are specific areas for "constructive" discussion. The intent of the site is to ridicule other payers and badmouth games. (OK, not that different from what TMC has become…)
06 Mar, 2009, Tyche wrote in the 24th comment:
Sandi said:
It's rather sad that TMC and WORA don't seem distinctly different. That wasn't always the case.

I do think though, that WORA reveals its true colors when you notice there are specific areas for "constructive" discussion. The intent of the site is to ridicule other payers and badmouth games. (OK, not that different from what TMC has become…)

Become?! TMC used to have a wicked "Flames" forum.
06 Mar, 2009, Scandum wrote in the 25th comment:
A while ago I posted a roleplaying log on Wora of the involuntary abortion of a teenage pregnancy with a baseball bat.. (that crap might work in real life, but I ain't falling for it online).

Anywho, I was promptly banned from the forum. I don't think I've ever seen a sadder bunch of bad boy wannabees.
06 Mar, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 26th comment:
Scandum said:
that crap might work in real life, but I ain't falling for it online

Huh? :thinking:
06 Mar, 2009, Scandum wrote in the 27th comment:
It was a demonic baby that would have killed its mother in the 8th month by eating her alive from the inside.
06 Mar, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 28th comment:
So… that would be plausible in real life, but not online?
06 Mar, 2009, Scandum wrote in the 29th comment:
Yes, if you get possessed by a demon and impregnate your girlfriend with unholy seed you're pretty much screwed in real life.
06 Mar, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 30th comment:
I think we must be operating on total different real world vs. online world assumptions here, so I'll just declare incomprehension and move on. :rolleyes:
07 Mar, 2009, Tyche wrote in the 31st comment:
Scandum said:
Yes, if you get possessed by a demon and impregnate your girlfriend with unholy seed you're pretty much screwed in real life.

Ah… usually the possessed is convinced by the demon that the child is demon spawn, when in reality it's not. Not only does this provide a suitably shocking plot twist at the end, but provides a slew of moral lessons about sex outside of marriage. ;-)
07 Mar, 2009, Scandum wrote in the 32nd comment:
Tyche said:
Ah… usually the possessed is convinced by the demon that the child is demon spawn, when in reality it's not. Not only does this provide a suitably shocking plot twist at the end, but provides a slew of moral lessons about sex outside of marriage. ;-)

Good thinking there. By subsequently labeling the abortion as an act of murder a righteous sense of morality is instilled within the roleplayer as well.
08 Mar, 2009, Tyche wrote in the 33rd comment:
Scandum said:
Good thinking there. By subsequently labeling the abortion as an act of murder a righteous sense of morality is instilled within the roleplayer as well.

Even more sorts of lessons there.

I still can't figure out why they would ban you as the forum is filled with all sorts of off-color, amusing and not so amusing anecdotes.
08 Mar, 2009, Sandi wrote in the 34th comment:
Tyche said:
I still can't figure out why they would ban you as the forum is filled with all sorts of off-color, amusing and not so amusing anecdotes.

Come on, you're talking to Scandum. He tried to get banned, and we know he's rather skilled at it. Still, I think it might be considered a feather in his cap. People that put up with Mr. Bane obviously have thick skins.
20.0/34