21 Feb, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 21st comment:
Votes: 0
I think there's a compiler flag to suppress warnings. Open up man gcc (or man g++) and search for "suppress", "disable", "warning", something like that. (Searching is done by typing "/" followed by the text to search for, then enter. Then, 'n' will bring you to the next match. If you know any vi, the keybindings are the same.)
21 Feb, 2009, Scandum wrote in the 22nd comment:
DavidHaley said:
What? I have found that it works beautifully in practice. How has it not worked for you?

Not to sound sexist, but just like with driving, programming like a girl kills most of the fun.
21 Feb, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 23rd comment:
I apologize for my bluntness but that is an utterly ridiculous, not to mention offensive, thing to say. I could make some comment about hoping you write all your code in hex or something silly like that, but it's not worth it.
21 Feb, 2009, Igabod wrote in the 24th comment:
Ok, I added -Wno-write-strings to C_FLAGS after -Wall I still get all the const warnings so DH was right. Any other suggestions?
21 Feb, 2009, Davion wrote in the 25th comment:
Igabod said:
Any other suggestions?

Fix them? It's not exactly a warning that should just be ignored; const is being unused in a horrible way!
21 Feb, 2009, Igabod wrote in the 26th comment:
I will get around to those when I'm feeling more patient. I'd rather fix all the errors that pop up first though and that becomes difficult when a thousand warnings per file pop up as well.
21 Apr, 2009, Whiskey wrote in the 27th comment:
In most cases, it's best to just NOT rehash LOW4 code unless totally necessary. And by that, I am referring to cleaning up the more aesthetic messes left behind by Sage and company. It's simply not worth rewritting hundreds if not thousands of lines of code so long as the bugger works.

Now wether or not "works" is efficient from a programming perspective, is another topic.
22 Apr, 2009, Igabod wrote in the 28th comment:
it may not be worth it to you, but for those of us that care about the continuation of the codebase it's a very worthwhile project. I'm not only looking for the codebase to continue to exist, I'm trying to actively make it a commonly used codebase again. This requires it to be a good starting place for admins who want to just jump right into their ideas. That means it needs to compile as cleanly as possible or else they'll look at it and decide it's not worth their effort to get it into working condition.
22 Apr, 2009, Guest wrote in the 29th comment:
Personally I'm 100% behind Igabod on this one. Too many codebases have been allowed to lapse into disrepair because people just didn't care enough to bother. The bugger may work without the cleanup, but so do most cars that don't get regular maintenance. The difference is you tend to like the unmaintained car a lot less because of the mechanical hacks done to keep it drivable but nothing more.
22 Apr, 2009, Whiskey wrote in the 30th comment:
I understand his motives behind what he's trying to accomplish, and in a sense, do support it on those very grounds. I'm of the L0W4 following myself. The bulk of my playing, coding and administrative efforts were spent on LOW4's. If I were to ever start up another MUD of my own (or play one for the matter), it'd almost certainly be on a L0W4, if not custom work.

But, to me it seems like a pipe dream.Be it at the hands of MMO's, or something more deeply rooted with the gaming culture itself today.

If you believe you can spark some life back into LOW4 in doing this, more power to you. I can't say that many are trying to bring this beast back to life, so hat's off to you on that.

Good luck.
22 Apr, 2009, Guest wrote in the 31st comment:
The effort to revive it is all Igabod's. I don't have anything to do with any of the GodWars codebases. I'm a Smaug man :)

I just support what he's doing in general because letting things sit stagnant for so long is at least part of why the hobby isn't more widely adopted. Almost nobody wants to spend their time cleaning up 15 years worth of development laziness.
24 Apr, 2009, Igabod wrote in the 32nd comment:
And I myself don't even want to clean up this crap storm of messy coding, but I do it because I'm tired of not having any decent muds of my preferred codebase available to play. I spent a few years searching for a good Low4 after Angelwars went down, found a few that went down after a short amount of time, and then when I didn't find any that were worthwhile I left the mudding community for a few years.

I'm not the first one who has done this and I wont be the last, but I am hoping that my efforts will at least prevent SOME of that. Maybe, just maybe, having a good low4 to start from will prevent some of the new coders from going straight to Dystopia (which is the main reason the godwars mudding community has gone to hell IMHO) and therefore it's not a pipe dream. It's a dream yes, but it's very possible that this dream can come to fruition. Maybe if I can wrangle a couple more godwars coders into my project it'll come to fruition sooner than my current projections of 5 to 6 years. I'll probably get around to turning this into a real collaboration project in the near future, but for now I don't have enough time to dedicate to such an effort. This will just have to take place in my free time till I get one or more of my current projects settled.

[edit to fix typo]
28 Jun, 2009, koheed wrote in the 33rd comment:
nah Iga im the Exact same way. i have played started on rawdawgs back in the day. it went down i went to fleamud. then flea went to hell so now i am coding trying to put up a fun mud that all my old friends can come and play just like the old fun "mudding" days.
20.0/33