11 Dec, 2008, Igabod wrote in the 41st comment:
Votes: 0
whats the addy of your mud Rojan QDel I'd like to check it out.

I'm sorry I can't help you with your space system, I've only tinkered with swr before and don't know anything about the space system.
11 Dec, 2008, Rojan QDel wrote in the 42nd comment:
legendsofthejedi.com:5656
http://www.legendsofthejedi.com/
11 Dec, 2008, Zenn wrote in the 43rd comment:
LotJ's space system is far removed from the normal SWR space system.. You're in for a surprise. :tongue:
11 Dec, 2008, Kayle wrote in the 44th comment:
Just FYI, my virus scanner detected a trojan when I clicked the Wiki link on your site. Whether it was actually a trojan or my overzealous avast! I'm not sure, but it never hurts to let people know.
11 Dec, 2008, Rojan QDel wrote in the 45th comment:
For some reason, the wiki always says that… It's very strange, since we haven't actually found any trojans there.
11 Dec, 2008, Kayle wrote in the 46th comment:
Out of sheer curiosity, Would you be willing to share your space system with the rest of the community? I'd really like to see if for curiosities sake…
11 Dec, 2008, Rojan QDel wrote in the 47th comment:
Well, the problem with that is that LotJ has had many, many coders, and to respect the work and wishes of each coder, we're really unable to release any of our major systems, since so many different people have contributed to them, and each has their own personal feelings about how their code should be handled. I'm personally allowed to release anything I write, but it makes up such a modular part of the space system that releasing it wouldn't be too helpful, since it's based off of so many other features that people before me have created. I have been considering releasing some of the features that I wrote from scratch, such as our formclan system, or our revamped leadership class, but never really got around to it.
11 Dec, 2008, Rojan QDel wrote in the 48th comment:
However, on a personal note, I would love to do some public work on the SWR FUSS codebase, ideally with other people involved as well.
11 Dec, 2008, Kayle wrote in the 49th comment:
Well stop in over at SmaugMuds then, I've inadvertently opened the proverbial floodgates, so to speak. :P
11 May, 2009, Rojan QDel wrote in the 50th comment:
To necropost a bit, we have made our space system much quicker, and much more efficient, by using LINK_FRONT to do simple linked list caching. When a ship is used, it is moved to the front of the ship list so that the next time it is used it can be found quicker, under the assumption that if a ship is used, it will soon be used again, because of the nature of the space system. Hooray for reducing one and a half minute lag in massive (~300 ship) space battles to about 10 seconds.
11 May, 2009, Zenn wrote in the 51st comment:
Seems to me that with using this code, ships that haven't been used in, say, three weeks could be removed from the pad automatically and placed in a 'storage' system on the planet, allowing a player to retrieve them.

Would reduce your ship pad clutter a bit.
11 May, 2009, Rojan QDel wrote in the 52nd comment:
We have a ship storage system for some ships as well, but decided not to implement it for ones landed on a pad for various IC reasons (they should be able to be hijacked, stolen, etc. wheneveR)
12 May, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 53rd comment:
I still think you could get much better performance still by indexing your container based on the attributes you're actually looking up. For instance if you search for ships by name, a simple std::map would get you very nice performance in the general case. I have trouble with the notion that anything a MUD is doing really needs to take ten whole seconds.
12 May, 2009, Rojan QDel wrote in the 54th comment:
The problem is that the ships are always looked up by different criteria.
12 May, 2009, ghasatta wrote in the 55th comment:
Rojan QDel said:
The problem is that the ships are always looked up by different criteria.
You've piqued my curiosity - can you describe the sorts of lookups a bit? Is it location based?
12 May, 2009, Rojan QDel wrote in the 56th comment:
Location based, name based, room based (by looking up the ship from a room inside of it), player based (see which ships a player owns or can pilot), target based (for AI ships to find potential targets to attack), etc.
12 May, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 57th comment:
The important question is not so much how ships can be looked up, for indeed that is very open-ended: the important question is which method(s) of looking up is/are the bottleneck in terms of performance. I suspect that the performance bottleneck comes from a rather specific subset of the longer list.
40.0/57