27 Nov, 2008, Igabod wrote in the 21st comment:
Votes: 0
just thought i'd point out that kudos means congratulations… no problem, i can't stand seeing anybody get jumped on like that for no good reason. i think everybody is just feeling the stress of the holidays and they let it slip into their posts. i'm sure they were only trying to offer some constructive criticism but it came out completely wrong and made them look slightly like jerks. i will say that the people who jumped on you are not normally like that… well most of the time…

edit to add: on a side note, i just looked at your services page and i thought i'd suggest that you make the part that says donations are one-time only a little easier to see. i had to actually look at it twice before i saw that part and seeing the prices there might scare some people off if they think it's a monthly fee. and you also might want to take into consideration that the subject of this post says free mud/webspace hosting and that makes it sound like that would be in the same package but on your site it says that the free mud hosting package doesn't have webspace. it's just a little bit confusing, cause you DO have free webspace hosting but thats a seperate package. anyway thanks for doing the free hosting, i remember when i started my first mud i didn't want to spend any money on it (i was in highschool and had no job) but couldn't find a free host anywhere cause the only ones that existed at the time were all full. eventually i found messiah.ath.cx but for some reason they shut down their server and i lost every bit of my work cause i had my backups in my shell and nowhere else (lesson learned). i also extend this thanks to zeno and slayn and any others i don't know about.
27 Nov, 2008, Hades_Kane wrote in the 22nd comment:
Zenn said:
[Edit]: Also, why can't we turn our torches and pitchforks towards something worthwhile? Like, Congress?

Nah, we finally have a comfortable Democratic majority, I think we can afford to put those away for a bit :p
29 Nov, 2008, Banner wrote in the 23rd comment:
We've upgraded the MUD packages and our free package is as follows:

Tier 0 Free Package That You Don't Have To Donate For
- 1.5% CPU Usage
- 1.5% MEM Usage (30mb)
- 200 MB Hard Drive Space
- 1 Login Account
- 2 Ports
- 0 Databases
- 0 Emails
- Webspace: Yes(cgi-bin N/A)

This change is reflected in current and prospective users. We've also made it clear in the account signup that while we are a free mud host, the price values that apparently confused all of you are donation values only, and is not necessary for free accounts. Keep in mind we are still getting situated ourselves as we only opened 2-3 days before the post, so the attacks on our service was less than necessary. While we may be a new MUD host, we are not new to servers, coding, web design, or administration in particular. Thank you for your time.
29 Nov, 2008, Cratylus wrote in the 24th comment:

I know you're trying to clarify, but I'm actually more confused now
than I was before. When I asked about the memory limit, you said:

Process tracking server-side is done percentage wise, so we provide the allotments as percentages. Since the server has 8GB of ram, 1% of that would be approximately 80mb.

But now you're saying it's been upgraded this way:

1.5% MEM Usage (30mb)

Wouldn't 1.5%, according to your previous message, be 120mb? Isn't
going from 80mb to 30mb a downgrade?

-Crat
http://lpmuds.net
29 Nov, 2008, Davion wrote in the 25th comment:
Banner said:

Tier 0 Free Package That You Don't Have To Donate For
- 1.5% CPU Usage
- 1.5% MEM Usage (30mb)
- 200 MB Hard Drive Space
- 1 Login Account
- 2 Ports
- 0 Databases
- 0 Emails
- Webspace: Yes(cgi-bin N/A)

This change is reflected in current and prospective users. We've also made it clear in the account signup that while we are a free mud host, the price values that apparently confused all of you are donation values only, and is not necessary for free accounts. Keep in mind we are still getting situated ourselves as we only opened 2-3 days before the post, so the attacks on our service was less than necessary. While we may be a new MUD host, we are not new to servers, coding, web design, or administration in particular. Thank you for your time.

Not attacks… opinions. The people here are thankfully, very opinionated and share it. Take it with a grain of salt (as you seem to have, and have listened to what they said)

I do think though, that offering a free account without all the necessary features for a MUD is a bit odd. You should at very least, offer some form of MySQL support (as most people wont even use it, unless they bring out a forum of sorts.) The specs you offer are nice and all, but 99% of the MUDs out there wont use up close to 120mb of ram, or even a 1% slice of your beastly CPU's.
29 Nov, 2008, Banner wrote in the 26th comment:
Cratylus said:

I know you're trying to clarify, but I'm actually more confused now
than I was before. When I asked about the memory limit, you said:

Process tracking server-side is done percentage wise, so we provide the allotments as percentages. Since the server has 8GB of ram, 1% of that would be approximately 80mb.

But now you're saying it's been upgraded this way:

1.5% MEM Usage (30mb)

Wouldn't 1.5%, according to your previous message, be 120mb? Isn't
going from 80mb to 30mb a downgrade?

-Crat
http://lpmuds.net

I misspoke. The server is 8gb, but the MUD server was only alloted 2gb.
20.0/26