15 Feb, 2008, drrck wrote in the 221st comment:
Votes: 0
Samson said:
Spoken like a true political liberal. Oh wait, that would be immature of me to say wouldn't it?

As a matter of fact, yes; it would be. And not that it's any of your business, but I happen to be middle-of-the-road politically.

Samson said:
I'm sorry you can't back yourself up with something more concrete than a case which should have been tried in patent court and not copyright court. Just because Apple thought Microsoft stole their code means nothing. The proof would have been in the source, which everyone knew Bill didn't steal. He saw the idea of a GUI and decided he wanted one too. Of course, the dark side of it all that nobody ever wants to discuss is that Apple itself "stole" the idea from Xerox Parc. That Apple got as far as they did in court back then actually just goes to prove how naive the courts were back then about software IP rights.

The defining case that "your side" came up with was one in which one of the two verdicts actually supported my arguments, so I don't see how you can make a claim about mine not being concrete enough.

And one of the points you've all been trying to pound home is that code is not the only copyrightable element of a program, right? Why, then, are you trying to argue that Microsoft's copying of a protected design element wasn't infringement simply because he didn't use their code?
15 Feb, 2008, KaVir wrote in the 222nd comment:
drrck said:
I guess the big question is whether said material is "virtually identical" to the claiming source or not. If it's close enough to be considered so, then proof of access or not, it's going to be considered infringement (from what I can tell).

I already cited the case of Twentieth Century-Fox Film Corp. v. Dieckhaus, where the court reversed a finding of infringement based solely on the similarities, stating "[t]he oral and documentary evidence in the record … establishes the fact that the defendant had no access to plaintiff's book unless the law of plagiarism permits the court to draw an inference contrary to such proof from its finding of similarities on comparison of the book with the picture."

In other words, once again quoting from the article, "The plaintiff must still meet some minimum threshold of proof which demonstrates that the inference of access is reasonable."

drrck said:
In the case that you've inadvertently used a copyrighted algorithm, I don't know that there's enough room to make the distinction between "substantially similar" and "virtually identical" as there would be with just source code, though.

Algorithms are not protected by copyright law.
15 Feb, 2008, Guest wrote in the 223rd comment:
DavidHaley said:
… blah blah blah …

Duly noted. Insulting liberals = bad. Insulting conservatives = perfectly ok. Forgive my complete and utter ignorance of the new order of things.

drrck said:
And one of the points you've all been trying to pound home is that code is not the only copyrightable element of a program, right? Why, then, are you trying to argue that Microsoft's copying of a protected design element wasn't infringement simply because he didn't use their code?

Because it's been argued several times in several places that what Apple sued for wasn't actually a protected design element, but rather that they sued over the general idea of a point-and-click graphical interface to the operating system. Suing as a copyright infringement was off the mark. They should have sued as a patent infringement. The idea of a GUI is not copyrightable, but it is certainly patentable.
15 Feb, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 224th comment:
It never ceases to amaze me how you can completely warp the point of a post, distorting words beyond recognition until they come out as a weapon you can use against a position that was never held. :sigh: In any case, my point was to object to your uncalled-for and irrelevant political insult, all the more inappropriate as coming from a site administrator; I believe I have elaborated that point sufficiently, and will stop here.
15 Feb, 2008, Guest wrote in the 225th comment:
I don't believe I warped the point of the post. You clearly object to insulting political comments directed at liberals, but seem to have no problem with the same directed at conservatives. It never ceases to amaze me how being blunt and cutting through the sugar coated crap to get to my point bothers you so much. But yeah, this would indeed be a good place to stop.
15 Feb, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 226th comment:
I beg to differ. I might regret going against my own suggestion, but which part of the following is unclear?
myself with emphasis added said:
Would you be happy if somebody informed you that you were acting in some stupid way because you were a conservative? It would be a ridiculous thing to say,
15 Feb, 2008, drrck wrote in the 227th comment:
KaVir said:
I already cited the case of Twentieth Century-Fox Film Corp. v. Dieckhaus, where the court reversed a finding of infringement based solely on the similarities, stating "[t]he oral and documentary evidence in the record … establishes the fact that the defendant had no access to plaintiff's book unless the law of plagiarism permits the court to draw an inference contrary to such proof from its finding of similarities on comparison of the book with the picture."

I don't know the details of that case, but I think it's safe to assume that there was probably a lot stronger evidence to disprove probable access in that case than their would be in the case of a MUD infringement, given the abundance of publically available code.

KaVir said:
Algorithms are not protected by copyright law.

Theoretically you're correct (and I also pointed this out earlier in the thread), but in practice, there are ways to copyright algorithms via obfuscated lawyer jibberish that I couldn't even begin to explain. There are examples online, though.
15 Feb, 2008, drrck wrote in the 228th comment:
Samson said:
Because it's been argued several times in several places that what Apple sued for wasn't actually a protected design element, but rather that they sued over the general idea of a point-and-click graphical interface to the operating system. Suing as a copyright infringement was off the mark. They should have sued as a patent infringement. The idea of a GUI is not copyrightable, but it is certainly patentable.

They weren't suing because Microsoft used the "idea of a GUI". They were suing because Microsoft used Apple's (or whoever's - doesn't matter) design of a desktop themed GUI, which included several design elements specific to the original (mouse pointer, desktop icons, etc.).
15 Feb, 2008, KaVir wrote in the 229th comment:
drrck said:
I don't know the details of that case, but I think it's safe to assume that there was probably a lot stronger evidence to disprove probable access in that case than their would be in the case of a MUD infringement, given the abundance of publically available code.

That would depend on the specific mud you were accused of infringing, but I pointed out the case in response to your suggestion that "If it's close enough to be considered so, then proof of access or not, it's going to be considered infringement". The case in question clearly demonstrates that some minimum threshold of proof is required, regardless of similarities.

drrck said:
Theoretically you're correct (and I also pointed this out earlier in the thread), but in practice, there are ways to copyright algorithms via obfuscated lawyer jibberish that I couldn't even begin to explain. There are examples online, though.

No, you cannot copyright algorithms. It's sometimes possible to patent them, and that's what was discussed earlier in the thread.
15 Feb, 2008, Guest wrote in the 230th comment:
drrck said:
Samson said:

They weren't suing because Microsoft used the "idea of a GUI". They were suing because Microsoft used Apple's (or whoever's - doesn't matter) design of a desktop themed GUI, which included several design elements specific to the original (mouse pointer, desktop icons, etc.).

And they very likely got told to take a hike because they didn't get the idea from Apple. They both "stole" the idea from Xerox PARC. The whole mouse, pointer, desktop, icons thing. However Xerox didn't sue, Apple did. Copyright would have required that elements from Apples actual design be taken. Not that the general idea of a GUI be implemented. Though if MS did somehow get their hands on Apple's code, that would have been an entirely different situation.
15 Feb, 2008, drrck wrote in the 231st comment:
KaVir said:
That would depend on the specific mud you were accused of infringing, but I pointed out the case in response to your suggestion that "If it's close enough to be considered so, then proof of access or not, it's going to be considered infringement". The case in question clearly demonstrates that some minimum threshold of proof is required, regardless of similarities.

If it's what the court would consider "virtually identical", I think you'd have one hell of a time trying to convince a court that you didn't have access - even if the original source was closed. If it's just "substantially similar", then obviously the threshold of proof would go up.

KaVir said:
No, you cannot copyright algorithms. It's sometimes possible to patent them, and that's what was discussed earlier in the thread.

They qualify as "non-literal elements", so either you're wrong about non-literal elements being copyrightable, or you're wrong about algorithms being copyrightable; take your pick.
15 Feb, 2008, syn wrote in the 232nd comment:
No, that would be like saying Guns shoot bullets, so all guns must shoot all bullets.

Either that is true, or the world is flat, take your pick.

-Syn
16 Feb, 2008, KaVir wrote in the 233rd comment:
drrck said:
If it's what the court would consider "virtually identical", I think you'd have one hell of a time trying to convince a court that you didn't have access - even if the original source was closed. If it's just "substantially similar", then obviously the threshold of proof would go up.

Once again, on the issue of access and copying it's the plaintiff who has the burden of proof, not the defendant. Also remember that "…there must be at least some other evidence which would establish a reasonable possibility that the complaining work was available to the alleged infringer. As noted, two works may be identical in every detail, but, if the alleged infringer created the accused work independently or both works were copied from a common source in the public domain, then there is no infringement".

drrck said:
They qualify as "non-literal elements",

No, they don't. Any protection for algorithms would need to come from patents or trade secrets. It is outside the scope of copyright law.
16 Feb, 2008, drrck wrote in the 234th comment:
KaVir said:
Once again, on the issue of access and copying it's the plaintiff who has the burden of proof, not the defendant.

It was a manner of speech. I was saying that the odds are extremely stacked against you in that situation. The more similar the material, the less "proof" you'd need. Your own sources even say that, albeit inversely. At the point of "virtually identical" material, I'd imagine even the slightest plausible possibility of access would be enough.

KaVir said:
No, they don't. Any protection for algorithms would need to come from patents or trade secrets. It is outside the scope of copyright law.

According to you, the actual algorithm itself may not be copyrightable, but its "tangible expression within the work" is.
16 Feb, 2008, drrck wrote in the 235th comment:
syn said:
No, that would be like saying Guns shoot bullets, so all guns must shoot all bullets.

Either that is true, or the world is flat, take your pick.

-Syn

Hehe. Not quite ;)
16 Feb, 2008, drrck wrote in the 236th comment:
Well, this was interesting: http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ61.ht...

"Copyright protection is not available for ideas, program logic, algorithms, systems, methods, concepts, or layouts."

Taking all of those into account, I fail to see what's left that's covered by "non-literal elements". Organization, design, and all the other stuff you listed earlier are quite obviously not protected.
16 Feb, 2008, KaVir wrote in the 237th comment:
A specific expression of an algorithm could be copyrighted, but the protection wouldn't extend to the algorithm itself. The distinction is an important one - unlike protected non-literal elements such as program architecture, "structure, sequence and organization", operational modules, and computer-user interface, there is nothing in copyright law stopping you from copying an algorithm.
16 Feb, 2008, drrck wrote in the 238th comment:
KaVir said:
A specific expression of an algorithm could be copyrighted, but the protection wouldn't extend to the algorithm itself. The distinction is an important one - unlike protected non-literal elements such as program architecture, "structure, sequence and organization", operational modules, and computer-user interface, there is nothing in copyright law stopping you from copying an algorithm.

All those things seem to be unprotectable according to that last source.

Also, I don't see any distinction between "algorithm" and "specific expression of an algorithm", personally. There's only two parts to an implementation of an algorithm: the algorithm itself, and the code implementing it. Anything beyond that is just word games, in my opinion.
16 Feb, 2008, Darwin wrote in the 239th comment:
drrck said:
Also, I don't see any distinction between "algorithm" and "specific expression of an algorithm", personally. There's only two parts to an implementation of an algorithm: the algorithm itself, and the code implementing it. Anything beyond that is just word games, in my opinion.
Emphasis mine.
Your personal beliefs and opinions are not enough to sway the laws.
16 Feb, 2008, KaVir wrote in the 240th comment:
drrck said:
KaVir said:

All those things seem to be unprotectable according to that last source.

You claimed the exact same thing 140 posts ago, back in post 98. I'll repeat the same quote I made then.

http://www.bitlaw.com/source/cases/copyr...

"Most courts confronted with the issue have determined that copyright protection extends not only to the literal elements of a program, i.e., its source code and object code, but also to its "nonliteral" elements, such as the program architecture, "structure, sequence and organization", operational modules, and computer-user interface. See, e.g., Computer Assocs. Int'l, Inc. v. Altai, Inc., 982 F.2d 693 (2d Cir. 1992)"

drrck said:
Also, I don't see any distinction between "algorithm" and "specific expression
of an algorithm", personally.

http://www.bitlaw.com/copyright/unprotec...

"An example is the best way to explain this idea/expression distinction. Suppose that an inventor discovers a process for cold fusion–an invention that would revolutionize society as we know it. If the inventor were to write down on paper a description of the process, that description would be protected against copyright infringement from the moment the work is fixed. If she were to publish her paper, no one would be able to make additional copies of the paper without her permission. However, anyone reading her paper could implement her process without fear of copyright infringement, since the process itself–the idea–is not protected under copyright law. In fact, it would even be allowable for someone to write a competing paper describing her invention, as long as the competing paper described the invention in its own words and did not take any "expression" from the original paper."
220.0/255