10 Apr, 2008, Magus wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
I am totally fascinated by EmpireMUD and its code. I recently downloaded this codebase thanks to SAMSON and find it to be truly intriguing. A lot of it is unfinished, but that's part of the fun, isn't it?

Well I'm thinking about taking the codebase and turning it into some type of Chrono Trigger themed mud.

Well sorta, I mean I don't really know.
Just tell me what you think about this codebase and any modifications you think would make it a better MUD. I could use the ideas because as soon as I get hosted, I'm going to see what can be done to make this codebase popular and eventually lead to a playerbase.

To Zenn and Xion:
Yall are still my homies and I have much love for ya, but curiosity finally got the better of me.
I'll let you know what I come up with if you like and we can compare notes.
11 Apr, 2008, Zenn wrote in the 2nd comment:
*quickly sends his super-secret ninja assassin team to destroy the competition*

Wait.

You're going to decimate the code with anime crap? O.o

First of all, it really doesn't have a 'theme' as there are no areas built buy builders. You could change the races, skills etc, which wouldn't be too hard, and maybe add more building types, etc

You really should learn from the horrible-ness of Anime MUDs though.
11 Apr, 2008, Zeno wrote in the 3rd comment:
Chrono Trigger != anime
11 Apr, 2008, Zenn wrote in the 4th comment:
Sorry. I looked at the picture on the right hand side of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrono_Trig...

and screamed 'ZOMG ANIME EwWWWW'
11 Apr, 2008, Kayle wrote in the 5th comment:
Um.. That's a Super Nintendo Box.. How is that Anime?
11 Apr, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 6th comment:
Besides, some anime MUDs being bad doesn't mean that all anime MUDs, much less anime in general, are bad…

One could say similar things about the "horribleness" of many cheesy SW MUDs out there, or SMAUG clones for that matter, but that is hardly a reason to dislike SW or fantasy in general.
11 Apr, 2008, Guest wrote in the 7th comment:
The EmpireMUD codebase sounded quite interesting when I first found it. I forget where that even was now, but it sat in my collection for a long time and I figured it may as well get put up here. The features it claims to have might even have been enough to influence me to use it back in 1997 when Alsherok first opened under the Lands of Solan name.

As far as Chrono Trigger, I looked at the link just now and I would have mistaken it for anime too without having been told it's not :)
12 Apr, 2008, Magus wrote in the 8th comment:
Chrono Trigger is Final Fantasy 7's Great-Great-Grandpa. I found it to be the best damn video game of all time for me, and of course squaresoft pretty much used what worked from chrono trigger (eg "airships") and added cinematics to make final fantasy 7. But enough of my ranting, I am going to tell you right now that I have always hated sony playstation for what they did to nintendo… but you have to be in business somehow.

Overall, that is just my opinion of things. My perceptions can be different from the perceptions of others, so I shall not venture further to say something that may be offensive to someone else. However much I like Chrono Trigger, it was not really an anime until later when sony redid it to add cinematics.

But this has nothing to do with empire mud and I really don't know why I started this post. So now I'm going to just publish it anyway and think about what I was going to say.
12 Apr, 2008, Hades_Kane wrote in the 9th comment:
I agree Chrono Trigger is one of the better games out there, and one of Square's top games. But hey, there's a reason our MUD is named End of Time and has a ton of Chrono series based influence despite us being predominately Final Fantasy based :p

But to amend a bit of your history there…

Airships existed in the Final Fantasy series long before Chrono Trigger came out, and if anything, Chrono Trigger's success could be attributed to the name Square built up with the Final Fantasy series, and adapted some aspects of what worked from the earlier Final Fantasy series (eg airships, elemental based magic, great storytelling combined with emotionally driven musical scores, active time battle (ATB) combat) combined with some interesting new concepts to create Chrono Trigger.

Also, in regards to the Playstation vs. Nintendo issue, Sony and Nintendo were originally working together to create a viable disc-based game system, but then Nintendo basically betrayed Sony, secretly pulling out of their agreement and pursuing a completely different type of deal. Using the technology that they were developing for Nintendo, they eventually advanced to create the Playstation. I believe the fallout between Nintendo and Squaresoft had nothing to do with Sony, and there has been speculation that Squaresoft going with Sony attributed greatly to Playstation's eventual dominance over Nintendo. Sounds like to me that Nintendo pulling out of their deal with Sony amounted to them screwing themselves, and Square going to Sony was really a bit of Karma.

Note that as it stands now, I have a Wii which I'm very happy with and I have no interest in the PS3, and with that said, I support Nintendo over Sony, but you can't let that cloud how that actually went down.

Also, one of the original creators of the Chrono series was also the creator of the Dragonball series. The original character designs for all of them were thus based very heavily on an Anime style, and Chrono looking much like Goku could be attributed to the distinct style of the guy who designed both. So yeah, it had a very heavy anime influence from the inception of the game, and even the status screens are drawn in the anime style. Likewise, actual Anime had been created for/from the game a year or so after it had been released, it just wasn't until Square ported it to the PSX that actual anime video clips were seen directly alongside the game itself. And it would have been Square that "redid" the game, not Sony.

On to the topic at hand… I'm not familiar with EmpireMUD, so I can't really be of any help with suggestions as to whether or not that would mesh well with a Chrono Trigger based MUD. Also, if you are thinking about creating one more or less to have a place with a heavy Chrono influence to play in, I would recommend you at least checking my MUD out. This isn't just some cheap ploy to gain a player, but if you are mostly looking for a Chrono environment to play in, End of Time might settle quite a bit of that desire. If you feel like you have some substantial ideas that would make for a great MUD, you might find yourself able to contribute to a game that has significant Chrono influence.

We're not open yet, but have several years of development behind us already. Some of our notable Chrono influences include (but certainly isn't limited to): Reptites and Robots as playable races, a "colored" element system based on the four base elements and holy/unholy being red/green/yellow/blue/black/white more in the style of Chrono Cross with players at creation able to choose what their innate element is, 11 areas directly inspired from the Chrono series with many more planned, room-based elemental fields that affect spells cast in the same vein of Chrono Cross, a planned single/dual/triple tech system that will give another level of depth to grouping, misc. influences such as the ultimate 'dark' mage path being named Magus, and more.

Truthfully, the game may not be based heavily enough in the Chrono series for your liking, but I think it would be worth your time to consider looking into. I know I looked for a while for a game with enough of a Chrono influence but never quite found one, and I think that the Chrono series would make for a great theme for a MUD, and to my knowledge were are one of the only MUDs that has taken significant steps to give it a notable influence in our game. If we aren't what you are looking for, you might find some inspiration in your potential future project.

Either way , good luck with whatever you choose to do, and if you do decide to make a Chrono based game, be sure to update us here on it because I would be interested in checking it out and seeing what you've managed to do :)
14 Apr, 2008, Magus wrote in the 10th comment:
As I said before, I'm not going to make reference to nintendo/sony because I heard that it was the other way around and would not like to offend anyone. Sony broke off with Nintendo to make their own gaming system. But I refuse to partake in such an argument. Only trolls thrive on pissing other people off and I'm not one of them.

But you seem to know your stuff. I'll give you that, Hades. I might even try your MUD just to have a taste for what's to come!

Other than that, I just need to get hosted now and we'll see about how the code runs from there. I promise to give updates when I make my changes afterward. Maybe just maybe I can make this into something interesting that people will like.
14 Apr, 2008, Kjwah wrote in the 11th comment:
Zenn said:
Also, in regards to the Playstation vs. Nintendo issue, Sony and Nintendo were originally working together to create a viable disc-based game system, but then Nintendo basically betrayed Sony, secretly pulling out of their agreement and pursuing a completely different type of deal.

I thought that it was simply the fact that Sony wanted to go with the CDROM type media and Nintendo was worried about copy protection/pirating of the software and so they went their own ways? Without the whole, betrayal thing? lol.. I thought it was more of them just not agreeing on the product that the companies wanted.

EDIT: Not to say I'm correct or anything, but that's how it was explained to me by some folks I work with that worked for Nintendo previously.

Also, I'd like to add, Chrono Trigger is quite possible one of my favorite RPGs.
15 Apr, 2008, Kayle wrote in the 12th comment:
I'm pretty sure it was Hades_Kane that said that, not Zenn, there Kjwah.
15 Apr, 2008, Hades_Kane wrote in the 13th comment:
Magus said:
As I said before, I'm not going to make reference to nintendo/sony because I heard that it was the other way around and would not like to offend anyone. Sony broke off with Nintendo to make their own gaming system. But I refuse to partake in such an argument. Only trolls thrive on pissing other people off and I'm not one of them.

I would find it difficult to believe anyone would actually get offended over that. Have you encountered people that actually take what gaming system they prefer that seriously?

But yeah, that's just what I've read on the situation, who knows, right?

Good luck with your MUD.
15 Apr, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 14th comment:
Hades_Kane said:
I would find it difficult to believe anyone would actually get offended over that.

If console fanbois are anything like Mac vs Windows vs Linux fanbois, then I would not be surprised at all to see such statements cause streaks of vengeful fury unleashed upon the heathens of the Other Side of the Great Holy War. :wink:
15 Apr, 2008, Kjwah wrote in the 15th comment:
Kayle said:
I'm pretty sure it was Hades_Kane that said that, not Zenn, there Kjwah.

Pretty sure the forums didn't put the correct name then, I don't manually quote people, I use the built in quote feature. :D

Not that i could change it now. lol Though, it's kind of odd that it quoted Zenn… Was thinking maybe I misquoted but that wouldn't explain how I got Hades text in there.. Like I said, I use the built in quote feature, I don't manually quote..
16 Apr, 2008, Conner wrote in the 16th comment:
DavidHaley said:
Hades_Kane said:
I would find it difficult to believe anyone would actually get offended over that.

If console fanbois are anything like Mac vs Windows vs Linux fanbois, then I would not be surprised at all to see such statements cause streaks of vengeful fury unleashed upon the heathens of the Other Side of the Great Holy War. :wink:

You mean the final fantasy series wasn't based on a series of real life incidents involving disputes about which console was the best? ;)

Hmm, on second thought, maybe it was Street Fighter rather than Final Fantasy…
20 Apr, 2008, Magus wrote in the 17th comment:
It was Super Mario Bros.
And yeah, it was based on the story of a plumber's really bad 'shroom trip.

…I mean really, jumping down drains? Giant green drains? A plumber's nightmare if you ask me.
and then there were turtles. The boss of which being an evil, hammer throwing, fire breathing turtle. When in actuality, the plumber was having a tool malfunction at the time of this trip. The Ascetiline(sp?) torch he was using to fix the drainpipe and his hammer fell from his toolbelt, when he looked down there was a turtle, it grinned at him and he thought it threw the hammer. SO there you have it. A plumber's trip in the sewers.

…or maybe it was final fantasy….
…or probably friday the 13th….
…or possibly Mike Tyson's punch out!!…
23 Apr, 2008, Kjwah wrote in the 18th comment:
Magus said:
It was Super Mario Bros.
And yeah, it was based on the story of a plumber's really bad 'shroom trip.

…I mean really, jumping down drains? Giant green drains? A plumber's nightmare if you ask me.
and then there were turtles. The boss of which being an evil, hammer throwing, fire breathing turtle. When in actuality, the plumber was having a tool malfunction at the time of this trip. The Ascetiline(sp?) torch he was using to fix the drainpipe and his hammer fell from his toolbelt, when he looked down there was a turtle, it grinned at him and he thought it threw the hammer. SO there you have it. A plumber's trip in the sewers.

That's quite the story.. now it all makes sense.. :D

EDIT: Holy crap, it actually quoted the right person instead of Zeno for the first time in quite a while…..
25 Apr, 2008, Zenn wrote in the 19th comment:
I actually think EmpireMUD would be far easier to transition into for non-mudders, considering that it has at least something that resembles graphics.
27 Apr, 2008, Magus wrote in the 20th comment:
True say. I have my mud looking like "World of Empirecraft"
zeno.biyg.org port 2101

Although now I need to make it so that not everyone is hardcore.
I can't seem to find the pfiles either, so modifying stats and information is gonna be a bit rough.

Bah, I need a coder. I'm trying my best to actually make this mud something cool but I really need help. I thought it would be easier.
0.0/65