12 Mar, 2008, Zeigfreid wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
Hi

I'm Ziggy, and I'm new to MUDing. I'm interested in building, I've been a DM for a long time, but these days I am finding myself with fewer oportunities and a gradually increasing desire to learn about programing. I've kind of decided that MUDing will be the right way to get started. I've heard that many MUDs begin as pre-built worlds that are customized by their admin… a "codebase"? I'd like to find an RPIMUD (that's how I role) that started this way, so that I can look at the codebase (I use this word very tentatively, correct me if I am using the wrong word here) while I am playing the MUD. I've never done any programing before in my life (mid twenties), but I am looking to learn (by reading, experimenting, and, yes, eventually I would like to use MUD buidering as a sort of sandbox towards my endeavor). I would appreciate help getting started.

Does this make sense? Adult, knows nothing about programing but wants to, using a MUD codebase as a way to have access to a body of code, playing in a MUD built from that codebase to have context for all those letters and numbers. Yes?

Nice to meet you all!

z.

PS MUDing feels like it would be pronounced Mooding… what do you guys say when you mean "to MUD" in the present continuous or as a gerund?
12 Mar, 2008, Tailsthefox wrote in the 2nd comment:
What theme are you looking for?
12 Mar, 2008, Zeigfreid wrote in the 3rd comment:
Hi

Oh, anything I suppose. Fantasy rather than Sci-fi? Something creative? I mean, the more suggestions the merrier so if you have some ideas don't feel you need to cleave to my tastes. Thanks!

z.
12 Mar, 2008, Tailsthefox wrote in the 4th comment:
Well personally I like to stick to anime-themed, But it depends on your personal opinion.
12 Mar, 2008, Mabus wrote in the 5th comment:
First, welcome to the addiction that is MUDding.

Secondly, if you wish to design a game there are several ways to go about it. The best, in my opinion, is to plan exactly what you want to do before you even start looking for codebases. Start a forum. Get others of like mind (or that you want) involved in the planning. Brainstorm. Write everything down. Make decisions on what needs to be in the game.

Once you know what will (or should) happen within your "world", and since you are a beginning coder, you could look at the resources that exist to find one closest to your vision.

The important part, to me, is to learn a lot of self sufficiency. Learn to google for answers before asking. Go to MUD websites, like this one, and use the search functions. Whatever codebase you choose, learn the programming language from the ground up (Yes, even "Hello World"). If the codebase has an active community then join it and actively participate.

Read. Study. Try. Read some more.

Some would say "Download 'X' and start tweaking 'Y'." as a method to learn. Others will say to learn C, some C++, some Python, Java…, and others will argue about whether there is a best language at all for MUDs. What really matters at your stage (again, to me at least) is to grab the spark of creativity that is drawing you this way and get all the thoughts down before you become entrenched in what already exists.

Well, post is long enough to choke a summoned horse at this stage…

Could check out:
Argila RPI Engine
Shadows of Isildur RPI Engine

No idea on them, but they seem to fit what you asked. Found them by googling "rpi mud codebase".

Good luck.
13 Mar, 2008, Zeigfreid wrote in the 6th comment:
Hi

Definitely all sounds like good advice. Especially the part about googling first and asking questions later. I learned yesterday evening the distinction between "builder" and "coder" while I was looking at some sights. I will deffinitely be starting with "hello world" as far as coding goes.

I checked out tbamud.com, which is apparently a training ground for builders on a particular codebase: that sounds really helpful. As for the hello world stuff, I think I will start with general guides instead of anything directly related to MUDding. I want to build up the basics before I get anything going.

As for what I want, and starting forums etc… I'm not sure that I am at that stage yet. My main goal is to learn to program, and to be able to do that through storytelling. I've got tons of ideas within a world that I have been wanting to storytell in for a long time (my D&D group dried up, and for two years these ideas have just been talking to each other: mutating), but to talk about them in terms of how I would implement… at this moment it's impossible! I always have a world in my head, some stories that need telling and places that need describing. Having a codebase to work on will be like having a world to sculpt, places to work out my creativity; a sandbox to play in.

You will definitely be seeing more of me here though!

z.
14 Mar, 2008, Konalan wrote in the 7th comment:
From the looks of things, it seems you've never been an immortal on a MUD before. I would suggest getting such a position just to gain some experience before you start making your own MUD. Believe me, it helps. A good place to become an immortal quickly and gain experience building is the Smaug Building Institute. Following the simple instructions should get you an immortal on the MUD so you can begin building. It has all the resources you need to build in Smaug as well as references for helpful sites detailing some of the commands. Zeno's signature should have a link.
14 Mar, 2008, syn wrote in the 8th comment:
As it looks, and as you fall and get dirty in after a rain storm, mud-ding, mud, muds.

-Syn The above is all good, so I comment on the pronunciation :)
19 Mar, 2008, Zeigfreid wrote in the 9th comment:
Hi

I definitely agree that I should both play and build before I get working on any projects of my own. I'll check out this Smaug Building Institute, definitely. First though, I'm going to join a MUD and actually play for a while (I really haven't played a MUD since I was in high-school (eight years ago?)).

z.
19 Mar, 2008, Conner wrote in the 10th comment:
Well, there are a few of them to choose from even just on the mud listing at this site. Enjoy whichever one you decide to try out. :smile:
0.0/10