13 Jan, 2008, Xalin wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
Who's heard of it and what do they think of it if they looked into it?

http://www.digitalmars.com/d/ - Website that tells the features of the language and has a compiler on the website.

D is a newer programming language that was released to the public just over a year ago. (January 2, 2007). Now I have heard from a few people they would like to see someone make a new Codebase from this language already and there isn't even Books/Guides out for the D language yet. I currrently have one Pre-Ordered on Amazon but thats besides the point.

Anyway, I was just wanting to know other coders views on this new language and if they have or will think about picking the new language up.
13 Jan, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 2nd comment:
I've heard of it, it's been in the works for a long time. As far as I can tell it is fairly marginal in terms of usage, not to mention still experimental and unfinished. I believe that the main features that distinguish it from C++ are hardly unique to D; many more mature and mainstream languages allow the same stuff. So, I don't really see much point in using D myself.

As a standard disclaimer, I haven't actually used it myself so maybe if I did I'd fall in love with it; all of this is from an outsider's perspective.
14 Jan, 2008, Xalin wrote in the 3rd comment:
Figured I'd get more responses then that to this thread….. go figure heh
14 Jan, 2008, Conner wrote in the 4th comment:
Xalin said:
Figured I'd get more responses then that to this thread….. go figure heh

Sorry, figured you only wanted responses from those of us who'd actually heard of and held an opinion of this D language. I fall into neither category, so I'd remained silent for you. :shrug:
15 Jan, 2008, Guest wrote in the 5th comment:
I may have run into something on D at one point in time, but since I don't have time to learn a language nobody is actually using, I didn't really figure commenting on it was appropriate :)
15 Jan, 2008, Xalin wrote in the 6th comment:
I did give a website. Heh
15 Jan, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 7th comment:
Xalin said:
I did give a website. Heh

Did you expect people to go do research on the language? Especially in order to answer the question you asked:
Xalin said:
Who's heard of it and what do they think of it if they looked into it?
15 Jan, 2008, Xalin wrote in the 8th comment:
Nah, just figured as the general community here are coders they might be interested in actually looking into the site as I've heard from a few people that it would be very interesting seeing a mud written in D.
15 Jan, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 9th comment:
Eh, I guess so. :wink: It's fairly unusual to see MUDs written in proper C++, much less languages like Java or C#, and even more unusual in languages more off the beat path. I think the most common language people know here is C, and then probably some PHP.
15 Jan, 2008, Kjwah wrote in the 10th comment:
Xalin said:
Nah, just figured as the general community here are coders they might be interested in actually looking into the site as I've heard from a few people that it would be very interesting seeing a mud written in D.

There is a MUD written in D. Can't remember where I saw it at. I might still have it on my system as well.

I remember looking at the code though and not liking it. Probably why I never looked further into D. It just seems almost like a pointless language. I also believe the language was out well before January of 2007.
15 Jan, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 11th comment:
Yes, it's been in the works for a long time, but I guess this recent release is supposed to be an "official" or "production" release of sorts. (The pre-1.0 versions first appeared in 2001.)
15 Jan, 2008, Kjwah wrote in the 12th comment:
Kjwah said:
Xalin said:

There is a MUD written in D. Can't remember where I saw it at. I might still have it on my system as well.

Found it. Not sure if this is the same MUD I found previously but there is a MUD on there listed under D

http://sourcery.dyndns.org/wiki.cgi?Open...

Quick link to just download it: ftp://sourcery.dyndns.org/archive/servers/othe...
15 Jan, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 13th comment:
It would be nice if the site had links to the project home pages too, when available. But thanks for the link Kjwah.

EDIT:
Interestingly enough, most results for "LMUD" on Google link to a MUD written in Lisp…
15 Jan, 2008, Xalin wrote in the 14th comment:
Now I'm confused…. google'd it as David and found LMud to be written in Lisp… Meh, should probably download quick and take a look since I know what the code looks like.

Ermm…. doesn't seem that link is downloadable.
15 Jan, 2008, Kjwah wrote in the 15th comment:
Xalin said:
Now I'm confused…. google'd it as David and found LMud to be written in Lisp… Meh, should probably download quick and take a look since I know what the code looks like.

Ermm…. doesn't seem that link is downloadable.

You can download it.. I did it just earlier today. heh. And just now. Anyways, here's a little snip from one of the files(actually, it's half the file).

private import std.socket;
private import std.thread;
private import std.stream;
private import std.c.linux.linux;
private import std.c.linux.socket;
extern(C) int errno;
extern (C) uint sleep(uint);
extern(C) uint usleep(uint);
class asyncsocket_c : Stream
{
this(size_t bufferSize = 8192)
{
buffer = new ubyte[bufferSize];
updateAttribs();
}

void disconnect()
{
if (!s) return ;
s.close();
s = null;
updateAttribs();
}

void connect(char[] host, ushort port)
{
disconnect();
s = new TcpSocket(new InternetAddress(host,port));
updateAttribs();
}

bool isConnected()
{
return isopen;
}

void stop()
{
if (!t) return;
terminate = true;
t.wait();
t = null;
}

void start()
{
stop();
terminate = false;
t = new Thread(&run);
t.start();
}

bool isRunning()
{
return !terminate;
}
15 Jan, 2008, Xalin wrote in the 16th comment:
Yea…. it's definately D
16 Jan, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 17th comment:
Sorry, I wasn't trying to say that the download was Lisp. I was just trying to say that searching for LMUD gives stuff in Lisp, not D. :smile:
16 Jan, 2008, Xalin wrote in the 18th comment:
Oh it said Lmud was coded in Lisp as well on some other sites.
16 Jan, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 19th comment:
I suspect that there are several projects by the name of LMUD; it makes sense for a Lisp MUD to be called LMUD after all. :smile: If we knew what the project site for this D-LMUD was, we could probably learn more about it and what the 'L' stands for…
16 Jan, 2008, Kjwah wrote in the 20th comment:
DavidHaley said:
I suspect that there are several projects by the name of LMUD; it makes sense for a Lisp MUD to be called LMUD after all. :smile: If we knew what the project site for this D-LMUD was, we could probably learn more about it and what the 'L' stands for…

Yeah, I've been trying to find a project site for the MUD but haven't found crap yet. Actually, just found an old blog the writer used to maintain but hasn't been posted in since 06'. He's posted within 10 weeks or so on Linux Journal but I haven't found any actual live site with information on the project.

Anyways, his name is(I'm assuming, it's what he was using on the "D" mailing list) Ameer Armaly. put those together such as ameer_armaly and then add an at hotmail dot com afterwards and you'd have his email address as well. If you want to pursue it any further.. lol
0.0/23