23 Dec, 2007, Avaeryn wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
I have been thinking quite extensively of a game players might play with a mob. Something along the lines of the three cups and the pea. Not sure if you're familiar with this, but basically the mob would hide the pea under one cup. Then the cups would be switched around several times while the player tries to keep track of where the pea is. The player guesses cup 1, cup 2, or cup 3. The mob picks up the cup to reveal if the pea is there or not. If the player is correct he/she/it wins. If the player is incorrect the mob wins.

Question 1: Would this be better if implemented with code or mprog?
If code, then I have to bug the coder, and it may or may not be put in place. If prog, I think I can write that. Just need to toss it around and seek out input/ideas from other builders.

Question 2:Any ideas on possible scenarios for how this prog might be written?
I'm thinking along the lines of a speech prog triggered by the text "cup one", "cup two" or "cup three".
Within the prog I would use random% to figure out if the player won or lost. Then with mpecho I could display ascii art to the player.
Another mpechoaround would let others know if the player won or not.

I'll be testing some progs to see how this can be implemented and share the prog later on.

Thoughts?
23 Dec, 2007, Asylumius wrote in the 2nd comment:
To me that kind of game seems like one that would rely on seeing. People play that kind of game with a ball and cups or with cards (Three Card Monte). I'm not really sure how I would go about it. I thought I'd share a prog game that I used to play on another MUD.

To gist is you give a mob some money and he rolls 3 dice. The more dice you match, the bigger the prize.

Example:
You give the gambler 2500 copper.
The gambler tells you 'Choose your number, between 1 and 6.'

<1013(100%) 1126(100%) 81%|civilized|12 PM> You say '4'
The gambler rolls the dice.
The gambler says 'The dice read: 4 3 1'
The gambler tells you 'You matched one die.'
The gambler gives you 31 silver coins, 5 copper coins.

I wrote a similar game for my MUD, which used a combination of hard coded say/give progs.
23 Dec, 2007, Avaeryn wrote in the 3rd comment:
Asylumius said:
To me that kind of game seems like one that would rely on seeing. People play that kind of game with a ball and cups or with cards (Three Card Monte). I'm not really sure how I would go about it. I thought I'd share a prog game that I used to play on another MUD.

To gist is you give a mob some money and he rolls 3 dice. The more dice you match, the bigger the prize.

Example:
You give the gambler 2500 copper.
The gambler tells you 'Choose your number, between 1 and 6.'

<1013(100%) 1126(100%) 81%|civilized|12 PM> You say '4'
The gambler rolls the dice.
The gambler says 'The dice read: 4 3 1'
The gambler tells you 'You matched one die.'
The gambler gives you 31 silver coins, 5 copper coins.

I wrote a similar game for my MUD, which used a combination of hard coded say/give progs.

I really like that idea, Asylumius. I wrote a paper/rock/scissors game that players can play with a troll. It doesn't offer much of a reward except breaking the monotony of an otherwise monotonous area (sewers). I'm not sure how to approach it, and I want to really limit what a player can get from the mob money-wise because money is supposed to be scarce and valuable. Definitely going to have to use a combination of progs to pull this off. Lots of things to think about, but I really like the concept.
26 Dec, 2007, David Haley wrote in the 4th comment:
I'd be worried about players being able to fully automate any kind of game that relies on tracking a series of messages using client triggers and whatnot. Now, if the reward is nothing significant but fun, that's ok because they're just cheating themselves out of their own fun. :wink:
26 Dec, 2007, Asylumius wrote in the 5th comment:
DavidHaley said:
I'd be worried about players being able to fully automate any kind of game that relies on tracking a series of messages using client triggers and whatnot. Now, if the reward is nothing significant but fun, that's ok because they're just cheating themselves out of their own fun. :wink:

I actually used a MUD client script to give the mob coins, pick a random # 1-6, and say it. Since 2500 copper was a decent amount of money, it wasn't a big deal game mechanics wise. Even with an absurd amount of coins, bots usually didn't come out ahead.

But yeah, I can totally see where a lot of automated games and quests could be abused if the logic isn't programmed right.
0.0/5