22 Feb, 2014, Davenge wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
so, players would enter something like #32,42|. As opposed to say the normal foreground code(#) and background code(^) #g^g. We'd put the codes in a helpfile. And it would parse out to "\033so, players would enter something like #32,42|. As opposed to say the normal foreground code(#) and background code(^) #g^g. We'd put the codes in a helpfile. And it would parse out to "\033[32;42;m". Is there any downside or danger to allowing manually entered ansi codes?
22 Feb, 2014, plamzi wrote in the 2nd comment:
Davenge said:
Is there any downside or danger to allowing manually entered ansi codes?

I think that depends entirely on the details of the implementation. Will players be allowed to use blinking red background color in a global channel? Will the server automatically convert or strip 256 colors or background colors going out to players whose clients don't support them?
23 Feb, 2014, Davenge wrote in the 3rd comment:
Was thinking we'd just run the regular 8 ansi colors. 256 seems excessive.

I don't see a problem with players being able to use that stuff in a global channel as long as they aren't spamming.
23 Feb, 2014, plamzi wrote in the 4th comment:
Davenge said:
Was thinking we'd just run the regular 8 ansi colors.

So you'd be filtering the numbers 38 and 48? What about 40-47 which set background colors that may or may not be supported by all recipients?

Davenge said:
I don't see a problem with players being able to use that stuff in a global channel as long as they aren't spamming.

It's your call. Personally, I'd be concerned about people fleeing my game without even bothering to complain about the color explosions from other folks. A-la myspace.com.
23 Feb, 2014, quixadhal wrote in the 5th comment:
Here's the thing.

You can provide a table of valid (allowable) ANSI codes, and let them use whatever ones they want, filtering out everything else… or you can provide a mechanism for them to enter *ANY* terminal code, and accept the risk that somebody will decide to enter some obscure sequence that sets the scrolling region to be 2 lines for everyone who receives the message they sent out.

If you're going to restrict what they allow, I don't see much point to letting them enter obscure codes, rather than providing a normal color code system, ike Pinkfish (%^RED%^) or one of the many different Dikurivative color code systems (&r, ^r, etc…).
23 Feb, 2014, Davenge wrote in the 6th comment:
quixadhal said:
Here's the thing.

You can provide a table of valid (allowable) ANSI codes, and let them use whatever ones they want, filtering out everything else… or you can provide a mechanism for them to enter *ANY* terminal code, and accept the risk that somebody will decide to enter some obscure sequence that sets the scrolling region to be 2 lines for everyone who receives the message they sent out.

If you're going to restrict what they allow, I don't see much point to letting them enter obscure codes, rather than providing a normal color code system, ike Pinkfish (%^RED%^) or one of the many different Dikurivative color code systems (&r, ^r, etc…).

Fair point.
24 Feb, 2014, Chaos wrote in the 7th comment:
You might also want to look at this thread containing discussion of why....
0.0/7