13 Sep, 2007, darkraider wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
I have boost mobile and it would be great if there were a web based telnet client written in java for mobile phones i know it would not be the greatest with the small screen but im sure there would be alot of people who would use it
13 Sep, 2007, kiasyn wrote in the 2nd comment:
How would that work exactly, wouldn't it be a pain in the ass to type out everything?
13 Sep, 2007, Conner wrote in the 3rd comment:
Someone should ask Devenon about this, I know he logged into my mud on at least one occassion from his mobile, though that might be a PDA as opposed to a cell phone, I'm not sure…
13 Sep, 2007, Zeno wrote in the 4th comment:
Yep, one of my highest level players used a cell phone to play for a while.
13 Sep, 2007, darkraider wrote in the 5th comment:
I just know i play aardwolf alot and there have been many times i have wanted to play but all i had was my cell and i could not find anything that would let me play from my cell
13 Sep, 2007, Asylumius wrote in the 6th comment:
Given the state of smart phones and the various SDKs for them one could probably create a telnet client pretty easily in Java / .NET or for a Linux phone.

That said, I don't admin a MUD currently, but I do play mortals on one.. and it's a very PK intensive MUD. I wouldn't be caught dead logged onto it from my phone. Even on a phone with a full keyboard I think I'd be lucky to pull off 20 words per minute. I'd be a pile of corpse in under 5 minutes and wind up throwing my phone and its shiny new MUD client against a wall.
14 Sep, 2007, Conner wrote in the 7th comment:
You know, if you've got "internet access" on your phone, you probably could pull it off without too much difficulty just based on sites that are already out there, but I would also question the value of such a connection unless you had the whole laptop thing where you're only really using your phone for the bandwidth. *shrug*
14 Sep, 2007, Kayle wrote in the 8th comment:
I actually know a few people who have Java based clients accessible from mobile phones. I can't recall the name of any of their MU*s but If I ever see any of them online, I'll make sure to ask them about their java clients.
14 Sep, 2007, Conner wrote in the 9th comment:
That'd be great, I'm getting more and more complaints lately from folks who have never played a mud before and visit my website but can't get into my game because telnet apparently no longer a recognized protocol for IE7. :sad:
14 Sep, 2007, Guest wrote in the 10th comment:
telnet [is] apparently no longer a recognized protocol for IE7

Wasn't that nice of Microsoft? And people wonder why I hate that company so much and despise the products they put out.
14 Sep, 2007, Conner wrote in the 11th comment:
*sigh* My typing really used to be better.. how'd I manage to omit that "is"? I was sure I'd included it in my post….

Anyway, yeah, wasn't that nice of Microsoft? I discovered this detail in IE7 when, after getting several complaints that the link on my webpage to telnet://tcdbbs.zapto.org:4000 only told them that "Some content or files on this website require a program that you don't have installed." I started to look into it to try to figure out what they were talking about, apparently IE7 does not come with telnet listed as a protocol and under Vista you can't even add it as a typical user. :sad: In fact, if you follow the link on the error page that displays that lovely message labeled "Search online for a program you can use to view this web content." it takes you to Microsoft Application Search which kindly informs us that "Windows does not recognize this Protocol." …and folks thought the MMORPGs were hurting our MUDs? :mad:

Thus, I find myself in the position of thinking that I now no longer have any choice but to find a decent java web client that I can add to my web page and from now on, instead of providing the world with my telnet address, provide the url for that client everywhere. Otherwise, how will I get any players at all who don't already have mud clients and who are still Windows users? :sad:

Oh, on another note, Devenon confirmed for me last night that it was on his PDA that he'd accessed my mud previously, but I'm sure that it can be done from a phone too, though given the keypad most phones have, I'm not sure that I'd want to try to do so other than by using the phone as a bridge/modem for a laptop in some motel room or some such. :shrug:
14 Sep, 2007, Guest wrote in the 12th comment:
I seem to recall having vocally expressed my dislike for Vista not that long ago. This being one such situation. Microsoft owns your computer, not you. I mean seriously. You can't install a telnet application as a regular user?!? Isn't that sort of thing just inviting people to log on all the time as administrator? And in doing so won't they continue to expose their PCs to the hazards of viruses and other nasties that need admin access to spread?

Everyone should upgrade to linux.
14 Sep, 2007, Conner wrote in the 13th comment:
Actually, by regular user I meant the typical user, not non-admin account, so it's actually worse than you're thinking here.

And, yes, they should.
14 Sep, 2007, Guest wrote in the 14th comment:
So wait. They can't even install it as administrator? Then you're right. It's far FAR worse than I had thought.
14 Sep, 2007, Kjwah wrote in the 15th comment:
Conner said:
Actually, by regular user I meant the typical user, not non-admin account, so it's actually worse than you're thinking here.

And, yes, they should.

I'm glad I only use Windows for gaming.. and most of the time I still use linux for gaming. :p
14 Sep, 2007, Conner wrote in the 16th comment:
Samson: I'm sure that someone willing to go digging through the registry could probably make it accept telnet as a protocol, but let's be honest, if you're tech savvy enough to go there, you probably already know to just install a nice mud client (or PuTTY or a terminal emulation client, as the case may call for) instead of dealing with Microsoft's broken telnet client anyway. *shrug*

Kjwah: Yes, I also only use Windows for gaming (games that just don't run under Linux) and to test things like web pages/forums and such too.. and to help me figure out how to respond to desperate cries for help from players. :wink:
15 Oct, 2007, Skol wrote in the 17th comment:
Hm, my new Mac still has terminal. Though I use MudWalker ;p
16 Oct, 2007, Tyche wrote in the 18th comment:
Conner said:
That'd be great, I'm getting more and more complaints lately from folks who have never played a mud before and visit my website but can't get into my game because telnet apparently no longer a recognized protocol for IE7. :sad:

Yeah.. you can reenable it in IE7 by changing the following registry key.
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\FeatureControl\FEATURE_DISABLE_TELNET_PROTOCOL]
"iexplore.exe"=dword:00000000
16 Oct, 2007, David Haley wrote in the 19th comment:
It seems odd that they would disable it by default and make it so obscure to turn back on… any ideas why they did that?
16 Oct, 2007, Conner wrote in the 20th comment:
Tyche said:
Conner said:

Yeah.. you can reenable it in IE7 by changing the following registry key.
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\FeatureControl\FEATURE_DISABLE_TELNET_PROTOCOL]
"iexplore.exe"=dword:00000000

Wow, what a PITA.. oh well, at least there is a known fix for it now, I'll start spreading the word. Thanks for finding this Tyche. :smile:

DavidHaley said:
It seems odd that they would disable it by default and make it so obscure to turn back on… any ideas why they did that?

It really does seem a bit odd, but as for why they'd have done it, who knows, maybe they hate BBSes and MUDs. :sad:
0.0/27