16 Apr, 2011, Twisol wrote in the 21st comment:
Votes: 0
David Haley said:
Twisol would know more about it, I think, since IIRC he was involved in the project one way or another.

I wasn't, actually. I remember one person build a renderer that laid out exits using springs or weights or something, though. And the mapper that comes with Vadimuses' Achaea curing system relies on manually-set exit lengths.

David Haley said:
(Too bad we don't have a ping/@mention feature to draw somebody's attention to a thread…)

I visit every thread when it comes up on the recent posts sidebar, so it doesn't take long for me to catch up. :cool:

plamzi said:
I think Runter's project targets MUD devs and not people who want to develop a generic web-based client and won't have access to unique room ID's etc. I could be mistaken.

I think it's meant for the developers of MUDs that don't use Telnet to start with.
16 Apr, 2011, David Haley wrote in the 22nd comment:
plamzi said:
Maybe it's not super-hard to draw, but it is hard to do it in limited space and in such a way that it would help the player more than confuse them.

Oh, well, clearly if space is limited it is hard to usefull draw a map that is sparse. But I'm not sure this is really a solvable problem: if you have a small space in which to draw a large amount of things, the things will be small and hard to see. You could perhaps have zooming and scrolling in the window, but that doesn't really address the fundamental problem.

plamzi said:
I think Runter's project targets MUD devs and not people who want to develop a generic web-based client and won't have access to unique room ID's etc.

Perhaps, but non sequitur? I thought we were talking about mappers.

Twisol said:
I visit every thread when it comes up on the recent posts sidebar, so it doesn't take long for me to catch up.

Ha… true, I suppose. :wink:
16 Apr, 2011, kiasyn wrote in the 23rd comment:
Rarva.Riendf said:
I am curious about your automap: what happens when it is a maze with circular references and so on ?

i was going to take the easy route and just not do that.

really i'm probably just going to have an overland grid or some sort.
16 Apr, 2011, kiasyn wrote in the 24th comment:
I am no longer sure an HTML5 canvas is the way to go however, as you have to redraw it each movement (there is no concept of layers)
16 Apr, 2011, Scandum wrote in the 25th comment:
Twisol said:
And the mapper that comes with Vadimuses' Achaea curing system relies on manually-set exit lengths.

That's one way you can handle it with TinTin++. I think zmud uses coordinates so you can drag and drop rooms wherever you want.

TinTin++ uses a coordinate-less mapper and subsequently allows for rooms to overlap, in which case the most nearby room is displayed.
16 Apr, 2011, Twisol wrote in the 26th comment:
kiasyn said:
I am no longer sure an HTML5 canvas is the way to go however, as you have to redraw it each movement (there is no concept of layers)

Have you looked into SVG? Raphael.js is an SVG library that I've been seriously considering incorporating into Aspect.
16 Apr, 2011, Rarva.Riendf wrote in the 27th comment:
plamzi said:
Circular references can be skipped over without losing information, but what about situations where east-south is a different room than south-east? That's a very common scenario and so far the only automapper I've see that handles it is, ummm, mine.

OooOo, is it possible to test it on a Rom based mud ?
I will ask why:basically I have some pretty weird mazes I could handle with zmud automapper, but only poistionning room myself to avoid most link crossing etc. I guess that a pretty smart fella could write an AI that would do it itself, optimising so there is the fewer link crossed by other etc, but never actually saw one.
16 Apr, 2011, kiasyn wrote in the 28th comment:
Twisol said:
kiasyn said:

Have you looked into SVG? Raphael.js is an SVG library that I've been seriously considering incorporating into Aspect.

i did think of svg but I hadn't looked into it at all.. link looks cool, I'll experiment.
16 Apr, 2011, plamzi wrote in the 29th comment:
Rarva.Riendf said:
OooOo, is it possible to test it on a Rom based mud ?
I will ask why:basically I have some pretty weird mazes I could handle with zmud automapper, but only poistionning room myself to avoid most link crossing etc. I guess that a pretty smart fella could write an AI that would do it itself, optimising so there is the fewer link crossed by other etc, but never actually saw one.

I don't do AI but my very manually coded solution is good enough for my needs. I put together a quick demo page here:

http://bedlam.gotdns.com:8088/facebook/m...

You can view the page source to see what kind of info and format the renderer expects. If you click on this link, you'll see how to pass all the information inside a URL parameter (?loc=). Pass the renderer some manually generated location string that kind of describes a location in your MUD to see what the result would be.

There's a bit more to the renderer. Tap a room cell to see its name, and possibly see who was inside the room at the time when the snapshot was rendered.

Here's how the automapper looks embedded in my web app:
http://bedlam.gotdns.com:8088/map-exampl...
16 Apr, 2011, David Haley wrote in the 30th comment:
Rarva said:
I guess that a pretty smart fella could write an AI that would do it itself, optimising so there is the fewer link crossed by other etc, but never actually saw one.

You might want to look in to GraphViz as a starting point for how this problem is quite solved already. It's a graph layout program that takes a set of connected nodes and draws a picture attempting to remove overlaps in edges.
16 Apr, 2011, Rarva.Riendf wrote in the 31st comment:
David Haley said:
Rarva said:
I guess that a pretty smart fella could write an AI that would do it itself, optimising so there is the fewer link crossed by other etc, but never actually saw one.

You might want to look in to GraphViz as a starting point for how this problem is quite solved already. It's a graph layout program that takes a set of connected nodes and draws a picture attempting to remove overlaps in edges.

Thx, will try to throw one of our maze to it and see what happens
22 Apr, 2011, Igabod wrote in the 32nd comment:
am I the only one that thinks this advertisement would have been WAY better if it had been done in Haiku form?

Come try our mud out.
It's a lot of fun for all.
Won't be bored again.
22 Apr, 2011, Runter wrote in the 33rd comment:
Igabod said:
am I the only one that thinks this advertisement would have been WAY better if it had been done in Haiku form?

Come try our mud out.
It's a lot of fun for all.
Won't be bored again.

The obligatory haiku was on the code hosting page. :)
25 Apr, 2011, Rojan QDel wrote in the 34th comment:
Reading about HaikuMUD brought to mind the idea of writing a MUD in node.js - seems like it could easily have similar functionality.
26 Apr, 2011, Idealiad wrote in the 35th comment:
21 Jun, 2011, Runter wrote in the 36th comment:
Progress is being made. I'm looking for contributors who can be active on the project. Specifically if you're talented with javascript, html/css, jquery, or ruby your council would be appreciated.
22 Jun, 2011, Runter wrote in the 37th comment:
Oh, also looking for sketch artist. If you're interested in having your work featured, let me know.
23 Jun, 2011, Runter wrote in the 38th comment:
Development demo can be found here:

haikumud.hopto.org

Extremely alpha. Only well tested atm for updated webkit, presto, and gecho. Trident (I.E.) still needs work and since I don't own a windows machine, well, that might be interesting. :)

Comments/critique/bugs/ideas welcome.

And as always, the source can be found: https://github.com/jeffreybasurto/Haiku

Edit by kiasyn: fixed link
23 Jun, 2011, Idealiad wrote in the 39th comment:
It's a promising start. The styling of the page you can do by virtue of the platform is like 10x better than most mud clients I've seen.

There are some weird rendering issues when transitioning from create account –> confirmation –> login on Chrome 11.0.696.68/Windows; it seems like half or a quarter of the previous dialog is rendered for a split second before transitioning to the next dialog/screen. Anyone else see that?
23 Jun, 2011, Runter wrote in the 40th comment:
And the following is how it's supposed to render atm. Funky rendering may happen on older clients.

20.0/93