13 Feb, 2011, Banner wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
I'm looking to make a simple, pure roleplay MUD and I need a bit of help choosing a codebase. I need something written in C/C++ that is barebones or relatively stripped down. I don't need skills, combat, stats, classes, or any over bloated features. OLC, color, helpfiles, and features that would be beneficial to roleplay is all I really need.

I've looked into NakedMUD, and I'm extremely impressed with it, but I'm finding it may be too much work to learn Python (or so I was told) and learning NakedMUD's systems, as there may be another base out there I'd be more familiar with. I have a strong background in SMAUG and that is where I'm most familiar, but stripping a smaug or ROM down seems like it'd be harder than learning Python.

I'm pretty much looking for something that I can take, build onto and add a bit of code into to get what I want without having to learn a new language/system or strip out a bunch of code I won't need. I've considered SocketMUD, but it's a bit too barebone for my tastes. I'm considering a MUSH but I haven't looked into it yet, and I figured Tyche may have a few suggestions.
13 Feb, 2011, Tonitrus wrote in the 2nd comment:
Banner said:
I've looked into NakedMUD, and I'm extremely impressed with it, but I'm finding it may be too much work to learn Python (or so I was told) and learning NakedMUD's systems, as there may be another base out there I'd be more familiar with. I have a strong background in SMAUG and that is where I'm most familiar, but stripping a smaug or ROM down seems like it'd be harder than learning Python.

When I looked at NakedMUD, the idea of having to deal with two separate languages was a concern for me. That said, you're not going to have any trouble learning python. The biggest hurdle you're likely to have learning python is the same one I had: Namely, it's so damn easy that your brain doesn't bother to learn it. Whenever I'd have to write some python code, I'd read the docs, write it, then forget everything I learned because it was so easy. To fix that little issue, I got a book and worked through it chapter by chapter, forcing myself to do all the examples and exercises, even though what they all did seemed far too obvious to bother with.

Is NakedMUD right for you? I don't know.
Is dealing with C and python at the same time going to be too much trouble? Potentially.
Is python hard? Hahaha. No.

I'm told you can do most everything in NakedMUD in python anyway, which would be my recommendation. There are a number of people here who've actually used NakedMUD for more than philosophical musings, and I'm sure they'll be more than willing to weigh in.
13 Feb, 2011, Banner wrote in the 3rd comment:
Tonitrus said:
Banner said:

When I looked at NakedMUD, the idea of having to deal with two separate languages was a concern for me. That said, you're not going to have any trouble learning python. The biggest hurdle you're likely to have learning python is the same one I had: Namely, it's so damn easy that your brain doesn't bother to learn it. Whenever I'd have to write some python code, I'd read the docs, write it, then forget everything I learned because it was so easy. To fix that little issue, I got a book and worked through it chapter by chapter, forcing myself to do all the examples and exercises, even though what they all did seemed far too obvious to bother with.
Is it that easy? Will it be any easier to learn with knowledge in C/C++? Looking at the codebase as it is it's just about all I need for the simple roleplay MUD I envison, excepting a few simple additions I need to make. The only hurdles I see is learning the functions and workings of NakedMUD, as I've encounterd no documentation on the workings of the code itself thus far. Initially, this was my concern as well. I have a strong C background, but my concern is with learning Python as I was told it was very hard to learn.. however, if it's as easy as you say, then NakedMUD may be the right choice for me as I'm already heavily leaning towards it anyway.

EDIT: Fixed quoting tag
13 Feb, 2011, chrisd wrote in the 4th comment:
Banner said:
Is it that easy?

Yes.

Banner said:
Will it be any easier to learn with knowledge in C/C++?

Sure.

Banner said:
The only hurdles I see is learning the functions and workings of NakedMUD, as I've encounterd no documentation on the workings of the code itself thus far.

NakedMud is a modular base, meaning that rather than modifying the core source, you instead write largely self-contained modules to extend the codebase's functionality. Modules are written in either C or Python - there's no advantage to writing C modules (speed aside, but Python's not that slow), but the option is there. Here's some documentation:
Tutorials
API
There are quite a few people in the IRC channel who are happy to answer questions, as well.

Banner said:
Initially, this was my concern as well. I have a strong C background, but my concern is with learning Python as I was told it was very hard to learn..

Learning Python is not at all difficult, and there are a number of great, free resources for doing so online. Dive Into Python is an excellent book. I can personally vouch for the Non-Programmer's Guide for Python (though you're obviously a programmer). I've also been told that the Google Python Class is also a good resource.

To make it clear: Python is easy to learn, but writing elegant and idiomatic Python code takes time and practice. As someone who's programmed before there will likely be some habits you need to unlearn and some new concepts that you'll probably find tough to grasp at first, but that doesn't make the language hard. C is hard.

Tonitrus said:
When I looked at NakedMUD, the idea of having to deal with two separate languages was a concern for me.

I've never found it problematic.
0.0/4