20 Dec, 2009, Dubstack wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
I'm seeking a programmer experienced in the C programming language.

These are some of the thing's I would like to add into the mud, this isn't in any order that need to be done just idea of what I want to do with the mud.

1. Add a Job system. "Where people pick a job and it earns them money."
2. Charge Class system "Where once you reach a set level in the Class you can change into a different class just like in Final Fantasy Tactics."
3. Make two large Kingdom's each having a story for the mud. "Basic in-depth role play mud, where you are the story."
4. Custom Characters (Wide range of custom things from tattoos to changing hair)
5. Custom body size (This would be something you seen on GTASA where if you eat to much you get fat or if you drink to much vise versa."

Those are just some of the idea's I would like to put into my mud.

—————————————————————————————————–

As far as building goes I would like to find someone who knows what they are doing and if you don't I will teach them myself.
20 Dec, 2009, Lyanic wrote in the 2nd comment:
I hereby award you a gold star, Dubstack. They made me do it…
20 Dec, 2009, Mudder wrote in the 3rd comment:
Sounds like you want someone to design all the features of your MUD…
20 Dec, 2009, Dubstack wrote in the 4th comment:
Lyanic said:

I don't know if you are trying to be funny or mean?

Mudder said:
Sounds like you want someone to design all the features of your MUD…

Not real sure how to answer that statement. So here goes, I do want someone to help me design all the features of my MUD. IF they came to help and stayed it wouldn't be just my mud those who really want to help it becomes there mud too.
20 Dec, 2009, Lyanic wrote in the 5th comment:
Dubstack said:
Lyanic said:

I don't know if you are trying to be funny or mean?

How could you ask such a thing? I'm taking your gold star back now. Do you see what you made me do?
21 Dec, 2009, JohnnyStarr wrote in the 6th comment:
Dub, you just started a campaign for another DBZ mud. It's not that you can't change your mind, but what's going on?
I suggest that you learn C, add these features, and then maybe you'll have something to offer others. If you want others to join
your staff, great! :biggrin: Just contribute more than a stock code base and stick to one idea for more than 3 weeks. :wink:
21 Dec, 2009, Dubstack wrote in the 7th comment:
That ran into some problems but this would work, if people get me a help, yeah hey I my not know C but it would help if someone would help me, as we work on the mud tell me what they are doing and how it works and teach me a long the way. Yeah I know to some of you guy that my sound like a bitch idea but guess what. What way would be better getting told how to do it on a forum or asking question that you can't really see or something am missing but, if I had a coder working with me it be a little different "that said person" can help me as we go through out the code and change it. I can learn as we go.
21 Dec, 2009, JohnnyStarr wrote in the 8th comment:
dubstack said:
What way would be better getting told how to do it on a forum or asking question that you can't really see or something am missing but,
if I had a coder working with me it be a little different "that said person" can help me as we go through out the code and change it. I can learn as we go.

This is asking a lot for someone with literally nothing new to offer.
What you are proposing is like; some guy just bought his first guitar, stops Jimmy Page in the street, and tells him
that he wants to record Stairway to Heaven with him. Only, he wants Jimmy to teach him how to play guitar in the process.

Or, telling Yoda that he wants to start a new Jedi council. That is, after Yoda teaches him the force.
21 Dec, 2009, Dubstack wrote in the 9th comment:
Well who better to learn the song Stairway to Heaven than from the person who played it, and yeah long the way of playing the song he will teach you how to play it right, his way. I don't understand the Yoda thing. But yeah am not wanting mr. do it him self guy I want someone who is like hey this what we need to do, than I can say show me how to help. This where the teaching would start.
21 Dec, 2009, Kayle wrote in the 10th comment:
You have to understand the very basics before anyone will be able to teach you. Go to the library, and get a book on C/C++ (I'm sure they have them, our library here has like 12 of them) and get a grasp of the language basics. Learning to work on a MUD is nothing like learning the language. Especially since most of these codebases are old, unsupported, full of bugs, and probably have a lot of shoddy programming from people just learning as they go.

Now, I'm not bashing the learn as you go style. That's how I got where I am. But I did it with a book and a codebase. Not with someone holding my hand the whole way. You're going to be a lot better off down the road, if you put the effort forward yourself. Because if you know the basics, you can figure out pretty much anything in a MUD's code. Also, if you know the basics, you don't have to rely on someone else to build your mud in your vision. You can do most of the work, and THEY can help.
21 Dec, 2009, Lyanic wrote in the 11th comment:
I see coherency degenerated with the thread's lifespan. It's a good thing I took back that gold star when I did!
21 Dec, 2009, Tonitrus wrote in the 12th comment:
Not to discourage you from your project, but it's pretty unlikely that you'll find someone willing to teach you. On the other hand, once you learn the basics, you'll find that it's easy to ask specific questions, and most people are willing to answer specific questions. Even if you do find someone willing to teach you, you'll have to have something tangible to offer them. It's not really enough to have ideas, even if they're really good ones. You'd have to bring a fair amount to the table (and get lucky, probably) to make people want to get involved in your project at all, which is unfortunate, but it's just the way it is. That's hard enough in and of itself. To also manage to recruit someone who will be willing to teach you to program in addition to implementing your ideas will be a pretty hard sell.

That's two fairly difficult tasks with no real payoff. Your would-be programmer could easily just program things for himself. He could also just hear all of your ideas, steal the good ones, and go about his business implementing them in a mud of his own. MUD programming can be a thankless task even when you're doing it for yourself. It's fun to see the ideas implemented, but for every minute of glee at an actual functioning program, there's quite a few minutes of frustrated debugging (if you code like I do, anyway).

To make matters worse, programmers as a community aren't really fond of teaching other people things that they could just learn themselves, and people asking to be taught basics usually comes off as laziness.
21 Dec, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 13th comment:
Just to give you an idea of what you're asking for, Dubstack, teaching somebody to program can be a full-time job that is spread over a rather long period of time. There are college courses for this with instructors, TAs, textbooks, etc. Online, there are tutorials, books, and lots of reference material. I've taught introductory computer science and it's not really something you can just sit down and teach in a few sessions. Programming requires an entire mindset, an entire way of thinking if you will, in addition to learning the syntax of things. This is why it is relatively unlikely that you will find somebody who will sit down and teach you all of this (for free, at least), because it is such a time-consuming task (and very difficult remotely) and there are relatively few rewards involved.

The most realistic approach is indeed for you to start poking around with tutorials online. The nice thing about the situation online is that there really is a lot of reference material for you to read through. As Tonitrus said, it's usually far easier for people to answer specific questions (how do I declare a 2d array?) than general questions (what is an array and what do I do with it?). But you'll only be able to ask good questions once you know a little more more about the subject.

Programming is difficult but by no means impossible, so I readily encourage you to try learning. It's very rewarding and also, to be honest, the most realistic method of success for you at this stage.
21 Dec, 2009, Dubstack wrote in the 14th comment:
The code does seem to be pretty understandable I would most likely have a hard time with the classes and adding a change class system and skills other than that I think I can pretty much manage the code. I'm not saying all of you are fond of teaching but hey anyone can grab a book and read it and know every thing in it but whats the point if you don't know how to use what you have learned. That is what am asking to learn, not the hey how you doing this the world of coding am asking for someone to teach me how it all works not what book with a theory, or something of that nature. I'm not saying you can't read the book and know how to do it either am just saying I have read a few chapter on how to code and most of it I don't understand but I beat if someone would show me it be a little simpler. (Showing is not doing)
21 Dec, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 15th comment:
Dubstack said:
I'm not saying all of you are fond of teaching

Actually, a fair number of people here are very willing and happy to teach, but they expect the learner to put in a fair chunk of effort as well. I'm not calling you lazy, but you have come across as lazy here, because you are basically saying you don't want books, and you want people to devote an awful lot of time to you because you aren't willing to spend the time yourself.

Dubstack said:
but hey anyone can grab a book and read it and know every thing in it but whats the point if you don't know how to use what you have learned.

Part of the process of learning "every thing in it" is precisely that you'll learn how to use what you have learned. This isn't something that is learned or figured out over night, and it requires practice.
21 Dec, 2009, Lyanic wrote in the 16th comment:
Mebe lolcat can teach ur programminz, Dub! Lrn2lolcode - Lolcat demunstraetz:

HAI
CAN HAS STDIO?
I HAS A BOOKS ITZ 9001
I HAS A KNOWLEDGE ITZ 0
IM IN YR LOOP
GIMMEH BOOKS
UP KNOWLEDGE!!1
VISIBLE KNOWLEDGE
IZ KNOWLEDGE BIGGER THAN BOOKS? KTHXBYE
IM OUTTA YR LOOP
KTHXBYE

I can has a lolcat pl0x?
21 Dec, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 17th comment:
Lyanic. :thinking:
21 Dec, 2009, Cratylus wrote in the 18th comment:
satanic lyanic
21 Dec, 2009, Runter wrote in the 19th comment:
If you're serious about wanting to learn and you need someone to hold your hand. Ie, books don't 'do it' for you. Then you need to enroll in your local community college classes on intro to programming. This is cheap to do, or free with grants which are easily obtainable by those who qualify. In fact, I would recommend this even if you were going the self taught route.

Either way, you're already failing with your general attitude towards it. It's a lot of work. Either you will do it or you won't. You should decide if it's actually important to you. And if it's not, then figure out how you're gonna hook someone else into doing it for you.
21 Dec, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 20th comment:
Runter said:
enroll in your local community college classes on intro to programming. <…> In fact, I would recommend this even if you were going the self taught route.

Agreed. Being self-taught is good in many ways but also a good way to learn bad habits, or simply not learn some things at all. Having a course can help go faster as well because what you need to know will be presented in a more concise form, without you having to go chase things down or just happen to bump into them.
0.0/35