28 Nov, 2009, Greyankh wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
Hey all,

I finally made the decision. I am going to build a Mud. I figured I would start this thread so that others can watch and comment on my progress.

As of today, Avernasia, Demi-Plane of Disorder is in pre-Alpha.
Started making a website to place ideas. It is really ugly right now, but you can check it out. Avernasia.net Doing this all from scratch. Learning the html and css as I go.
Have a forum to update and collaborate.Avernasia's forums
Code will be in C++. I have a couple bases that I will hack together. I think I'm going to start with tinymudserver and expand from there. I just need a free hosting site to begin implementing.

Just wanted to say thanks to all the people here. You have been great with ideas and support.
Grey
28 Nov, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 2nd comment:
Greyankh said:
I just need a free hosting site to begin implementing.

Zeno has shown himself to be a very reliable free hosting provider and is a regular on these forums. See also the advertisement he posted to MB.

Good luck with your project! It'll be interesting to see your progress. It's a fun thing to work on. :smile:
28 Nov, 2009, Greyankh wrote in the 3rd comment:
Thanks.

I sent Zeno a pm message like the post suggested.

One more step done.

Grey
28 Nov, 2009, jurdendurden wrote in the 4th comment:
Congratulations sir! I just got my hosting situation figured out, and in a few moments will be posting for builders/immstaff. Good luck to you and yours Greyankh! :D
28 Nov, 2009, Idealiad wrote in the 5th comment:
Grats Greyankh, best wishes on your journey :smile:.

For the website stuff, I suggest setting up a basic blog like Wordpress or something similar. It makes keeping a dev diary really easy, and you can always hack on its html/CSS as you go. Put a link to your forums on the blog and a back link on the forums and you're good to go. While you're at it you could set up a wiki to post in-progress documents as well, and eventually give any collaboraters write privileges to that. There's even a few Forum/wiki/Wordpress bridges out there, for one-time sign-up/authentication for your players/staff.
28 Nov, 2009, JohnnyStarr wrote in the 6th comment:
It's always good to see someone make that decision! IMO, in this economy, mudding is
the best free hobby you can have. Besides books, I haven't spent a dime on it, and I've
had hours of fun. Plus, it's educational, so you can't lose. :cool:

You might check out Joomla, it's pretty easy to maintain, and it's open source.
28 Nov, 2009, KaVir wrote in the 7th comment:
Idealiad said:
For the website stuff, I suggest setting up a basic blog like Wordpress or something similar. It makes keeping a dev diary really easy, and you can always hack on its html/CSS as you go.

IMO it's definitely worth keeping a record of your progress - it's really nice to be able to look back over the years and see how the mud came together, plus it's very handy for players who don't play for a while and want to catch up.
28 Nov, 2009, Orrin wrote in the 8th comment:
We tried blog/forum/wiki for a while and in the end found that information got spread around too much and it was too difficult to maintain. I then moved info from the wiki onto the main website, but even then I found that it was extra work to keep that information in sync with forum posts and game helpfiles. The goal now is to have all our information accessible in game as help files which are also searchable on the website.
28 Nov, 2009, Fizban wrote in the 9th comment:
David Haley said:
Greyankh said:
I just need a free hosting site to begin implementing.

Zeno has shown himself to be a very reliable free hosting provider and is a regular on these forums.

Seems he already applied but just figured I'd second this.

I don't run a MUD technically, but have a shell account on zeno's server that I host a MUD related forum on and on which I test changes before committing to the tba svn and the server has been very reliable as far as uptime is concerned and as far as getting Zeno to setup the database for me that the forum required since I lacked the privs to do so myself.
28 Nov, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 10th comment:
In previous lives I had dreams of integrating website issue trackers, forums and in-game information. Then I woke up to reality. :wink:
29 Nov, 2009, Runter wrote in the 11th comment:
Fantastic. Let's bounce some ideas.
29 Nov, 2009, kiasyn wrote in the 12th comment:
David Haley said:
In previous lives I had dreams of integrating website issue trackers, forums and in-game information. Then I woke up to reality. :wink:

http://www.mudbytes.net/index.php?a=bugs...

http://www.mudbytes.net/index.php?a=boar...

http://www.mudbytes.net/index.php?a=mudl...
29 Nov, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 13th comment:

This is a link to something about sqrt… are you trying to point out that it's a bug tracker? Great – there are tons of issue trackers out there, many far superior to that one (no offense) with things like version control system integration.

Err… yes? This is a forum. There are tons of forum packages out there. This is not a forum fully integrated with an entire game with any kind of synchronization between the two.

MSSP is just an automated way of providing simple values for simple fields. Nothing like full information integration for forums, issues, etc.

A simple example of what I'm talking about would be having an issue tracker that could be accessed over HTTP, be integrated into a webpage in other fashions (like a 'recent bugfixes' list), accessed in the MUD, where one could mark issues as complete and refer to given tickets while using OLC, and so forth. An integration between in-game boards and the web-based forums. Character continuity such that forum characters are synchronized with MUD characters. The list goes on, but hopefully it should be clear that I'm not talking about anything as simple as relatively isolated components like the above. Even if you were to integrate many components in the browser, there is still the missing web <-> MUD link.
29 Nov, 2009, Dean wrote in the 14th comment:
Beggars can't be choosers DH. :tongue:
29 Nov, 2009, Idealiad wrote in the 15th comment:
29 Nov, 2009, flumpy wrote in the 16th comment:
great.. now i'm gonna have to change my avatar :D

btw yes i'm still lurking

good luck with the mud btw
30 Nov, 2009, Greyankh wrote in the 17th comment:
Fixed my avatar for you.

Decided to follow the advice of my colleagues, I went with wordpress. Now I ma trying to get that situated before I begin documenting all the pertinent info.

Still waiting on the server space. I imagine Zeno is busy lately.

Grey
30 Nov, 2009, KaVir wrote in the 18th comment:
Greyankh said:
Still waiting on the server space. I imagine Zeno is busy lately.

Why not just install cygwin or something for the time being? It took me almost a year before I was ready for playtesters, and even if you're starting with some existing code I imagine it'll be a while before you're ready to open.
30 Nov, 2009, Crystal wrote in the 19th comment:
Also, it may be worth checking out any Wordpress Plugins for project management: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/tags...

I haven't used them yet, but I'm sure there's a way to keep a changelog on the site within Wordpress that doesn't necessarily mean creating a new entry each time.

Good luck.
30 Nov, 2009, Greyankh wrote in the 20th comment:
Why not just install cygwin or something for the time being? It took me almost a year before I was ready for playtesters, and even if you're starting with some existing code I imagine it'll be a while before you're ready to open.

I thought of that. Really, I did. I have andLinux on my home computer. I have an odd situation in that I would like to be able to access it while at school, or home. So, it is much easier for me to install something like PuTTy on this computer and then I can tinker when I get a free moment.

Also, it may be worth checking out any Wordpress Plugins for project management: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/tags...

I haven't used them yet, but I'm sure there's a way to keep a changelog on the site within Wordpress that doesn't necessarily mean creating a new entry each time.

Good luck.

I'll look into this. I just recently got my feet wet with Wordpress. I'm starting to learn how to maneuver and walk my way around it. I think it will do just fine as a mud webpage.
0.0/23