20 Nov, 2009, Mudder wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
So mobs in ROM all have 100 move. Movement is not settable for mobs in ROM.

Where does the 100 come from? I've scoured the code and been unable to find it. I assumed it would be in the defaults, or maybe given when the mob is loaded.. I just don't know.

Anyone have any ideas?
20 Nov, 2009, Davion wrote in the 2nd comment:
Check out new_char (recycle.c). It's where the defaults are set. There's some more default setting in load_char_obj (save.c) and create_mobile (handler.c) but those have nothing to do with movement for mobiles. ;).
20 Nov, 2009, Mudder wrote in the 3rd comment:
I knew I was going to end up smacking myself once someone replied. I'm not sure how I missed it or if I saw it and just ignored it?

Either way. Thanks Davion. :)
20 Nov, 2009, Mudder wrote in the 4th comment:
Oh. I remember now why I skipped over it the first time around. Because I knew it couldn't be changed without also affecting PCs. (This was something investigated months ago and added mob movement to OLC on another base) Guess I'll be doing the same thing again. Glad to know it's necessary though. :grinning:
20 Nov, 2009, Skol wrote in the 5th comment:
You could actually change it Mudder, just have it as something you can set in OLC, then have save.c load that where it loads the rest of the mob's information. Then it changes that instance, not every char.
I actually went in and allowed for 'perm stats' on mobs, so you could make certain ones always intelligent etc. Although, I also randomized mob stats for each instance, with bonuses due to any 'act's etc. It really brings up a nice variety if you have many instances of the same mob.
20 Nov, 2009, Skol wrote in the 6th comment:
Actually, do it in db.c in 'create_mobile()'. Have it then check to see if the movement isn't default/change it etc.
20 Nov, 2009, Scandum wrote in the 7th comment:
Wouldn't it make more sense to set move and mana automatically based on the mob's level?
20 Nov, 2009, Mudder wrote in the 8th comment:
Scandum said:
Wouldn't it make more sense to set move and mana automatically based on the mob's level?

Depends on what you're after really. I want mobs to have move for a mount system. I'd rather be able to control it directly.

Mudder <— Control freak. :blues:

EDIT: Skol. That's what I was talking about when I said I changed it in OLC. I just copied the code for mana and replaced it with move. Simple really. Unless you were referring to a different, perhaps better, way?
20 Nov, 2009, Skol wrote in the 9th comment:
Mudder said:
EDIT: Skol. That's what I was talking about when I said I changed it in OLC. I just copied the code for mana and replaced it with move. Simple really. Unless you were referring to a different, perhaps better, way?

Yep, that's it, you can modify 'each' instance of the mob by doing it in create_mobile() in db.c, so it doesn't affect players etc, just that 'load' of the mob. You could set it up to be a range, stay at 100, do a 'set' amount from OLC etc. Could always do something like:
if (IS_NPC(ch) && IS_SET(ch->act, "ACT_MOUNT"))) ch->max_move = (something more)

That's just 'blah' code off the hip but it should give you an idea. Could even switch by race and put in max_move, add for level, all kinds of things. But if you do it in create_mobile() then each one is unique (if you do randoms).
20 Nov, 2009, JohnnyStarr wrote in the 10th comment:
I wouldn't base the mounts mv points off of the fact that they are mount
alone. You might take advantage of something more in depth like:
mob size, AC, level, race, etc. This way, if you are riding a "Winged
Creature", they could possibly have more than say a "Bear", or "Wolf".

Also, you could take it a step further and consider the weight of the
rider. IMO, maintaining an in game balance can - at times - be more complex than
writing in C :stare:
20 Nov, 2009, Mudder wrote in the 11th comment:
The riders weight would be added into the movement equation not the mounts total moves.

I guess one could write a function to determine appropriate amount of moves for the mount's stats, though it's pretty inflexible without actually changing code. Which makes sense only if you have builders - and don't trust them to be balanced.

NOTE: I don't trust builders either, that's why I don't have any. ;)

EDIT: I like the weight issue to work out as a difference between the size of the rider+total weight and size of the mount. If the mount is bigger than rider, it's easier to move, but if the rider is equal or even maybe slightly bigger, it's much harder to move.

This opens a world of possibilities in thought. Where draw the line? Perhaps make characters that have more str actually weigh more, along with giving a default weight for the player size. Could add that into tons of things.
20 Nov, 2009, JohnnyStarr wrote in the 12th comment:
mudder said:
NOTE: I don't trust builders either, that's why I don't have any. ;)

I don't know how that's going to work out, you are going to have players aren't you? How much fun
can you have in a world that is only maintained by you? I might understand developing the base world yourself,
but if you don't allow players to help mold the game, you won't have very many players; at least not ones that
feel like they are a part of things.
20 Nov, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 13th comment:
Johnny, your new avatar is somewhat epilepsy-inducing :wink:
21 Nov, 2009, Mudder wrote in the 14th comment:
How many MUDs let most of their players build? Let's say you have 60 players total. You're likely to make 6 of them Immortals. Maybe let another 6 build. That's 12 total players out of 60 that are able to contribute in the way you mentioned. Or about 20% of the pbase.

I'd rather let everyone feel apart of the game and the community by not only hearing out their concerns and implementing good ideas but by allowing players to interact with the world in a (mostly)permanent way. But in the end, I am building this for me. If I have players - great. If I am alone in my own little virtual world in which I sit and cry in the corner… I'm okay with that. I want to put forth my vision and see it completed - only then will I be more flexible.

Of course my opinions might change once I actually open the mud to players, but right now I'll remain in my own world.

EDIT: Agreed on the avatar. I found it hard to read his post without being distracted. I had to read it twice. Lol.

EDIT2: I guess we aren't saying vastly different things. Though the way in which I would have players impact the world would be through in game elements, not OOC building of areas. I just don't trust the average person to not only have the same vision as me but to write good descriptions and create a detailed area. I've seen far too much crappy work come from builders to have much faith.
21 Nov, 2009, JohnnyStarr wrote in the 15th comment:
David Haley said:
Johnny, your new avatar is somewhat epilepsy-inducing :wink:

haha, sorry. hows this?
21 Nov, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 16th comment:
JohnnyStarr said:
haha, sorry. hows this?

Ahh, much better, I feel sane again :tongue: Thanks!
0.0/16