12 Aug, 2009, Lorden wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
Hey guys,

Just want to publicize the relaunch of the GroundZero/GroundZero2 codebase. It's pretty much a text-based, team deathmatch FPS. I'm currently looking for some more players. Here is a list of features:

20 X 20 - 3 level grid
Guns, ammo, reloading, and auto-targeting/firing across multiple rooms
EXPLOSIVES! Napalm, Tear Gas, Smoke, etc
Radios! Airstrikes, Teleportation, etc
Mines, grenades, launchers, TANKS!

Easy to learn, hard to master!

See you on the grid!
Lorden

Death Match
mud.zomgponies.com 4000
12 Aug, 2009, Hades_Kane wrote in the 2nd comment:
Does the game have any sort of graphical representation through text?
12 Aug, 2009, Lorden wrote in the 3rd comment:
Only if you use certain items. It has cartesian coordinates though, with team bases being at 0,0 and 20,20 respectivally. It's pretty hard to get lost! Maps are auto-generated at each round.
12 Aug, 2009, Hades_Kane wrote in the 4th comment:
Hrmm… I guess I'm having difficulty understanding how it can be a "First Person Shooter" if there's nothing to actually represent the first person point of view any different than that of a regular MUD.

The concept intrigued me, so I'm trying to learn more :)
12 Aug, 2009, Lorden wrote in the 5th comment:
I guess the 'FPS' component isn't specifically the viewpoint (which is autogenerated room descriptions) but rather the gameplay: classless, leveless, where the only score that matters is your kill-to-death ratio. Room descriptions are minimal since the rooms are autogenerated. There are some mobs, and a guarded objective that allows you to win the round without waiting after the timer. Other than that it's a question of running around, finding guns, ammo and explosives, and blowing people up.

Multiple scenarios can be loaded up with different grid sizes, equipment and objectives. Map will autogrow past 20 X 20 if enough people log on at the same time, etc.
12 Aug, 2009, Hades_Kane wrote in the 6th comment:
Ah, ok.

I might suggest that you consider clarifying that in the future, to ease any possible future misunderstanding. A lot of traditional MUDs are also classless, leveless, and the very definition and genre of FPS is based quite strongly around the first person view. I imagine a graphical game that contained all elements of a traditional FPS that lacked the first person entirely would probably garner some criticism if they labeled themselves an FPS. I have also seen some games (and even one of my own areas) where the room descriptions are basically a first person like ASCII picture (think the old classic dungeon crawling RPGs), so there is I think genuine reason for someone to think that you might be doing something similar.

I'm really not trying to nitpick or anything, but you'll likely have more success the more precisely you label your game for future players.

In any case, it still does sound like an interesting way to be able to jump into a MUD and kill some people without all of the other distractions :p
12 Aug, 2009, Ssolvarain wrote in the 7th comment:
You guys gonna stay open longer than a month this time around? :tongue:

Also: The black grenade wallpaper. Bring that back in 1680x1050 resolution <.<
14 Aug, 2009, Lorden wrote in the 8th comment:
Uptime has already been more than a month. We just need the playerbase. I work for a webhosting company, so ressources are -not- an issue. I think I should start scheduling some playtime events where everyone could get together for some team-based fun.
14 Aug, 2009, Hades_Kane wrote in the 9th comment:
Lorden said:
Uptime has already been more than a month. We just need the playerbase. I work for a webhosting company, so ressources are -not- an issue. I think I should start scheduling some playtime events where everyone could get together for some team-based fun.

Scheduled events go over well, especially when you advertise those on sites.

If I knew I could log in at a certain time and be guaranteed to be thrust into some mindless killing, I'd be pretty inclined. I might could get some of my players together and some fellow IMMs to go in together to go get some kills. Which that just gave me a thought… you could organize teams based on their "Home" MUDs and have inter MUD combat :p That might be fun if you aren't trying to gain a rabidly loyal playerbase that dedicates long stretches of time to your game. I'm under the impression (correct me if I'm wrong) that your game is more or less a "log in and kill some people" for a while venture, not something that is designed to be a long term investment.
15 Aug, 2009, Idealiad wrote in the 10th comment:
Yeah, I'd like to see a scheduled drop in time too.
21 Aug, 2009, Lorden wrote in the 11th comment:
Agreed. There is not much for the typical MUD overachiever. There are ranks and top10 stuff, but it's a slow process that's built up over time. The original creators wanted to do away with most of the leveling, munchkinism and leave just the core PK gameplay.

What would be your preferred scheduled time for an event? I'm available any day evenings EST.
21 Aug, 2009, Igabod wrote in the 12th comment:
if you want to schedule some time then just talk to your friends and have them all log on at the same time, easy enough right?
0.0/12