24 Jul, 2009, ichino wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
I need to learn how to code Godwars II codebase can anyone help?
24 Jul, 2009, ichino wrote in the 2nd comment:
Can anyone give me a site to learn it from? I am trying to start a mud and need to know how so please anything works.
24 Jul, 2009, Igabod wrote in the 3rd comment:
well, for starters, you can't unless Kavir hires you. You could try to make a clone of it if your skill was up to par with Kavir's but since you're asking for someone to tell you how to code (be it a member of these forums or a website) I'm going to say that's not going to happen any time soon. You should log onto Kavir's mud and see if maybe he'll allow you to be an imm there so you can learn. I seriously doubt he's going to just give a random stranger access to his code though, at least not with his experiences with the original godwars being stolen as well as others. But you may just be able to get somewhat of an education from him. I don't know for sure whether he's willing to teach, but he'd be your best bet since you're wanting to learn the godwars II codebase.

[edit to fix some transposed words]
24 Jul, 2009, quixadhal wrote in the 4th comment:
It's probably worth adding that Godwars II is not available for public download. The older Godwars (and various derivatives) can be found in here. KaVir may well be willing to answer a few questions, if he's feeling nostalgic and wants to remember his old codebase, but that's up to him. :)
27 Jul, 2009, ichino wrote in the 5th comment:
where can i find the website to log onto his mud?
27 Jul, 2009, Dean wrote in the 6th comment:
27 Jul, 2009, KaVir wrote in the 7th comment:
ichino said:
where can i find the website to log onto his mud?

Normally at www.godwars2.org, but it's been down for the last day or two, and I'm still trying to find out why. The mud itself is still up and running, the address and port are in my signature (although I'm surprised you'd want to run one if you've never even played it).

Why do you "need to learn" how to code on it though? I'm afraid I'm not recruiting staff, and don't let people have access to the full code, although I don't mind posting small snippets if you want examples of things.

The source code for the original GodWars is available on this site (see the link posted by quixadhal). You can also download the source code for Gladiator P..., which includes an early prototype for the combat system I used in God Wars II.
27 Jul, 2009, ichino wrote in the 8th comment:
Thanks, i had no idea that your code was stolen or i would not have ever tried to use a codebase based off of it. I am just tired of codeing muds from scratch and not being able to run them right…. no host….
27 Jul, 2009, KaVir wrote in the 9th comment:
There are a wide range of decent codebases available for download from this site, but developing a mud and running a mud are two completely different skills.

What exactly is it you're after?
27 Jul, 2009, flumpy wrote in the 10th comment:
ichino said:
Thanks, i had no idea that your code was stolen or i would not have ever tried to use a codebase based off of it. I am just tired of codeing muds from scratch and not being able to run them right…. no host….

*boggle* stolen?? wtf?

http://www.mudbytes.net/index.php?a=file...
27 Jul, 2009, KaVir wrote in the 11th comment:
flumpy said:
*boggle* stolen?? wtf?

He's referring to GodWars, which was originally stolen and leaked out. I later added a licence allowing people to use it legally, but it's made me very protective of GW2.
27 Jul, 2009, flumpy wrote in the 12th comment:
KaVir said:
flumpy said:
*boggle* stolen?? wtf?

He's referring to GodWars, which was originally stolen and leaked out. I later added a licence allowing people to use it legally, but it's made me very protective of GW2.

ok that wasn't clear, I thought he meant you had just stolen the codebase for glad 2 and used that…

well that makes more sense..!
27 Jul, 2009, ichino wrote in the 13th comment:
Kavir i am trying to me a mud up so i can have fun, i do not just wont to play a mud but build on it too, i dount wont to build on someone elses mud for they wont it exactly a certan way. I just wont to have a mud where what people build is what they build no worries…. The stolen thing troubles me thow… I do not know how your code works and possible how i am going to get in trouble for having it. All i know is that it is Dystopia codebase and well, i would like to get it to where if someone askes for something to be built than it will be and maybe one day they can do the building for another area of there ideas…. i am just looking to make a fun mud for all is what i should say.
27 Jul, 2009, KaVir wrote in the 14th comment:
ichino said:
The stolen thing troubles me thow… I do not know how your code works and possible how i am going to get in trouble for having it.

GodWars has a licence permitting its use.

ichino said:
All i know is that it is Dystopia codebase

Dystopia is a GodWars derivative created by Jobo, and also has a licence permitting use.

ichino said:
i would like to get it to where if someone askes for something to be built than it will be and maybe one day they can do the building for another area of there ideas…. i am just looking to make a fun mud for all is what i should say.

I'm afraid that's unlikely to work, as one player's preference is another player's pet hate, and if you try to appeal to everyone you're likely to end up appealing to nobody.

Instead, I'd recommend selecting your target audience in advance, then design and develop something with that target audience in mind. In my experience it's much easier to keep motivated if that target audience includes yourself.
27 Jul, 2009, flumpy wrote in the 15th comment:
I've been talking to Ichino on GW2, and he is just looking for a codebase that will work out of the box. I pointed him at coffeemud, because he specifically wanted it to run on a windows/dos machine and I thought it would be easiest.

I wish him luck :D
0.0/15