12 May, 2009, boblinski wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
I'm hoping to revamp the note system.. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it.. I just know I'm going to do an overhaul.

Here's a few questions:

1) How does the current QuickMUD note system work? (anyone find it particularly good/bad?)

2) What code and files should I be looking at to remove/edit the note system?

3) Any suggestions/ideas for note systems that I should consider when revamping my note system?
12 May, 2009, KaVir wrote in the 2nd comment:
boblinski said:
I'm hoping to revamp the note system.. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it.. I just know I'm going to do an overhaul.

Why would you give it an overhaul if you don't know what you want to change?

I'm actually in the process of designing a board system as well, but I have very specific objectives in mind (and don't currently support any sort of in-game notes or boards).
12 May, 2009, Sandi wrote in the 3rd comment:
I think the stock note system is adequate, and has the advantage of being well known. If someone logs on to your game, and is frustrated by something and decides to leave you a note, and then is further frustrated when the usual commands don't work, you've likely just lost a player.

Quickmud uses Erwin's note system, not the stock one, so the code is in board.c
12 May, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 4th comment:
KaVir made a very important point that I'll repeat for emphasis: there is very little value in changing things just for the sake of changing them. Well, really, it's not just that there's little value: it's a waste of time, and arguably will be counter-productive. Don't overhaul something just because it's "stock" and you don't want "stock" things in your game. Only make changes if you (a) have a reason to make the changes (e.g., you have identified unacceptable flaws) and (b) know what it is you want to put in instead.
12 May, 2009, Hades_Kane wrote in the 5th comment:
I've got to agree with what they've said. Changes without reason or vision is more likely to just make a mess.
12 May, 2009, Kline wrote in the 6th comment:
Ack games all use a local board/note system. Boards are an item type that can be loaded/placed in a room and you can only write/read/etc while in a room with a board, to that specific board. It's less practical in terms of open communication, but makes life easier for things of a RP or realistic nature.
12 May, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 7th comment:
Sounds like you're basically preventing any kind of electronics setting where messages really could be broadcast to several physical places at once. How hard would it be to edit it to sync board activity across rooms? (or just make "fake boards" that refer to some master board)
12 May, 2009, Kline wrote in the 8th comment:
Oh boards can be in multiple rooms, they are just a type of object, after all. Each board is saved to its own file based on vnum.
13 May, 2009, Kjwah wrote in the 9th comment:
David Haley said:
KaVir made a very important point that I'll repeat for emphasis: there is very little value in changing things just for the sake of changing them. Well, really, it's not just that there's little value: it's a waste of time, and arguably will be counter-productive. Don't overhaul something just because it's "stock" and you don't want "stock" things in your game. Only make changes if you (a) have a reason to make the changes (e.g., you have identified unacceptable flaws) and (b) know what it is you want to put in instead.

or © you are making changes just to make changes because you are programming just to program. :p
14 May, 2009, Banner wrote in the 10th comment:
I personally prefer global boards, being where you can access the network of boards from anywhere in the galaxy, assuming you have a datapad. Stock SWR makes it so boards are in rooms and you have to go to the room that board is in to read it.
14 May, 2009, Brigan wrote in the 11th comment:
Wanted to perhaps give some further answers to your questions, to maybe help out.

boblinski said:
1) How does the current QuickMUD note system work? (anyone find it particularly good/bad?)

The current note system on QuickMUD I believe is Erwin Andreasen's board system. Basically it is a global board system that can have as many boards as you want, with access restrictions coded into the boards (if you wanted to have a Hero board for instance, or a Staff board, etc.). I prefer Erwin's system over the stock ROM note system, however it's not the best board/note system I've ever used.

boblinski said:
2) What code and files should I be looking at to remove/edit the note system?

The majority of the board code is in the files board.c and board.h, with other scattered code (of lesser impact design-wise) scattered in other files.

boblinski said:
3) Any suggestions/ideas for note systems that I should consider when revamping my note system?

I think you should look at your current note system and decide what it is that you want to change? Is it purely the look of the board? That can be changed easily with colors, or a new layout without much effort. Is it features? If it's features, what features did you want to remove or add? Maybe you've seen a board somewhere else that could do x, and you want your board to do that, so I'd write out ideas on how you could get your board to do that and experiment.

And while some of the others were right that it's not wise to start changing things without having a reason to change them, I think the more important thing is not trying to change things without knowing what you're going to change it to. Best of luck!

- Brigan
0.0/11