26 Nov, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
Kayle said:
Why do I need Vi or Nano? :P

You don't need nano, now vi(m) on the other hand… :tongue:
26 Nov, 2008, Fizban wrote in the 2nd comment:
Why do I need Vi or Nano? :P

Blasphemy. Everyone must use pico/nano or Vim for all typing.

Ontopic: Yes, there are loads of new coders, I still more or less consider myself to be one.
26 Nov, 2008, quixadhal wrote in the 3rd comment:
LOL, using visual studio to program a MUD is like using a sledgehammer to open a peanut. It's heavy enough to tire you out quickly, it's easy to swing wildly (with auto-completion), and even a tiny change requires you to go through the entire swing of loading the whole development suite.

Unfortunately, my drive crash means I don't have VS installed anymore, so I can't do a nice size comparison, but vim comes in at 1.2Mb. I suspect the VS editor is just a little bit more fat. :)

Yes, I am a Prophet of /usr/bin/vi.
26 Nov, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 4th comment:
Besides, you can get autocompletion and intelligent source navigation using vi… I really see no need for VS anymore. The only editor I use other than vim is Eclipse, because it can very cleverly rename classes, variables and so forth by being very aware of Java syntax. I just sorely miss the vi editor commands… After using vim for so long, and so much, the commands are more or less second nature to me, so much so that I find myself entering them in random windows (like email, browser, etc.) sometimes to very strange effect. :wink: (The worst one being ctrl-w for deleting the previous word… oops, there goes the window)
26 Nov, 2008, Kayle wrote in the 5th comment:
Yeah, but I don't work in Linux unless I'm in the shell, and the only time I'm in the shell is to either do an svn update on my dev port, nohup ./startup &, or make/make clean. :P
26 Nov, 2008, quixadhal wrote in the 6th comment:
Actually, after doing my part for the Church of Vi (down with Emacs!), I should also mention that there is a windows svn system (TortiseSVN I think), and there is actually a way to hack an alternate editor into VS. Once upon a time, I frightened my co-workers by loading up Visual Basic 6 reigstry-tweaked to invoke gvim instead of the built-in editor. :)

Although, you DO lose the member function auto-complete, which I do actually like – mostly because I'm lazy and don't remember or want to look up all those event names.
26 Nov, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 7th comment:
quixadhal said:
Although, you DO lose the member function auto-complete, which I do actually like – mostly because I'm lazy and don't remember or want to look up all those event names.

True vim ninjas have autocomplete in vim thanks to the OmniCppComplete plugin. :cool:

(EDIT: fixed silly typo)
26 Nov, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 8th comment:
This thread was split from this thread.
27 Nov, 2008, Idealiad wrote in the 9th comment:
From the few times I've used vi and vim I agree it's pretty great. It always amuses me when people argue the merits of mouse-interfaces over vim…however I'm afraid to take on yet another thing to learn when I'm not really using an editor all that much, so for now I stick with SciTE.
27 Nov, 2008, ShadowsDawn wrote in the 10th comment:
There are other editors besides Vi(m)?

Wow.. you really do learn something new every day.. even if it is useless trivia!

:biggrin:
27 Nov, 2008, Ssolvarain wrote in the 11th comment:
Midboss introduced me to Editplus, which is what I use for coding/area file editing.

I'm a few hundred days past the trial version date, but it doesn't seem to mind at all.
27 Nov, 2008, Igabod wrote in the 12th comment:
i used to be a pico freak-o but now i'm a nano man-o hehe ok that was lame i know but it made me giggle when i typed it. anyway, i use nano cause it's pretty much exactly the same as pico and that's all i ever knew when i started coding. i quit coding for a few years and came back to find that everything i barely knew back then is completely different due to the advances in technology over the past few years. makes me feel like a complete newb again, man i hate that feeling.
27 Nov, 2008, Tyche wrote in the 13th comment:
Editors are like ice cream, everyone has a favorite flavor. Anyway whenever I'm in a unix, I'll set the shell up to run nano. However I do all my development, including unix development on windows. My favorite editors are SPF-PC, Borland Turbo 5.0 editor, and MultiEdit. I suppose one develops a level of comfort the editors one first learns to use. I'd also recommend UltraEdit and Textpad as good general purpose editors. I've also had to use Visual Studio a fair bit and it's a good programming editor, although I personally prefer the Borland offerings.
27 Nov, 2008, Zenn wrote in the 14th comment:
Nano for the win!
27 Nov, 2008, Grimble wrote in the 15th comment:
Any editor with tagging capability is going to improve your productivity by several orders of magnitude. Tagging lets you click on a variable or data type and find its declaration, or click on a variable and find all its references. The same goes for functions.

SlickEdit and SourceInsight are two of the better commercial options, but Emacs will do as well (though I've always found it's interface and keyboard shortcuts far too cryptic).
27 Nov, 2008, Nyxll wrote in the 16th comment:
Ultraedit32 … with a samba share on my server. If I am remote I use winscp3.

Through shell, VI. Nano is ok, just make sure you don't use PICO…. shudder.
27 Nov, 2008, Scandum wrote in the 17th comment:
I've always liked Joe.
27 Nov, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 18th comment:
I started with generic text editors and then Visual Studio. It got too annoying to work on Unix code in Windows and not really be able to compile and/or run it: the development cycle got too long. So my dad taught me the basics of vi, and I was up and running. Seven years later or so, I have trouble using anything else. :wink: And he still knows way more than I do; it's pretty crazy. But he's been using it since its release (err, and before too, since he wrote part of the first version).
0.0/18