08 Sep, 2006, saquivor wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
I already post the post below on smaugfuss website and did not receive a reply so I am also posting here and widening anyones view on mudlib/codesbases. May I also add that another slight issue I have with LPC is that it is not really used in RL, where as C/C++ skills are useful in RL as well.

Hi,

I have been playing around with LPC for several months now. I have found it interesting and a language well suited to mudding. However, there is virtually no community support and too much infighting. The fact the versions I have been using relly on mudos is also an issue for me, as it is a project that has ceased development. Although the LPC may live via Pike, it seems some way off before there would be a mudlib that usable.

I am considering switching to Smaug FUSS. I am not looking to setup a full game at this stage, just have a poke around. Could anyone advise me of the pro/cons of LPC versus SMaug. I have a reasonable knowledge of c/c++/c#, I am not an expert though.

Thanks,

Saquivor
08 Sep, 2006, Justice wrote in the 2nd comment:
I've never used LPC, so I can't make a comparison between it and SmaugFUSS. However, if you have questions on specific features of SmaugFUSS, feel free to let me know. I must have missed your previous post or been preoccupied.

My understanding of LPC is that it is heavily softcode based, which allows for alot of flexibility. IMHO, progs in smaug are powerful, but sorely lacking in several areas. I've been working on adding a script engine to SmaugFUSS using javascript and plan to add Python later. Some other of the more common languages may be added if I have time.

Smaug itself has many features that allow for quite a bit of flexibility when used properly. If you know how, it's generally possible to make most common changes with little code, much of which can be configured using the admin commands.
10 Sep, 2006, Conner wrote in the 3rd comment:
Saquivor, like Justice, I've never run an LPC based mud, so I can't help with comparing the two, and I didn't respond to your post on the SmaugFUSS forums because I haven't been there yet since I got back from my business trip that took me out of town (without internet access) from Tuesday morning until last night, but if you have any specific questions about Smaug or SmaugFUSS there are plenty of us would will be more than happy to do what we can to help you with it, here, on the SmaugFUSS forums, on Gammon's forums, and other places as well.
10 Sep, 2006, Guest wrote in the 4th comment:
Having never used LPC myself I'm not really qualified to make a comparison between that and Smaug. I would assume the softcoding support available in any LPC based engine would make it more versatile than something more rigid like Smaug.

However, Smaug is one of the better Diku based branches to work from. The FUSS project has been keeping things nicely maintained now for several years with a fairly active community behind it. From time to time I even get communications from official Smaug developers who are apparently still keeping track of where we've taken things since the last official Smaug release in 1998.
0.0/4