22 May, 2008, Justice wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
In recent years… I've noticed that the mud community is sorely lacking in systems topics.

What ever happened to talking about advancement systems, classed vs classless. Levels vs level-less. Skills… combat… deities… races… vehicles… wilderness… crafting… the list goes on and on.

I'm tired of legalism topics. Why don't we talk about the things that make muds great?
22 May, 2008, Zeno wrote in the 2nd comment:
I'm still waiting for a pirate MUD.
22 May, 2008, Hades_Kane wrote in the 3rd comment:
Justice said:
In recent years… I've noticed that the mud community is sorely lacking in systems topics.

What ever happened to talking about advancement systems, classed vs classless. Levels vs level-less. Skills… combat… deities… races… vehicles… wilderness… crafting… the list goes on and on.

I'm tired of legalism topics. Why don't we talk about the things that make muds great?

Because they all degenerate into flaming someone, talking about Medievia, and arguing about the Diku license.
22 May, 2008, Justice wrote in the 4th comment:
Hades_Kane said:
Because they all degenerate into flaming someone, talking about Medievia, and arguing about the Diku license.

Why? Frankly, I don't see how Medievia or the Diku license relates to this topic at all. Not all muds are DIKU dirivs afterall. So why don't we stick to the topic at hand.
22 May, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 5th comment:
I suppose that the best way to start such a discussion is to launch the conversation and see what happens, and hopefully this time it won't go sour. Personally, I am not hugely interested in these conversations because for the most part it is the same questions and issues several times over. There are relatively few new ideas. And for the truly good or new ideas, it takes a considerable amount of effort both to produce a readable post explaining what is going on, and to read said post. Proper design isn't the kind of thing you can hop in and out of; you need to put in a commitment to it and so it's hard to have an interesting conversation casually. A casual conversation that only touches upon high-level details is something we have had several times already. :thinking:

EDIT: as to why it comes back to legal issues a lot, that is pretty simple: if somebody is going to invest that much time into something, they want to claim the result as theirs. Then you start talking (yet again) about how to free oneself from the Diku license, assuming that is the codebase you started with.
22 May, 2008, Justice wrote in the 6th comment:
DavidHaley said:
I suppose that the best way to start such a discussion is to launch the conversation and see what happens, and hopefully this time it won't go sour.

I've started several threads on systems. The lack of response overall is why I've started this one.

DavidHaley said:
Personally, I am not hugely interested in these conversations because for the most part it is the same questions and issues several times over. There are relatively few new ideas. And for the truly good or new ideas, it takes a considerable amount of effort both to produce a readable post explaining what is going on, and to read said post.

The same questions and issues come up repeatedly in any topic. While most ideas are not truly new, I disagree that there isn't merit in discussing them. Many people aren't experienced mud admins and may not have seen the ideas before. In many cases these ideas evolve. But anyway, what you're saying is that people don't want to discuss them because of the effort involved in portraying their ideas? IE simple laziness or lack of time?

DavidHaley said:
EDIT: as to why it comes back to legal issues a lot, that is pretty simple: if somebody is going to invest that much time into something, they want to claim the result as theirs. Then you start talking (yet again) about how to free oneself from the Diku license, assuming that is the codebase you started with.

Heh, well… legally, your effort is owned by you. Other people's work is not. Time and time again, this is the end result of legalism threads. It's not going to change. I'll admit that I've freed myself from the DIKU license in the past, by writing a from-scratch codebase. However most developers can't devote that level of effort or lack the ability.
22 May, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 7th comment:
Justice said:
I've started several threads on systems. The lack of response overall is why I've started this one.

Well, fair enough. I guess I don't remember them for whatever reason.

Justice said:
The same questions and issues come up repeatedly in any topic. While most ideas are not truly new, I disagree that there isn't merit in discussing them. Many people aren't experienced mud admins and may not have seen the ideas before.

True enough for the people who aren't experienced mud admins. But I'm not sure why people who've talked about the issues several times already should talk about the same issues yet again…

Justice said:
But anyway, what you're saying is that people don't want to discuss them because of the effort involved in portraying their ideas? IE simple laziness or lack of time?

Both, perhaps. In my case, it would take me a long time to write down the ideas I have had in a way that (a) portrayed them accurately and (b) communicated them clearly to others, because I would have to write for somebody not in my head. :wink: And I am not hugely motivated to have long discussions about vague, high-level questions mostly because I have already had those discussions several times.
23 May, 2008, Zenn wrote in the 8th comment:
Pirate MUD, in theory, would not be -too- difficult. You'd just copy an existing coordinate system, like SWR's space system, and make modifications to it to where it's only X, Y. instead of X, Y, Z, take into account trajectories of cannons (Turrets exist in star wars, wouldn't be hard to make them fire cannonballs instead of lasers), distance, and things like GRAPPLE (dock), fire <muskets, cannonball, fireball (exploding cannonball), chainshot, grapeshot> [crew, hull, sails, cannons] would order your 'crew' to fire that type of thing at the specific

There'd be several counts: Hull, Sails, Cannons, and Crew. Sails goes down, you get slower. Cannons go down, you can't fire as often. Crew goes down, everything slows down and less likelihood of repelling boarders. Hull gets to 0, you sink.

My ideas go on and on and on.
0.0/8