04 Nov, 2008, quixadhal wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
For those of us who are US Citizens (and live in the US), today is Voting day. In case you were considering being lazy and not bothering, I'd like to remind you of the number one reason why it's absolutely vital to get out and vote…

If you don't vote, you can't complain about the President.

Since I don't think ANY of you will be able to resist complaining about El Presidente for the next four years, I think you can see why voting is so important.
04 Nov, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 2nd comment:
In case you don't know where your polling place is, Google has this nifty tool available.

I also urge everybody to vote. I'm happy to discuss my voting choice elsewhere but I think that voting is an absolutely essential civic duty.
04 Nov, 2008, Zeno wrote in the 3rd comment:
I would be voting if RockTheVote/NY hadn't screwed everything over.
This week we've been working hard to understand what's going on in New York State and why some of your friends and neighbors weren't appearing on the voter registration rolls. Due to lots of new registrants many counties and New York City boroughs did not finish data entering voter forms until late last week.

Today's New York Times article was dead wrong.

You may have seen the article today accusing Rock the Vote of giving you the wrong address to mail your voter registration form. This is not true–Don't let this sloppy journalism scare you.

etc
04 Nov, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 4th comment:
…wha? It would help if you noted who said what there…
04 Nov, 2008, Guest wrote in the 5th comment:
Indeed. Go vote. Even if you have to do so provisionally because of something like Zeno said.

Me, I've already voted by absentee ballot. I doubt I need to say who I voted for :)
04 Nov, 2008, Tyche wrote in the 6th comment:
I encourage anyone even thinking about voting to not bother. Your vote doesn't matter.
Instead after work or school go to happy hour and just tell everyone you were standing in line to vote for hours.

- doing my part for voter suppression -
04 Nov, 2008, Runter wrote in the 7th comment:
High voter turn out is indeed a foe.

I've always thought maybe voting shouldn't be a right. Then maybe it would be more cherished. If it was something you had to wade through endless bureaucracy to prove you are eligible to receive it.

That and we need a poll tax. And a literacy test at the poll.

Edit: But don't worry. You'll get that poll tax back at the end of the fiscal year. (If we decide you need it.)
04 Nov, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 8th comment:
Runter said:
High voter turn out is indeed a foe.

Err… Explain please?
Runter said:
That and we need a poll tax. And a literacy test at the poll.

Literacy test I could maybe see myself arguing for in some possible world, but a poll tax…?
04 Nov, 2008, Confuto wrote in the 9th comment:
Runter said:
And a literacy test at the poll.

Or, you know, just educate the population better…
04 Nov, 2008, Tyche wrote in the 10th comment:
I've always thought that the idea in Heinlein's "Starship Troopers" of military service being requisite to first class citizenship (right to vote) might produce better government.

Anyway…
Runter, nice to run into you again post Mudmagic. :-)
04 Nov, 2008, Zeno wrote in the 11th comment:
DavidHaley said:
…wha? It would help if you noted who said what there…

I got a number of emails from RockTheVote, what I quoted was from them.
04 Nov, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 12th comment:
Well, there's a pretty easy way to verify if the address was wrong. Compare it to what the official NY state site says.
04 Nov, 2008, quixadhal wrote in the 13th comment:
True, since voting IS one of the few things every US citizen can do, regardless of their education or financial status… it would be a good idea to take that last thing away. I mean, we all know we're really living in a Plutocracy anyways, so why not just make it official? Only people in the top 10% of the income brackets should be able to vote.

After all, it worked well in France. I'm sure many a Royal agreed that the peasants were revolting.
04 Nov, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 14th comment:
quixadhal said:
After all, it worked well in France. I'm sure many a Royal agreed that the peasants were revolting.

Tee hee… good pun. :lol:
04 Nov, 2008, Runter wrote in the 15th comment:
DavidSomebody said:
Literacy test I could maybe see myself arguing for in some possible world, but a poll tax…?

Yes, because, in my liberal-activist mind…

If you tax the polls then less people vote.
So less people drive to the polling stations.
Therefore more gas is saved.
In turn we save a polar bear.

Me and Obama both agree. High gas prices...
04 Nov, 2008, The_Fury wrote in the 16th comment:
Runter said:
If you tax the polls then less people vote.
So less people drive to the polling stations.
Therefore more gas is saved.
In turn we save a polar bear.

Me and Obama both agree. High gas prices...

Yeah that's a classic. We also need to tax idiots, trees and chipmunks.
04 Nov, 2008, Runter wrote in the 17th comment:
They say voting should by our most valuable and treasured right.

Then my question is why aren't we taxing it yet?!?!?!?!
04 Nov, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 18th comment:
Umm… yeah. :rolleyes:

the linked article said:
Barack Obama and a Democratic Congress have made it crystal clear: they have no interest in allowing the free market to operate freely.

I will never take this argument seriously again after seeing what the Republican administration has suggested and done during the economic crisis. John McCain's proposal of buying back the mortgages is a particular classic. So, yeah, sorry. :lol: The rest of the article doesn't fly too high either, what with the extraordinarily thinly veiled accusations of communism etc. (Geez, seriously people, isn't that getting a little old?)

Ah well. I think I just broke my rule, so I'll stop there.
04 Nov, 2008, Chris Bailey wrote in the 19th comment:
What in the world makes everyone think we have a RIGHT to vote in federal elections? As far as I know, we don't.
04 Nov, 2008, quixadhal wrote in the 20th comment:
Actually, that is one of the few rights that is granted to citizens only. If it wasn't spelled out as a right, we wouldn't bother with mass elections every 4 years, since it's the electoral college votes that actually elect the President.
0.0/229