28 Sep, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 61st comment:
Votes: 0
I think that all we have here is a case of a hyperbolic statement… there's not much point arguing about the exaggeration when even the basic idea is not going to happen.
28 Sep, 2008, Guest wrote in the 62nd comment:
Attracting players is a useful purpose. Doing so by attracting vote stuffing players who generate flamewars is not a useful purpose. What part of this is so hard to understand?
28 Sep, 2008, Davion wrote in the 63rd comment:
To clear a few things up. We started out as a mud resource site that slowly grew into a community. I'd say we are now a community and resource site for mud developers. The MUD listing we have is purely incentive to use our site, and it has worked quite well. We are not here to fill the gap that MudMagic/Rage left behind. I would much rather spend my time developing our code repository to turn it into a resource -I- would use all the time, instead of figuring out how to prevent cheating MUD admins from abusing our listing.

Fizban said:
[sarcasm]My bad, I didn't realize attracting players to MUDs wasn't useful.[/sarcasm]

If we were to implement a Mud listing with voting, the only people hitting the site would be players from other games. I wouldn't say this is attracting new players to the genre ;). This is one way we see it as pointless. It's just recycling the same old members around. We do not have the time or resources to go out there and advertise. If I did, though, I'd probably consider it. As it goes, most players become some form of staff. Strengthening our supply would definitely boost the site, however, all we'd be able to do with what we have at our disposal is help recycle players around.
28 Sep, 2008, The_Fury wrote in the 64th comment:
Davion said:
We do not have the time or resources to go out there and advertise. If I did, though, I'd probably consider it. As it goes, most players become some form of staff. Strengthening our supply would definitely boost the site, however, all we'd be able to do with what we have at our disposal is help recycle players around.

Do you have any idea of what it would cost, both in time and dollars?
28 Sep, 2008, Davion wrote in the 65th comment:
The_Fury said:

I have an idea about how much time it'd take, but an exact dollar amount, no. I know it's not cheap to advertise on some of the major gaming sites out there. I doubt even some of the big dev sites are cheap. I'd also have to take into account for getting the ads made. Who knows how much that'd cost.
28 Sep, 2008, Conner wrote in the 66th comment:
Chris Bailey said:
It's not that I don't want the mudding community to grow, that would be self-destructing considering that it's one of my favorite hobbies. I just think that the community as a whole needs a bit of consolidation before expansion. It seems to be spread so thinly lately and it's only getting worse. If 500 gas stations opened up in a town of 1000 people you would end up with a couple loaded down with customers and 450+ failures. What good would it do to build 100 more stations? And while a terrible mudding experience might not scare off most people, it certainly scares off some. I played a rather non-newbie friendly mud for 10 years, I loved every aspect of it. I had a few friends of mine with very similar interests try it out and they *hated* it. They were never interested in mudding again because they had such a difficult time with the first one they tried. First impressions go a long way. If I decided to try out Mountain Biking with Fury and he took me on an advanced trail down a steep mountain side filled with potholes and I ended up breaking my tail bone, I probably would never want to go mountain biking again.

:lol: Or at the very least, you'd probably never want to go mountain biking with him again. :wink:

Otherwise, I'd have to agree, and even your analogies aren't bad. What we don't need right now isn't an influx of fresh blood but yet more muds that are strictly stock or made by folks who have no mud staff experience. I welcome with my whole heart any newcomers to the fold, but let's welcome them to our existing muds before we unleash them to add yet more muds to an already overpopulated mud community so they can gain a little experience first.

As for the aspect of newbies finding they hate mudding in general and/or being scared off due to bad experiences, I will graciously volunteer to take all new would be mud players from now on at my mud as their initial training experience and introduction to the community so they'll be able to later come back to you already thrilled with mudding in general (and perhaps mildly addicted to Smaug, if not my own mud, as well…) ..in fact, we can start with those friends of yours that you mentioned, the link is below in my signature. :wink:

The_Fury said:
Davion said:
We do not have the time or resources to go out there and advertise. If I did, though, I'd probably consider it. As it goes, most players become some form of staff. Strengthening our supply would definitely boost the site, however, all we'd be able to do with what we have at our disposal is help recycle players around.

Ooo, I can answer this one! *waves his hand in the air*
"Too much!" :smile:
29 Sep, 2008, The_Fury wrote in the 67th comment:
Conner said:
Chris Bailey said:
If I decided to try out Mountain Biking with Fury and he took me on an advanced trail down a steep mountain side filled with potholes and I ended up breaking my tail bone, I probably would never want to go mountain biking again.

:lol: Or at the very least, you'd probably never want to go mountain biking with him again. :wink:

Otherwise, I'd have to agree, and even your analogies aren't bad. What we don't need right now isn't an influx of fresh blood but yet more muds that are strictly stock or made by folks who have no mud staff experience. I welcome with my whole heart any newcomers to the fold, but let's welcome them to our existing muds before we unleash them to add yet more muds to an already overpopulated mud community so they can gain a little experience first.

Ooo, I can answer this one! *waves his hand in the air*
"Too much!" :smile:

Chriss's analogies are good, although i think we ask a lot of any newbie developer in expecting that what they produce will be original and successful. I would never take a newbie for a ride on a grade 5 track as it is way beyond their abilities, i would take them on an easy grade 1 or 2 track. In the same way, aren't we asking a lot of an inexperience developer in expecting that they make a complete game that is successful.

I think that it is here where the big listing sites fail the genera. They need listings to bring people to the site and do not care about the quality or state of development, as what is important to them is having the traffic to be able to sell more ad space. I think encouraging people not to list until a game is ready is one step in the right direction and having listings reflect weather the game is in development or player ready is another, but this would be time consuming and laborious for those in admin rolls.

Samson is right in that we should be looking at ways to enhance Mudbytes current way of doing things, not looking to turn it into something that already exists that serves corporate interests over continuity ones.
29 Sep, 2008, Sandi wrote in the 68th comment:
Well, I hit "show all posts" and the post I was editing for two hours disappeared.

So instead of a long, enlightening post, I'm simply going to ask why it seemed necessary.

Orrin, who are you? What's your background?
29 Sep, 2008, Cratylus wrote in the 69th comment:
Well, I hit "show all posts" and the post I was editing for two hours disappeared.

That's pretty annoying. I've taken to first writing
my posts out in a text editor, then copypasting. It
has the added virtue of saving my fabulous words for
my own records, in case a sneaky admin tries to pull
a fast one or a site goes T.U. entirely.

I'm a little curious about this myself.

-Crat
http://lpmuds.net
29 Sep, 2008, Guest wrote in the 70th comment:
Cratylus said:

That's pretty annoying. I've taken to first writing
my posts out in a text editor, then copypasting.

Yep. It's annoying. But not entirely unfixable either as long as we're told when it happens. Code bugs are easy to correct, and will benefit everyone who uses QSFP at some point down the line too.

Cratylus said:
It has the added virtue of saving my fabulous words for

I dunno. Somehow that attitude just seems awfully paranoid to me. Or pessimistic, depending on which reason you're doing it for.
29 Sep, 2008, Orrin wrote in the 71st comment:
Sandi said:

The links in my sig should give you a good overview - there's a little bio in the 'Introduce Yourself' section of the forum on the MudGamers link too.
29 Sep, 2008, Cratylus wrote in the 72nd comment:
Samson said:
Cratylus said:
It has the added virtue of saving my fabulous words for

I dunno. Somehow that attitude just seems awfully paranoid to me.

LOL! Now that is rich.

-Crat
29 Sep, 2008, Sandi wrote in the 73rd comment:
Orrin said:
That's pretty emotive language to use without any kind of explanation.

Thanks for the bio, Orrin. Now I understand why my comments would need to be explained to you.

Orrin said:
I suppose my examples weren't great, but the point I was trying to make was that I think sometimes people on MUD community sites lose sight of the fact that there are a lot of popular games out there beyond the ones represented here.

Perhaps much in the same way a mystery writer might prefer to forget that romance novels exist? :wink:
29 Sep, 2008, Fizban wrote in the 74th comment:
Clicked the Maiden Desmodus link and altogether have to say the site looks nice, except one thing. It looks 'horrid' with a high screen resolution due to the fixed height and width. At 1920 x 1200 the text just looks smudgy and blurry and is barely readable.
29 Sep, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 75th comment:
Warning: pet-peeve grammar police approaching. :evil: Quotation marks shouldn't be used to indicate emphasis like that… it makes it look like you're talking about a special term or trying to be tongue-in-cheek somehow, which I don't believe is what you're actually trying to do. (Sorry, like I said, it's a pet peeve…)
29 Sep, 2008, Pedlar wrote in the 76th comment:
*pet-peeves DH*
29 Sep, 2008, The_Fury wrote in the 77th comment:
Pedlar said:
*pet-peeves DH*

This one time, At band camp, I had a pet 'peeve' on me.
03 Oct, 2008, Igabod wrote in the 78th comment:
The_Fury said:
Pedlar said:
*pet-peeves DH*

This one time, At band camp, I had a pet 'peeve' on me.

i once had a girlfriend who wanted me to "peeve" on her but i just couldn't bring myself to do it. needless to say i dumped her a couple days later.
03 Oct, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 79th comment:
… and that was taking the joke a bit too far … :thinking:
60.0/79