30 Nov, 2006, Conner wrote in the 21st comment:
Votes: 0
Actually, the code Thoric put into Smaug for archery and magic missile isn't nearly as complex as what was being discussed here, but it was a step in the right direction. Samson has a archery snippet that's a significant improvement on that as well. But I had the impression that the conversation here was directed at something even more (by several degrees) exacting and applies to any ranged weapon types, for example a thrown dagger was cited, rather than just the magic missile spell and bows/crossbows/peashooters/blowpipes/slings. *shrug*
01 Dec, 2006, Skol wrote in the 22nd comment:
*nod there*
The one I have works with each room as an additional 'range' so it's kind of a hack between room's away vs range. Although I am planning on coordinating rooms (all puns in ten did) as far as volume, also exit distances (to have short halls etc)… but, that's all still just on that ever burning 'when I get time enough to hash this crap out off my todo list'.
As it is, the system works pretty well, with bow speeds based off the bow, persons dex, skill level etc. Thrown add in strength bonus (I'm considering something along the lines of inertia, but often things are built horribly wrong in regards to weight). And of course I'd like to have varying degrees of impact (ie, a spear could likely knock your butt out the opposite exit, or stick you to the wall etc.

But hey, there are always places to recode, improve, add etc.
04 Dec, 2006, Justice wrote in the 23rd comment:
cbunting said:
Hello All,
I'm not too familiar with ranged systems but I thought Thoric wrote something like this in Smaug 1.4. I saw ranged something in the codebase for the archer code I thought. There is someone who had a mud years ago, something set in the future with guns and stuff and there were a bunch of original snippets that had to do with a system like the ones you've mentioned here.

Anyway, Just my thoughts,
Chris

I've played with some of thorics code… and am currently in the process of removing it from the SmaugFUSS I'm using. Will be replacing it with code based on the ranged search code I wrote. It's nice to hear about newer muds using ranged combat, haven't seen many besides GZ.

When I talk about ranged systems… there's so much more than just combat. The ranged search code I have, can be used for generating minimaps, or a track command. I recently updated the scan command to display a minimap to help visualize the surrounding rooms. In the GZA code I wrote it for, it was used for arrival messages, track, sounds, AI, etc. In the SmaugFUSS I'm working on now, I have an idea to make the NPC's search nearby rooms for shops or objects (loosely based on what a friend used on rogue winds).
04 Dec, 2006, Justice wrote in the 24th comment:
Conner said:
Actually, the code Thoric put into Smaug for archery and magic missile isn't nearly as complex as what was being discussed here, but it was a step in the right direction. Samson has a archery snippet that's a significant improvement on that as well. But I had the impression that the conversation here was directed at something even more (by several degrees) exacting and applies to any ranged weapon types, for example a thrown dagger was cited, rather than just the magic missile spell and bows/crossbows/peashooters/blowpipes/slings. *shrug*

I'm not sure I'd say that what we were talking about is more complex… unless it's KaVir's tile system. Mostly what I was thinking about was different applications. Thoric's code was much more task oriented than what I've written, but the fundamentals are the same. My code is simpler than his, but I also use C++ and the std library to handle most of the work.
Thanks to Samson… SmaugFUSS can be easily converted to C++, while SMAUG requires quite a bit of work.
08 Dec, 2006, Guest wrote in the 25th comment:
Conner said:

The archery code I've got out for Smaug isn't limited to just bows and arrows. Those are just names. If you wanted to call them bullets and guns, it's the same code. You could even call them ray guns and laser bolts if you wanted to stretch things a bit. Regardless, the code has been around awhile and Smaug itself already has operable ranged weapon/spell support. It's just that not very many people have actually used it for much.
20.0/25