11 Jun, 2006, Midboss wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
So, same as my combat thread. What implementation do all of you prefer? I think it's probably obvious for those who were reading the combat thread I'm in favor of involved magic systems. What might not be so obvious is that I like to see a lot of flavor text with accompanying magic. Anyway, let's hear what you all have to say.

* Component-based and external mana systems are most often coupled with one of the other systems; usually preparation or traditional.
11 Jun, 2006, Darmond wrote in the 2nd comment:
I would have to say reversed i havent used any other kinds yet sadly and reversed sounds closest to what i want to see in magic systems but then again as i havent tryed to many others sadly my vote is bias
11 Jun, 2006, Midboss wrote in the 3rd comment:
Reversed is a great improvement over the usual, actually. Involved casting is actually the same thing as reversed casting, you just get more options, which makes magical firefights a bit more interesting.
11 Jun, 2006, Darmond wrote in the 4th comment:
dam to bad i cant change my vote now if i had known involved was so simaler >_> o well in the long run its all good
11 Jun, 2006, Midboss wrote in the 5th comment:
Heh, no worries. It's not like the poll is supposed to mean anything, I just added it for kicks. What I'm really interested in is hearing people actually give their opinions, and reasoning.
11 Jun, 2006, Justice wrote in the 6th comment:
I voted for traditional, although I don't see the "wait" as the primary factor. I prefer systems that have the option of adjusting both pre/post wait.

I prefer simple defined skills and spells over "parsed" and "involved" due to the simplicity, although I like it when previous actions have a bearing on the effect of the spell. Component systems as you mention are often used. I tend to view components under 2 categories. Required (can't cast without them) and Aids (spell is more effective with "added" ingrediates). Been pondering the component system for my current project, and want to have components to utilize a "quality". Higher quality components increases the power and/or success of the spells. May in some cases add effects, etc.
11 Jun, 2006, Midboss wrote in the 7th comment:
That's an interesting take on components that I don't recall seeing before, Justice. I'd like to see that in action if you ever get around to it. Now, a bit more into why I like the 'involved' system.

The way I intend to implement it on End of Time, it is simply a really standard (for me) system where spells have a charge time and a much lesser (perhaps non-existant) wait time. When you cast a spell, it charges up, then fires, nothing to it. Now, if you're a bit more advanced and wish to take greater control of your spell, during the charge time, you're able to use various abilities to modify the pattern, such as compressing it to shorten the charge time, expanding it to add more charge time, pumping more mana into it or holding back to modify the power, or even changing the pattern to a similar one to cast a different spell entirely, thus faking your opponent out, and perhaps avoiding a nasty counterspell. The depth and involvement is entirely optional.

I should mention that End of Time isn't my MUD, or the project I mentioned on another thread earlier on. It's just something of a home, as a lot of its areas were more or less copied by a MUD that happened to be my first, and it brings back a lot of nostalgia for me. So, I've been more than happy to help Diablos out when I can. It doesn't hurt that he's a good friend, either.
11 Jun, 2006, Darmond wrote in the 8th comment:
mmmm i like the sound of that actualy as i have a indepth spell system planed myself involving skills that affect ones casting so something like that would be greatly benifical as one could use the skill while casting
11 Jun, 2006, Midboss wrote in the 9th comment:
Heh, with a few good counterspells implemented, it's the perfect system to base a Magic: The Gathering MUD on. That's where part of the idea comes from; the 'stack' in MtG.
11 Jun, 2006, Hades_Kane wrote in the 10th comment:
Of course you know I voted for Involved :)

I'm looking forward to seeing that implemented.
19 Jun, 2006, KaVir wrote in the 11th comment:
For me, one of the most important things is that the magic system be properly integrated with the combat system. And as my preference for combat is a combination of timer, combo and action-point based, the same is therefore true for magic.

The thing I really dislike about magic in most muds is the way it's used as a secondary role to physical combat. A warrior will hit you repeatedly with automated combat, and throw off the occasional kick or punch when he remembers to type it - and a mage will do exactly the same, except casting magic missile or fireball instead of the punch of kick.

When I think of a fight between two powerful witches, I don't envision them hitting each other with handbags, casting only the occasional spell when they remember - I envision them standing off several yards apart, engaging each other purely through magic; a counter-spell dissipating a fireball, a forcefield deflecting a lightning bolt, and so on. That's how I'd like to see a magical battle played out.

When a mage and a warrior encounter each other, I'd like the same sort of approach to apply - the mage throws a firebolt, which the warrior deflects with his shield, then the warrior thrusts with his sword, and the mage deflects it with a psychokinetic barrier. Much of this could even be handled cosmetically, but to me it would still make a huge difference.
0.0/11