15 Jun, 2006, Conner wrote in the 121st comment:
Votes: 0
Midboss said:
Actually, I was thinking more like an _exact_ theme could be entered, a more vague Fantasy/Sci-Fi/Anime/Video Game theme would still need to be selected. Then if people want to search an exact theme they enter it into the listing search engine.
See, now that I could see, sort of have a generic theme list and then let each admin specify a subcategory for their mud's theme.
15 Jun, 2006, Dragona wrote in the 122nd comment:
Midboss said:
I'm under the impression that new submissions to the list would have to be approved first, and have even volunteered ealier in the thread to help with that, so that might not be much of an issue.

hummm… That sounds like something I could do… :grinning:
15 Jun, 2006, Conner wrote in the 123rd comment:
Dragona said:
well not every field but a few field that you can select other for and fill in what you what for that field… maybe 3 fields… and you have to decide what other info you really want others to know

That'd work too, for the handful of special features that each admin feels really makes their mud 'hot' and everything else has to just go in the description block.
15 Jun, 2006, Midboss wrote in the 124th comment:
I wouldn't put a limit on what fields can do that. For selecting an archetype, you'd enter 'other' in the engine, or you could use them for string matching with the search function. I would just make 'other' available wherever it could be useful. Anything regarding to gameplay or rulesets, specifically. And for theme, I think having theme archetypes ('Literature' vs. specific books, 'Video Games' vs. Final Fantasy) with a field to enter a string for your _exact_ theme would be a great feature.
15 Jun, 2006, Conner wrote in the 125th comment:
Midboss said:
I wouldn't put a limit on what fields can do that. For selecting an archetype, you'd enter 'other' in the engine, or you could use them for string matching with the search function. I would just make 'other' available wherever it could be useful. Anything regarding to gameplay or rulesets, specifically. And for theme, I think having theme archetypes ('Literature' vs. specific books, 'Video Games' vs. Final Fantasy) with a field to enter a string for your _exact_ theme would be a great feature.
*nod* I like the idea, as long as the general architypes already match each other.
15 Jun, 2006, Dragona wrote in the 126th comment:
Midboss said:

okay so have a drop down list and the bottom one is 'other' and then it has a box you can type in?
15 Jun, 2006, Midboss wrote in the 127th comment:
Yeah. I'd actually support having 'other' as an option for everything.
15 Jun, 2006, Conner wrote in the 128th comment:
Dragona said:
Midboss said:

okay so have a drop down list and the bottom one is 'other' and then it has a box you can type in?

I think that's what he was suggesting, yes.
15 Jun, 2006, Midboss wrote in the 129th comment:
Totally what I was suggesting. My MUD's major aim is to be different, so I'll probably need as many other fields as I can get.-grins-
15 Jun, 2006, Dragona wrote in the 130th comment:
LOL okay I see now…
15 Jun, 2006, Midboss wrote in the 131st comment:
Another idea. How about a seperate list for MUDs that aren't open to players, for those that refuse to accept players while the MUD is still embarassingly barren? This list would mostly be for those interested in finding a staff position, and those looking to find new staff.
15 Jun, 2006, Dragona wrote in the 132nd comment:
Thats a good idea from the players prospective… I wouldn't want to have to click on every mud just to find out that that mud is not accepting players right now :smile:
16 Jun, 2006, Conner wrote in the 133rd comment:
Actually, it's not a bad idea from the perspective of prospective staff either, if someone's looking specifically for a fresh start mud environment where they can be a member of the staff from the ground floor why make them skim through every listing to try to find those who've probably not even bothered to list since they're not ready for players yet, when we could have a place specifically for them, in fact, it'd make the rest of the muds listed look like they're part of a bigger list too since it'd encourage those folk who might otherwise not list submit a listing since they could be in a separate category, and once they are ready to open to the public, or even open for alpha/beta stages they could just change a category setting within their listing.
16 Jun, 2006, Midboss wrote in the 134th comment:
Mmhm, exactly. It'd be really useful for those of us who are in early development and need staff, too.
16 Jun, 2006, Conner wrote in the 135th comment:
Midboss said:
Mmhm, exactly. It'd be really useful for those of us who are in early development and need staff, too.

I can easily see that, and if it was a regular thing that muds in early development listed as not accepting players but seeking staff, there'd be more muds listing that way and more of those potential staff members would already know where to look for possible positions. I think it's a great idea. Has it been done at any of the other sites yet?
16 Jun, 2006, Midboss wrote in the 136th comment:
Not to my knowledge, no. To be fair though, I haven't listed in four years.
16 Jun, 2006, Midboss wrote in the 137th comment:
Along with the standard alphabetical/theme listings, how about letting someone grab a list based on what type of combat/magic/training the MUD uses? Like, say I only want to see traditional combat systems, or only want to see turn-based.
16 Jun, 2006, Zeno wrote in the 138th comment:
Wow, 10 pages.

But yeah, sounds like a good option. That's very important in a MUD.
16 Jun, 2006, Conner wrote in the 139th comment:
Zeno said:
Wow, 10 pages.

But yeah, sounds like a good option. That's very important in a MUD.

Well, aside from the page or two of off-topic banter between Dragona, Midboss, and myself the other night, that just goes to show how important this topic is to folks in general and how badly the community needs another site to offer mud listings, right?

As for Midboss' latest suggestion, I agree, the more ways that a searcher can narrow the search the better.
17 Jun, 2006, Midboss wrote in the 140th comment:
Speaking of off-topic banter, next time, we should start a topicless topic to take that to. Just a thought.
120.0/143