15 Jun, 2006, Conner wrote in the 81st comment:
Votes: 0
Dragona said:
Conner said:
(On a related side note, I was planning on writing up the steps to change Smaug's channel system to use extended BVs instead of BVs and Samson already said he thought it was a good idea for a submission to the aforementioned articles section, so there may be something there soon afterall.)

:sad: but I can't learn from that one it is already done on Land of Legends… Have to have more, more … Lots more *cackle*
Start recruiting code teachers then! I'm kind of limited in what I can teach you. *shrug*
15 Jun, 2006, Midboss wrote in the 82nd comment:
I could probably do a tutorial taking care of common changes to ROM, but then, I wouldn't really know what all to include. Anyone have suggestions?
15 Jun, 2006, Conner wrote in the 83rd comment:
Dragona said:
Conner said:
They used to come to me until I started getting to be able to actually answer their questions, it must be your turn by now.

Is that cause they came to you with the question and then told you how to do it?
No, actually I don't know why they stopped coming to me with coding questions, but I have actually learned enough to know some of the answers now, back when they all would come to me, I could only guess at the answers for them. *shrug*
15 Jun, 2006, Dragona wrote in the 84th comment:
Conner said:
Start recruiting code teachers then! I'm kind of limited in what I can teach you. *shrug*

I tried but then he has turned off IMs… :(
15 Jun, 2006, Midboss wrote in the 85th comment:
Because of the nature of the snippets I've released (I jokingly refer to them as a "Final Fantasy MUD in a box"), I get questions from a lot of complete newbies who really need to screw around with their code a bit more before they start trying to run a MUD. At first I tried to be helpful but they had no desire to actually do anything themselves, they were hoping I'd give them the exact code to do what they wanted.
15 Jun, 2006, Dragona wrote in the 86th comment:
Midboss said:
I could probably do a tutorial taking care of common changes to ROM, but then, I wouldn't really know what all to include. Anyone have suggestions?

Changing ROM to what?
15 Jun, 2006, Conner wrote in the 87th comment:
I think that's about how I started, begging snippets that I could plug 'n play so I could guess at what made them tick. *chuckle*
15 Jun, 2006, Midboss wrote in the 88th comment:
Not changing to, common changes to. Such as new classes and whatnot. There are a lot of things people regularly do to ROM, and that's about all I could probably cover for a tutorial.
15 Jun, 2006, Conner wrote in the 89th comment:
Dragona said:
Midboss said:

Changing ROM to what?
"With a loud 'POOF!' and a bunch of smoke, ROM becomes…"
15 Jun, 2006, Conner wrote in the 90th comment:
Midboss said:
Not changing to, common changes to. Such as new classes and whatnot. There are a lot of things people regularly do to ROM, and that's about all I could probably cover for a tutorial.

Sounds pretty useful, and certainly more than what's already there.
15 Jun, 2006, Midboss wrote in the 91st comment:
I think that's about how I started, begging snippets that I could plug 'n play so I could guess at what made them tick. *chuckle*

Yeah, but at least you had the initiative to guess what made them tick! These guys were more or less trying to recruit me to their 'mudz'.
15 Jun, 2006, Midboss wrote in the 92nd comment:

It becomes a pile of fish.
15 Jun, 2006, Conner wrote in the 93rd comment:
Midboss said:

Yeah, but at least you had the initiative to guess what made them tick! These guys were more or less trying to recruit me to their 'mudz'.
:lol: I encountered a few of those.. I disabused them of those notions by showing them my todo list and offering to help them if they could help me.
15 Jun, 2006, Dragona wrote in the 94th comment:
Conner said:

Yeah but we got some cool things out of that 'plug n' play'
15 Jun, 2006, Midboss wrote in the 95th comment:
Erh, I have a way with words when I need to. Most of the ones that came to me with the notion I'd code their entire MUD for them are no longer cluttering the 'net with their inevitably sub-par MUDs.<.<
15 Jun, 2006, Dragona wrote in the 96th comment:
Midboss said:

Sorry, can't help there… I don't know ROM never even looked at strickly ROM… SmaugFUSS only… sorry
15 Jun, 2006, Dragona wrote in the 97th comment:
Conner said:

a mess?
15 Jun, 2006, Conner wrote in the 98th comment:
Dragona said:
Conner said:

Yeah but we got some cool things out of that 'plug n' play'

We did at that. :smile:
15 Jun, 2006, Dragona wrote in the 99th comment:
Midboss said:

It becomes a pile of fish.

ROFL
15 Jun, 2006, Conner wrote in the 100th comment:
Midboss said:
Erh, I have a way with words when I need to. Most of the ones that came to me with the notion I'd code their entire MUD for them are no longer cluttering the 'net with their inevitably sub-par MUDs.<.<

While I hate to discourage new mud admins, there are some we're all better off without.
80.0/143