27 Aug, 2008, Zenn wrote in the 121st comment:
Votes: 0
The US [government] has yet to become a […] chaotic cesspool.

Really?
27 Aug, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 122nd comment:
I'm not entirely sure whether to take your comment seriously or not, especially considering that what you quoted isn't what I said. So for now I think I'll just leave it…
27 Aug, 2008, Zenn wrote in the 123rd comment:
Yes, I was joking. :lol:
27 Aug, 2008, Hades_Kane wrote in the 124th comment:
Despite all the progress we've made in this thread over the last few days, I still think it might be wise to be a bit careful about joking in a way that kinda helped get all this started… I think there is still a high degree of sensitivity about all of this floating around, and I appreciate your attempt to interject some humor in the midst of all of this, but I think for now it might be a tad inappropriate given the subject matter :p
27 Aug, 2008, Kayle wrote in the 125th comment:
I'm inclined to agree with both HK and David. We need to stop and see what sort of status changes come about from our immense discussion. There's no point arguing about what's alright and what's not until we know for sure who we should be discussing all of this with.

This isn't the place for another Cratylus vs. Samson argument to break out. If there is absolutely a need for another of those, it should be taken privately, because while I can't speak for the whole community, I can say that I for one am tired of reading the constant bickering.

I also find myself in agreement with HK once again (as I click preview and find 4 new posts while I sorted my thoughts on this one) that it's probably a bit inappropriate for humor to be interjected in such a way as to be reminiscent of how this all got started in the first place. We're trying to resolve the issue, not refresh it.
27 Aug, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 126th comment:
Kayle said:
This isn't the place for another Cratylus vs. Samson argument to break out. If there is absolutely a need for another of those, it should be taken privately, because while I can't speak for the whole community, I can say that I for one am tired of reading the constant bickering.

For what it's worth, I don't think we've gotten to that point, and so far things have been civil (especially considering the touchy subject matter). I think that's a testament to progress made.

And agreed re: the humor.
27 Aug, 2008, Kayle wrote in the 127th comment:
It might not have escalated to that as of yet, but it did seem well on its way to escalating to that point.
27 Aug, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 128th comment:
Yes, but if there's anything to be learned, it's that we should be careful about making negative assumptions. This thread could have been locked from the getgo, but wasn't, and frankly I think many positive things have come of it.
27 Aug, 2008, Cratylus wrote in the 129th comment:
Kayle wrote:
If there is absolutely a need for another of those, it should be taken privately

Heh, "get a room"? Maybe you're onto something
there. Maybe it is love!

Things do seem to be starting to get repetitive.
I don't especially like getting locked into
one of these talking-past-each-other feedback
loops with Samson, so unless there's something
new to respond to, I'm happy to stand back and
hear from the admins what they think of
all this.

-Crat
http://lpmuds.net
27 Aug, 2008, Guest wrote in the 130th comment:
DavidHaley said:
Uh, err, well, because moderators of a forum aren't the community's bosses or legal judges? :wink:

Perhaps not legal judges but they are nonetheless a form of judge. They examine a situation and make a determination about how to resolve it. Sometimes it's just a simple "hey, be nice" and other times it's locking a thread, deleting a post, toading someone, ticketing them for $500… oh wait.

DavidHaley said:
<edit>Actually, come to think of it, if a moderator thinks of him/herself as analogous to a corporate manager or legal judge, I'd be concerned about that person's ability to effectively moderate a volunteer, hobbyist community…

Analogous to a corporate manager or legal judge, no. But we haven't exactly got much else to compare it to. I wasn't trying to make a literal comparison, rather more of a method to explain what I was getting at. Apparently I failed at that once again. Honestly I'm not sure how else to explain it, so maybe someone who did understand what I was getting at would like to take a crack at it.

DavidHaley said:
or for that matter, if that person thinks that corporate managers should behave in the way you've described, I'd be concerned about those managers' competence!</edit>

Yes, well, I think you may understand yet why I had some difficulties with previous management where I worked. The difference is, I didn't stand up in the middle of the help desk and cry out that being told to work on a project I didn't want was fascist and immoral. Nor did I stand up and declare than my free speech rights were being trampled by an oppressive supervisor. No, instead I invoked my rights as defined in the "open door policy" portion of the handbook. When that failed, I took my case to HR, aka, proper channels. As it turns out, that didn't help me. It only made things worse. I genuinely feel sorry for those co-workers left to deal with it since the feeling of "oppression" was fairly widespread. I guess you could say that seeing me "banned" and then seeing the contents of my desk emptied out right in front of them will send the message they want sent. Anyone who has read my blog post can see the whole story if they want. It was far more than just objecting to a single assignment, but looking back I'm betting it was the trigger point that led to the rest.

The kicker? Corporate America regards managers like the ones I had as fully competent because they "handle confrontation appropriately" by removing the source. They even give them awards. Many of us nicknamed the training they took to get there as "going to asshole school".

I suppose Cratylus and HK feel that coming to us here ended up much the same way. That's largely my fault since I was the one primarily dealing with them on it. Probably not a useful analogy, but Davion and Kiasyn are more like the HR department. They sit back and watch and only get involved when there's an escalation complaint. Yet, as I learned with the job, they still tend to agree with the result I handed out even if they'll openly admit they didn't like how I pursued getting there. Much like HR flat out told me they didn't appreciate how my supervisors arrived at the decision to punish me, but agreed that the punishment itself was valid.

DavidHaley said:
Anyhow, lots has come out of this thread. I'm a little surprised you think that absolutely nothing has happened.

I didn't say nothing has come out of it, but what else are we all discussing right now? You've asked it yourself. What is going to come of all this? Cratylus more bluntly asked if this was nothing more than the Kumbaya moment and tomorrow we'd all be back to business as usual. A couple of people offered up some ideas, but were promptly hit with "be more specific" when nobody seems to know yet exactly what's supposed to happen. Right now all we have are generalities mixed in with getting some stuff off our chests and making attempts to mend fences. I know I'm probably not coming across well again. But damn if I can even think of how to explain in the detail that's wanted.

DavidHaley said:
Here's the situation now. Everybody agrees that we want things like decency and respect. But you clearly have a very different idea from others as to how that is achieved. You think it's by coming down hard and heavy; other people don't. My suggestion in all of this is that the current approach hasn't really been working, so perhaps it is time to try something new.

All due respect, but I'm not the only one here who thinks cracking down was a viable approach or that your velvet glove idea wasn't working. And at the risk of once more pissing some people off, I see here more or less the same people arguing that moderation at the levels needed is a bad thing vs a slightly larger number of people who think stricter moderation is long overdue. The vast majority, as always, is silent. And I hate to even mention it again, but since TMC is the only self-moderated forum I've ever found, and it doesn't work, I remain unconvinced that such an approach ever can. I have seen clear evidence that stricter moderation does work - and even within our own community there are two forums where uber-strict moderation is the rule and is enforced. The odd scizm is that on TMS, several participants thought it draconian and unfair. Yet, these very same participants go to Mudlab and haven't ever complained about it one bit. From where I stand the only reason I can see for that is because Lasher is a bastard and KaVir is not. Even though the last I checked, neither Lasher nor KaVir are actually active in moderating their sites. They have others who do the grunt work.

DavidHaley said:
I think you mistake lack of agreement with lack of respect.

And frankly I think that's a tired old argument with no validity or evidence to back it, but ok.

DavidHaley said:
Frankly, I don't think that all of your moderation actions have shown much respect toward the people in question, so two-way street and all.

The same thing was said about the mods on TMS when the hammer came down. The same things were said about the Bethesda mods when they brought the hammer down. The same thing was said about Kyndig when he brought the hammer down ( and I really REALLY don't want to get back into that one again ). The same thing was said about mods on 5 tech forums I visit and 7 political forums. All when the hammer came down. I'd venture to guess it's actually said quite a lot, that moderating someone is the same as showing them disrespect.

But you know what? After awhile things mellowed. Threshold stopped dishing out needless personal attacks to make his points. Matt quit acting like a spoiled brat every other post. The amount of hateful things being said dwindled to nearly nothing there. Ozma ( for the most part ) stopped being a prick on MM. Modders at the Bethesda site finally started getting useful feedback instead of "you suck, go die" posts. People on the tech forums stopped dickwaving about who's hardware was better and instead got into more interesting arguments about why each piece of hardware was better or worse, and providing useful evidence to back it up. And the big kicker was on the politics forums. Liberals and Conservatives were able to have actual debates without the words asswipe and dickbrain being used every other sentence. Sure, they still get into it there from time to time. Politics is extremely touchy stuff, but the moderators don't wait for the 12 page taser style threads to blow up before something is done. None of which was possible if status-quo had been maintained and the mods were afraid to crack down because the initial wave of dissent was so loud.

So I think somewhere in all this we can find a way to clamp down on the problems but it's going to require patience, tongue biting, and restraint. I'd love to be proven wrong about self-moderation. So if everyone thinks that's viable, I'm sure it would make the admins quite happy. Honestly, I don't have that kind of faith in any forum environment. So the only viable solution I see is one where enforcement is actually done and where threads repeatedly calling the action into question are simply removed. I know that's not a popular position to take, but I can think of at least one man in this country who has taken a number of unpopular positions but has stood by them - and eventually been proven right in most of them.

Most probably I'm not that person here, but whoever it is should realize that moderation is necessary, not evil, and should stick to their guns regardless of how loud the dissenters are about it. Because statistically speaking right now they're a very small ( but vocal ) minority.

(edited for busted bbcode tags)
27 Aug, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 131st comment:
I'm going to be intentionally brief in light of what was just said, so here are a few points:

Samson said:
The kicker? Corporate America regards managers like the ones I had as fully competent because they "handle confrontation appropriately" by removing the source.

I find your attitude towards your ex-manager somewhat ironic given your stance on how moderation should be handled on forums. I happen to agree with your cynicism regarding the manager, which should speak at least a little to what I think about how the analogous approach works on forums. :wink:

Samson said:
All due respect, but I'm not the only one here who thinks cracking down was a viable approach or that your velvet glove idea wasn't working.

I'm not exactly sure how people could think it wasn't working, when it wasn't even tried. :wink:

Samson said:
So I think somewhere in all this we can find a way to clamp down on the problems but it's going to require patience, tongue biting, and restraint. I'd love to be proven wrong about self-moderation.

Well, I definitely agree about the first part, and I think everybody else does. I'm not sure where the second part is coming in because nobody has suggested that moderation be completely out of the hands of the site staff.

EDIT:
Samson said:
DavidHaley said:

And frankly I think that's a tired old argument with no validity or evidence to back it, but ok.

At least one person other than me has expressed that they respect you considerably without agreeing with absolutely everything you do. I'm not sure what kind of evidence you're looking for?
27 Aug, 2008, Guest wrote in the 132nd comment:
Cratylus said:
Samson said:
If a moderation action is directed at you, discuss it in private with the admins.

If I am publicly punished, I think it's ok to
want to discuss it publicly.

Since this is at the core of the entire argument for you, I'll just simply state one last time that what you view as appropriate isn't always going to match what the operators of a site view as appropriate. And challenging your boss is exactly what you've continued to advocate. I'm sorry, but we're never going to agree on this, so really, there's no further point in keeping at it.

The entire rest of your response to me was just a wash-rinse-repeat cycle that I know for a fact nobody wants to go through again, so…. yeah, don't really feel like repeating myself again since you obviously feel that no matter how I handle things, it's because I disagreed with you, not because you actually did something wrong. Repeating it over and over in public hasn't made it any more true in 8 months time.

And alas, I see that …. sheesh… several posts landed between my last one, yours, and this one, and yeah, Crat, can we please just let it go already? Agree to disagree and be done with it?

EDIT:
DavidHaley said:
Samson said:

At least one person other than me has expressed that they respect you considerably without agreeing with absolutely everything you do. I'm not sure what kind of evidence you're looking for?

Because that's not what you said. You said nothing about people who respect me yet still disagree. You simply stated that I mistake a lack of agreement for a lack of recpect and that's what I was more or less eye-rolling over.

and one of these days I'm gonna get these bbcode tags right!
27 Aug, 2008, Hades_Kane wrote in the 133rd comment:
I think there may have been some misunderstanding regarding the moderator issue.

I don't recall (if I'm wrong, please correct me) anyone suggesting they would like to see Mudbytes self-moderated.

I know Cratylus went so far as to bold/highlight that he is strongly in favor of moderation, while I know I have stated numerous times I favor moderation. I believe that there is a general consensus among everyone on the site that moderation is a good thing, I think a good number of us would just like to see the moderation be a bit more… moderate.

Overall the impression I've gotten is that those of us who would like to see change would like to see it in the following areas:

-A bit more clarification on the rules, policy, etc. I know I'd like to see outlined a bit better what is considered appropriate conversation, and if certain things are off limits, I'd like to see that clearly written down somewhere.

-A bit more even enforcement of the rules and policies. Some of the confusion about the Russia/Georgia thread came as a result of one Admin posting in the thread without so much of a word about the sensitive nature of it, and another locking it. It seems a bit inconsistent.

-An approach to moderation where generally across the board of Admins/Mods, warnings are issued prior to thread locking or whatever means of moderation are taken. Within those warnings, a degree of impartiality about the issue/posters in question would hopefully be exercised, along with specifics about what policy or guideline outlined on the site was breached to issue the warning. Basically the same approach when a thread is being locked.

As far as I can remember, I think those are what some of us are after. What I mean, personally, by "letting the leash loose" or however I worded it, is taking more of a "warn first" type of attitude before locking a thread and giving it at least some chance for resolution, apologies, clarifications, what-have-you, before actually locking it. I didn't intend to suggest let us moderate ourselves, but to give us a little bit of room to get topics back on track before the threads are moderated or locked.

In regards to the respect issue, I don't think anyone is suggesting that they felt disrespected by the actual act of having a thread locked. For me personally, when you locked my 'Thread Locking' thread, I don't believe I felt disrespected by that. I didn't feel disrespected when the thread was locked after my warning. When I specifically felt disrespected was when I felt like you had insulted me and "took sides" in the Georgia/Russia thread in the post where you announced it was locked. The approach I think many of us would have rather seen taken in that regard would have been something more along the lines of "This thread is inappropriate discussion for what we want here. The topics and some opinions expressed are far too volatile and have the potential to be offensive for many of the posters, so I'm locking the thread to prevent it from getting out of hand like the taser thread." Had an approach similar to that been taken, I can 100% honestly say I would have had no problem with it being locked. It was the approach taken when it was locked that I had issue with, and I might be being a bit bold in speaking for others, but I think specifically this is the type of thing that others have been concerned with. I think that's where this "disagreement vs. respect" issue is being misunderstood, so I hope that maybe this helped clear that up a bit.

Edited to add:
I'm headed to bed now though, so this will be my last reply on everything for the night. Hopefully I won't come in tomorrow and have 3 pages of stuff to reply to and write another epic post :p
27 Aug, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 134th comment:
Samson said:
Because that's not what you said. You said nothing about people who respect me yet still disagree.

In the particular post you replied to, you are correct, but I had said it several times before. Here is an example, from post 99. I've made bold the relevant part.
DavidHaley from post 99 said:
If I may be so bold, there might be less hostility toward you than you think, especially in recent times. I understand that for various reasons you feel hostility, but – and I say this with all due respect – I think that you might be exaggerating the negative feelings most people have toward you. A lot of people have a great deal of respect and admiration for you, even if they don't always completely agree with everything you do. To take my personal example, I've strongly defended you on several occasions and in several places and would do so again; yet sometimes I have gotten the feeling that you think I hate you because I occasionally tell you I think you're making a mistake. Anyhow, I'm glad that things seem to be on the mend.

I've said similar things in the past. HK made similar remarks in a few posts. I don't really feel like digging everything up in this 130+ post thread, and previous threads, but I hope that you will believe me now.
27 Aug, 2008, Guest wrote in the 135th comment:
Hades_Kane said:
I know Cratylus went so far as to bold/highlight that he is strongly in favor of moderation, while I know I have stated numerous times I favor moderation. I believe that there is a general consensus among everyone on the site that moderation is a good thing, I think a good number of us would just like to see the moderation be a bit more… moderate.

Well, it seems to me to be more of a credibility issue in this case. Coming from him, claiming to favor moderation rings hollow when he's clearly demonstrated in the past that he doesn't like it. And I get the same kind of feeling from David. That he says he's in favor of it, but his responses to it have nearly always been hostile. So I really don't know where to go with what he say vs how he reacts to it. Coming from you, I have no reason to doubt your sincerity.

-A bit more clarification on the rules, policy, etc. I know I'd like to see outlined a bit better what is considered appropriate conversation, and if certain things are off limits, I'd like to see that clearly written down somewhere.

Well, I forget who now, but someone said that listing specific types of topics didn't feel right but that more clear definitions were needed. I linked to what I consider a good set of rules, but maybe nobody saw the link, so I'll quote them here now for clarity:

The Rules said:
This site is intended for the civil use of our members. As such, certain behavior while posting is expected. Any breech of these rules will result in appropriate disciplinary action at the administration's sole discretion, up to and including the full revocation of your access to this site.

By posting to this site, you agree to the following terms:

* No hate speech. This includes but is not limited to: racism, sexist, and bigotry.
* No harassment. This includes such things as "trolling", "flaming", and antagonizing others for your own amusement.
* No promotion of illegal activities. This includes but is not limited to:
+ Pirated software, commonly referred to as "warez".
+ Child pornography.
+ Instructions for how to commit a crime.
+ Scams, pyramid schemes, or other means by which to cheat people out of money.
* No sexually explicit material of any kind.
* No posting of libelous claims against another party.
* No spam. Generally defined as any unsolicited bulk advertisement.
* No automatically generated posts. Including, but not limited to, the use of bots or other programs to post or handle registration.
* No signature, profile, or post links promoting the activities of known copyright violators, code thieves, etc.
* No posting of other user's email addresses in public without their prior consent.

The administration reserves the right to make judgments on any material posted that does not clearly fall within one of these rules but is deemed to be offensive or falls outside the confines of general decency. Questions about this policy should be raised in private with the site administrators. Public discussion of administrative action is not permitted and any such topics raised will be immediately removed and the poster may face additional punishment.

I think those would more or less clear up any ambiguity left. We can't really know what topics will be problems under policy like this but I'm convinced that even when someone says it wasn't intentional that they still knew it wouldn't go over well anyway. People do often have trouble admitting they went over the line even when they know for sure they have.

-A bit more even enforcement of the rules and policies. Some of the confusion about the Russia/Georgia thread came as a result of one Admin posting in the thread without so much of a word about the sensitive nature of it, and another locking it. It seems a bit inconsistent.

In fairness, I think Kiasyn just didn't realize how sensitive the issue was. Perhaps he wasn't aware of the whole Georgia issue or what it meant. Maybe, like me, he didn't see what Zenn said about oil - though also in fairness Zenn was looking for an answer, and it's one possibility several nations had put forth as a reason for it. Nobody knew at the time. I don't think we still do yet. You posted after Kiasyn, and I don't know if he saw your response or not. Moderators don't really have the luxury of wondering if someone else saw it. The nature of the beast says to put a stop to a potential problem. In your case, you posted your statement as though it were indisputable, and I had no way of knowing if you were being deliberately antagonistic, ignorant of the subject, or if you truly beleive that of our government. Frankly I wasn't going to wait to find out on that one. I see your point about how you think it was insulting, that was not my intent. Fingers before brains as it were. I more or less typed my gut reaction and then locked it to prevent the inevitable mess that was sure to follow. So I apologize for that as well, it pushed the boundaries a bit. But I won't apologize for having locked the thread. It was a ticking time bomb by that point. Even if Kiasyn had seen it, I don't know if he would fully realize the inflammatory nature of the comment regardless of the intent behind it. I really have no idea how up he is on controversial US political issues. I think Davion already as much said that he doesn't care about US politics. I don't know if he saw it either, or knows exactly what kind of a firestorm that was if he did.

Hades Kane said:
What I mean, personally, by "letting the leash loose" or however I worded it, is taking more of a "warn first" type of attitude before locking a thread and giving it at least some chance for resolution, apologies, clarifications, what-have-you, before actually locking it. I didn't intend to suggest let us moderate ourselves, but to give us a little bit of room to get topics back on track before the threads are moderated or locked.

The clarification helps. Left to simple statements like letting the leesh loose, people have to infer meaning. I inferred it to mean self-moderation. I think I've been pretty clear on how I don't think that can ever work.

Hades Kane said:
When I specifically felt disrespected was when I felt like you had insulted me and "took sides" in the Georgia/Russia thread in the post where you announced it was locked.

As noted above, that wasn't my intention. I don't think anyone here needs to guess that I do have a side to take on the Georgia/Russia thing and that it may not go along with what's been accepted as the "truth" behind it either. I'm equally sure people know by now where I stand on Iraq and Afghanistan. But that's a subject for blogs and political forums. Not for a MUD forum. I think most people here realize the potential problems with posting politics. Honestly I don't see why it should need to be specifically forbidden since common sense dictates it be left elsewhere just because it's so volatile, and because not everyone would necessarily understand why the rest of us would have gotten so worked up about it.

David Haley said:
In the particular post you replied to, you are correct, but I had said it several times before. Here is an example, from post 99. I've made bold the relevant part.

As you pointed out, I was responding to that particular reply. Not to post 99. HK never said I mistake disagreement for disrespect.

And if I may be so bold, this sort of thing is why you tend to agitate me so much when something like this happens. You say something, I respond, then you reply back claiming that isn't what you said or meant. Can you at least see why it's confusing and frustrating to deal with?
27 Aug, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 136th comment:
Samson said:
Well, it seems to me to be more of a credibility issue in this case. Coming from him, claiming to favor moderation rings hollow when he's clearly demonstrated in the past that he doesn't like it. And I get the same kind of feeling from David. That he says he's in favor of it, but his responses to it have nearly always been hostile. So I really don't know where to go with what he say vs how he reacts to it. Coming from you, I have no reason to doubt your sincerity.

The first half of this seems to be saying something pretty different about your attitude toward me from the second. I'm afraid I don't understand what you mean.

Samson said:
As you pointed out, I was responding to that particular reply. Not to post 99.

I just tossed you not just an olive branch but a whole tree. The polite thing to do would have been to accept it, one way or the other. :smile:

Samson said:
You say something, I respond, then you reply back claiming that isn't what you said or meant.

Well, I have thought in the past that your attitude causes you to think I'm out to get you, and thereby completely misunderstand my intentions, that is true. I'm saddened that clarifying my intention is so terribly frustrating to you. I understand it might be confusing but in that case I suggest you try to believe me when I say for the n^th time that I'm not out to bash you, instead of casting so much of what I say in that light. But, err, in this case, what are you referring to?
27 Aug, 2008, Cratylus wrote in the 137th comment:
Samson wrote:
Well, it seems to me to be more of a credibility issue in this case. Coming from him, claiming to favor moderation rings hollow when he's clearly demonstrated in the past that he doesn't like it.

My significant other was vegetarian, and would sometimes
try to cook meat for me, without actually eating it, nor
having a "feel" for it.

I did not like it, usually.

But I like meat.

Let's try not to provoke each other, ok?
Really. "Credibility". Cmon, man.

-Crat
http://lpmuds.net
27 Aug, 2008, Kayle wrote in the 138th comment:
I have to say one thing…

My significant other was vegetarian, and would sometimes
try to cook meat for me, without actually eating it, nor
having a "feel" for it.

I did not like it, usually.

But I like meat.

What the fuck?! XD I fail to see the relevance to the thread but jesus that made me laugh out loud.
27 Aug, 2008, Guest wrote in the 139th comment:
DavidHaley said:
Samson said:
You say something, I respond, then you reply back claiming that isn't what you said or meant.

Well, I have thought in the past that your attitude causes you to think I'm out to get you, and thereby completely misunderstand my intentions, that is true. I'm saddened that clarifying my intention is so terribly frustrating to you. I understand it might be confusing but in that case I suggest you try to believe me when I say for the n^th time that I'm not out to bash you, instead of casting so much of what I say in that light. But, err, in this case, what are you referring to?

I think I'm referring to exactly this. It seems that for some reason you don't realize what your words said. My attempt to clarify it only resulted in further misunderstanding. As has been pointed out many times, text lacks emotion and body language to go with it. I can't go by anything more than what I see here. It literally reads to me like you make a statement, I disagree with it, you turn around and say that's not what you said/meant and provide an example that doesn't match. I can't really be more plain about it that that.
27 Aug, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 140th comment:
Why can't you just make life easier for everybody and tell me what statement I made that I reversed?
120.0/215