08 Aug, 2008, Zenn wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
Well. Seems Russia's gone and done it again – they've apparently invaded Georgia. Who apparently happens to have recently applied to become a member of NATO. What I'm sort of wondering is; what's going to happen if they're actually accepted into NATO? I don't know if the U.S. can handle a fight with Russia on that kind of scale. Iran would most certainly be a battleground, but who knows what side they'd be on? I worry that if Georgia becomes a member of NATO or if someone in NATO goes over there to help them, it's going to snowball into a bigger fight. But then again, it's not going to look very good if we DON'T help them.. but can we really handle another conflict? We're stretched fairly thin as it is.. Maybe we should just send some Special Forces teams in there, or some transports with some weaponry for the Georgians, like we did during the Cold War era. I highly doubt the peacekeepers are going to be able to do anything. Another question is: Why would Russia invade them? To get oil..?

Maybe they just felt like it.

Thoughts?
08 Aug, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 2nd comment:
An open US-Russia war is basically not going to happen, for very many reasons… I know the forum has been quiet of late, but I thought past experience might have taught by now that this kind of topic isn't necessarily the best. :rolleyes:
08 Aug, 2008, kiasyn wrote in the 3rd comment:
As peacekeepers apparently.
09 Aug, 2008, Hades_Kane wrote in the 4th comment:
A southern Georgia providence is very pro-Russia and have been trying to separate from Georgia and merge with a northern providence that is part of Russia.

Obviously, Georgia didn't like this and sent in their military to try to crack down on the separatists. Russia, in response, sent their own military to help the southern providence achieve the independence from Georgia they are seeking.

Messy situation really, but its not like it was a completely unprovoked thing such as the theory that they might be after oil.

After all, it's countries like Iraq and the United States that invades countries based on the desire for oil.
09 Aug, 2008, Guest wrote in the 5th comment:
After all, it's countries like Iraq and the United States that invades countries based on the desire for oil.

Statements like this are either vastly ignorant or intentional flamebait. Either way the result is the same and this isn't an appropriate topic. It's high time we put an end to dragging the politics out here, regardless of how much I'm sure we'd all like to play armchair general in Russia's affairs.
0.0/5