13 Jul, 2008, The_Fury wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
I have been playing with Fontlab for the last few days, specifically to design a set of glyphs to make the overland maps in my game look a whole lot better. I was wondering if anyone else might be interested in this or if anyone has any specific glyphs they would like to contribute to the font. I have used Lucinda Console for the text component, If anyone is interested i will extend it further and release it as public domain.

13 Jul, 2008, Vladaar wrote in the 2nd comment:
Fury,

Different fonts are cool for wilderness, but doesn't it require players to download the font and set it up with their mud clients?

Vladaar
13 Jul, 2008, The_Fury wrote in the 3rd comment:
Yes it does, im slowly working towards having a proprietary client for my game anyway which will use this font by default. People who choose to use another client can download the font and install it to have the same visuals, or they can use whatever font they like as i will provide a config option to use the font. To code in a config option will be a little work but it gives people the option of somewhat better visuals or the same old @#^~ that they currently see.

And with Nick allowing people to repackage up mushclient, set up to each muds own specs, it is really not that hard to drop in a font of choice and install it at the same time as mush. There are freeware installers out there that can deal with all the installs details, so end users dont have to think, its just there and configured already.

Actually on that subject, what Nick and the guys from Aardwolf are currently doing is pretty cool with all the plugin features being developed that other games like yours and mine can modify and use.
13 Jul, 2008, Guest wrote in the 4th comment:
The new font is cool and all, and heck, I'd play around with it just for the neatness factor. If it had been based on the Terminal font instead. I can't count how many times I've tried out varying fonts, always to end up coming back to the clean, clear look of the Terminal font.
13 Jul, 2008, The_Fury wrote in the 5th comment:
I don't have that font on my system, as long as its a True Type or Open Type i can open it and cut the text out and replace the Lucinda Console that i used. Just email it to me and ill have it done in no time at all. After dinner i will document the unicode values that have been used so locating the correct glyph is easy to find.
13 Jul, 2008, Guest wrote in the 6th comment:
That's just it. Terminal isn't either one of those. It seems to be a rather basic system font that exists in some kind of oddball form. You won't find it in your fonts folder, but Mushclient should offer it as a choice. I know SimpleMU does.
13 Jul, 2008, The_Fury wrote in the 7th comment:
Ohhh i found it now, man thats ugly as. LOL, I guess it all comes down to what you get used to. Yeah i think system might be a bitmap font, which is hopeless because you cannot convert them to TTF. Anyways i have just found out that i have a few rendering issues in Mushclient and need to do some fiddeling to get the font to render correct. It seems to render right in portal, im going to download a whole bunch of clients now and do some testing to make sure it works as right as can be expected.

There is a couple of screen caps showing the progress so far, I can tell you that its not really easy to design glyphs that look nice, some of these are on there 4 and 5 edit. HEHE, I have a new found respect for those who spend thier time developing TTF fonts, this is not something that is easy at all.
13 Jul, 2008, Guest wrote in the 8th comment:
No, I wasn't talking about "system" either. That's a different font. It's definitely called "Terminal" and it's not ugly at all. At least not to me :)
It's the font used in these screens: http://www.smaugmuds.org/index.php?a=pag... on the overland.
13 Jul, 2008, Davion wrote in the 9th comment:
I think the type of font is irrelevant. Samson is saying that monospacing (all letters have the same width/height) fonts are ftw. I agree. Varying width fonts tend to have issues with ascii art.
13 Jul, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 10th comment:
Big fan of DejaVu Sans Mono, myself (DejaVu is a successor of the Bitstream Vera family). And it's completely free/"open source" so you can use it without any worry of legal infringement (which might not be the case with Lucida Console, for example). I used to be a fan of Anonymous but stopped using it (it displays tildes in strange ways at smallish font sizes – makes them look like minuses, which is terrible for programming). I'm not sure what Anonymous's license is, although it is free to download.
13 Jul, 2008, The_Fury wrote in the 11th comment:
Ok, yes, i tryed terminal now and its not bad to look at at all. I did a bit of a look into freeware monspace fonts last night and have downloaded a whole bunch of them that i will test out later to see if i can find one that is similar to terminal. Another thing i noticed was that i had too much space above and below each row of text, which made large view maps scroll over the page. With a bit more tinkering i should be able to get something that works and looks much better.
13 Jul, 2008, Guest wrote in the 12th comment:
Davion said:
I think the type of font is irrelevant. Samson is saying that monospacing (all letters have the same width/height) fonts are ftw. I agree. Varying width fonts tend to have issues with ascii art.

Ah, no, I was in fact saying ( pretty clearly I thought ) that I prefer Terminal over all others. Not that I prefer any old monospace fixed width font. I find most fonts to be pretty hideous as far as their style goes. Fixed width or otherwise. People seem to be in love with Courier for example and I think it's an ugly pile of crap.

I've only ever seen one font in linux that was close enough to Terminal to be useable but I don't remember what it was called. I used it in Kmuddy for awhile before linux soured on me.
14 Jul, 2008, The_Fury wrote in the 13th comment:
Ok, the typeface is now based on an public domain monospace font similar to fixedsys. It was IMO the best of the bad bunch that i could find. If anyone is able to find a typeface they prefer to this one, i would be happy to add the overland glyphs to that typeface and make any corrections needed to make sure that they render right.

Here are a couple of screen shots of the new font in action. And there is a download link to the font at the end of this post.

The link to download the font is here: Download Fury Font. The download contains the TTF font and a jpg of the glyphs showing the hex values for each. To use extended ascii in your programs you enter escape code followed by the hex code, IE: \xA1. This font is public domain, i require nothing for its use, if anyone has a glyph they would like added, send it to me and i will add it in.
14 Jul, 2008, Conner wrote in the 14th comment:
In linux, I find that I like three fonts (Bitstream Vera Sans Mono, DejaVu Sans Mono, & Monospace) for most things and in Windows I agree that Terminal is the nicest for mudding, though for other stuff I like Tahoma and some lovely script style fonts… To each his own, eh?
14 Jul, 2008, The_Fury wrote in the 15th comment:
Just updated the Zip file as there were a few things that did not render correctly. I will likely make some more changes to this as i find things that are looking wrong or that i wish to improve. I dropped my mobs back onto the map, here is a screenie of how it looks now.

02 Jun, 2010, Scandum wrote in the 16th comment:
Anyone got a copy of Fury's font?
03 Jun, 2010, JohnnyStarr wrote in the 17th comment:
I do, if you want I can upload it or email it too you.
03 Jun, 2010, Asylumius wrote in the 18th comment:
Assuming you have the right, go ahead and upload it. We have a file repository here at MB! :)
03 Jun, 2010, Davion wrote in the 19th comment:
Asylumius said:
Assuming you have the right, go ahead and upload it. We have a file repository here at MB! :)

You can also attach files to posts!
03 Jun, 2010, Scandum wrote in the 20th comment:
Fury said it's public domain, so should be alright to upload it to the repository.

The_Fury said:
This font is public domain, i require nothing for its use
0.0/22