11 Mar, 2008, Asylumius wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
Back "in the day" I used to play a lot of Diablo and Diablo II. I really liked the style of play and even today, prefer it to games like WoW and some of the other bigger, badder, prettier MMORPGs.

Do any of you guys have any recommendations for graphical RPGs that run NATIVELY in Linux? I'm looking for something with a Diablo-esq "feel" that will run natively under Linux on pretty new hardware. Multiplayer would be good. Something that's actively being supported / patched / monitored would be good too, versus defunct projects.

Wine doesn't interested me, and nor do any of the other solutions for playing Windows games on Linux. I realize that's an option, but I'll pass.
11 Mar, 2008, Guest wrote in the 2nd comment:
Ah, too bad. I would have highly recommended the Elder Scrolls series even though it's not the same style of view. :)

I'm afraid I don't know of anything that runs natively in linux.
11 Mar, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 3rd comment:
There are relatively few complete graphical games that run natively in Linux. It is one of the major shortcomings of the platform IMO. (Well, I wouldn't say it's the platform's "fault" in any way, it just is a fact of the market. Same can be said about Macs to some extent.) I think most people just use Wine.

There are several engines and so forth that run on Linux but I'm not sure how many have been turned into complete games. I have found that many are more interested in the technology behind the engine than in the finished game.
11 Mar, 2008, Mabus wrote in the 4th comment:
DavidHaley said:
I have found that many are more interested in the technology behind the engine than in the finished game.

I admit, I fall into the category on graphical games. Been waiting on the release of Havok. I want to see what little things I can create with it.
11 Mar, 2008, Asylumius wrote in the 5th comment:
For the most part, I far prefer Console gaming to the PC. I've got quite a few hours into Oblivion for the XBox, but even with the downloadable content it gets stale after a while, and unlike the PC version, there's no modding it.

EDIT: Fixed my typo.
11 Mar, 2008, Noplex wrote in the 6th comment:
Asylumius said:
For the most part, I far prefer Console gaming to the PC. I've got quite a few hours into Oblivion for the XBox, but even with the downloadable content it gets stale after a while, and like the PC version, there's no modding it.

No, but if you are willing to spend $100 you can get a license to develop content with XNA on both the PC and the Xbox 360 (also, I believe, allows you to play other people's games). One of the limitations, at least the last time I looked at it, was that you were only allowed to use C#. Which for me isn't a real bad thing. C# 2.0 is essentially Java 1.6 - and I haven't even been able to work with C# 3.0 yet. There isn't much of a learning curve to learn it. That's not an immediate reason not to take advantage of it, but from what I hear it takes an actual real high quality game to get it sold on LIVE (e.g. they don't just accept anyone's games). If I had the time I'd purchase the license and try my hand at it, maybe in the future, but its something to think about.

I own a license to the Torque engine (the game engine that ran Tribes 2, and Tribes Aerial Assault on the PS2). The nice thing about it is that it has a fully customizable GUI editor, scripting engine and importers already written for nearly every single texture/model program out there. They even have a nice 2D component that allows you to rapid development those types of games. Torque runs on Windows, Linux, Mac and the PS2. Again, time is the factor, and the fact that I am not an artist. Heh, but maybe I can produce something in the future once I am finally out of college. Personally, I would target my mini-games at the PC using the Xbox 360 controller and/or XNA. I wrote a wrapper a couple of years ago for the 360 controller. It works quite nice and is easy to work with (uses DirectInput).
11 Mar, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 7th comment:
Asylumius said:
I've got quite a few hours into Oblivion for the XBox, but even with the downloadable content it gets stale after a while, and like the PC version, there's no modding it.

You mean "unlike" the PC version, right? There is a thriving mod community for Oblivion on the PC. (Morrowind too for that matter.) In fact, Bethesda released the Construction Set themselves to make it easier.
11 Mar, 2008, Asylumius wrote in the 8th comment:
DavidHaley said:
Asylumius said:
I've got quite a few hours into Oblivion for the XBox, but even with the downloadable content it gets stale after a while, and like the PC version, there's no modding it.

You mean "unlike" the PC version, right? There is a thriving mod community for Oblivion on the PC. (Morrowind too for that matter.) In fact, Bethesda released the Construction Set themselves to make it easier.

Yeah, I meant unlike. I've played with the mod tools for the PC version.
11 Mar, 2008, Asylumius wrote in the 9th comment:
Noplex said:
Asylumius said:
For the most part, I far prefer Console gaming to the PC. I've got quite a few hours into Oblivion for the XBox, but even with the downloadable content it gets stale after a while, and like the PC version, there's no modding it.

No, but if you are willing to spend $100 you can get a license to develop content with XNA on both the PC and the Xbox 360 (also, I believe, allows you to play other people's games). One of the limitations, at least the last time I looked at it, was that you were only allowed to use C#. Which for me isn't a real bad thing. C# 2.0 is essentially Java 1.6 - and I haven't even been able to work with C# 3.0 yet. There isn't much of a learning curve to learn it. That's not an immediate reason not to take advantage of it, but from what I hear it takes an actual real high quality game to get it sold on LIVE (e.g. they don't just accept anyone's games). If I had the time I'd purchase the license and try my hand at it, maybe in the future, but its something to think about.

I own a license to the Torque engine (the game engine that ran Tribes 2, and Tribes Aerial Assault on the PS2). The nice thing about it is that it has a fully customizable GUI editor, scripting engine and importers already written for nearly every single texture/model program out there. They even have a nice 2D component that allows you to rapid development those types of games. Torque runs on Windows, Linux, Mac and the PS2. Again, time is the factor, and the fact that I am not an artist. Heh, but maybe I can produce something in the future once I am finally out of college. Personally, I would target my mini-games at the PC using the Xbox 360 controller and/or XNA. I wrote a wrapper a couple of years ago for the 360 controller. It works quite nice and is easy to work with (uses DirectInput).

The XNA looked interesting. I heard about it when it first came out. Unfortunately, I don't own a copy of Windows and am not really interested in working on Windows or with .NET.

When it first came out I think I remember reading that the maximum size was 50MB for a playable game, but I could be wrong and/or that could have changed. If so, that would limit one to creating basic arcade games.
11 Mar, 2008, Noplex wrote in the 10th comment:
Asylumius said:
The XNA looked interesting. I heard about it when it first came out. Unfortunately, I don't own a copy of Windows and am not really interested in working on Windows or with .NET.
When it first came out I think I remember reading that the maximum size was 50MB for a playable game, but I could be wrong and/or that could have changed. If so, that would limit one to creating basic arcade games.

http://forums.xna.com/ShowThread.aspx?Po...

Ah, not having the Windows computer would be a problem. But I'm not sure why everyone has beef with .NET, kicks the socks off Java in terms of the ability to code in several languages (Sun is just now trying to add different Virtual Machines into the JVM) and is somewhat cross platform with Mono and Silverlight. To each his own, though.

That's a basic FAQ that explains some information. As far as I can tell they lifted the 50MB limit, because it says nothing about it on there. I was also wrong: anyone that has an Xbox LIVE account can play the XNA games that other members create (after they have been peer-reviewed it seems). Its a pretty nice deal, because you can develop on Windows and when you want to port it over to the 360 all you need to do is buy the license. I suppose as long as you use the XNA CLI it'll work, or at least, easily work over on the 360.
12 Mar, 2008, Zenn wrote in the 11th comment:
http://www.spiderwebsoftware.com/genefor...

Not native for Linux, but the Geneforge Series (Geneforge 1 - 4) is one of the best graphical RPGs of all time.

Has a -ton- of replay value, and my favorites are Geneforge 2 and 3.
Seriously.

The Demo is huge, 1/4 of the full game, in all the games in the series. It's a really good value if you actually buy it though.. I'm serious, this is one of my favorite games of all time. Really good RPG, too. Everything you do affects the future of the game. What you say affects how people think of you, and your reputation gets around..

It also runs on Macs.

"You are an apprentice Shaper. You are being given the power to create life and mold it to serve your own needs. The whole world fears and respects the Shapers. Your secrets are many, and your power is absolute.

If you need a servant, you have but to create it, and it will gladly die for you.

But when you and your teacher are sent on what seems to be a simple mission, things go horribly wrong. Monsters roam the countryside. Your allies turn on you. Your teacher disappears. And you find yourself in the middle of a conspiracy to use forbidden powers and overthrow Shaper rule.

Many factions want your help. All have their own rewards to offer. Will you stay loyal to your people? Or will you fight to remake the world?

Geneforge 2 has a huge and open storyline. You can join with any of several factions and reach dozens of different endings. Help the rebels, or fight them. Fight your enemies, or use stealth and diplomacy. When you finish the game, start over, join a different group, and experience a completely different game. No matter what you choose, Geneforge 2 offers an enormous adventure with plenty of replay value."

Even though you said you didn't want to do any windows games, I think this is worth it.
12 Mar, 2008, Asylumius wrote in the 12th comment:
There are plenty of Windows games I'd play if I had Windows, but I don't feel like spending the money on a copy and going through the trouble of installing and maintaining it just for games. I do have a Macbook, but I don't really like the idea of gaming from a Laptop.
13 Mar, 2008, syn wrote in the 13th comment:
Then it looks like your pretty much sol on gaming.
13 Mar, 2008, Asylumius wrote in the 14th comment:
I've always got my Xbox, but it's short on decent RPGs. I have found some interesting possibilities though, so we'll see.
14 Mar, 2008, Zenn wrote in the 15th comment:
It's perfectly fine to play the Geneforge series from a laptop. They're great games, good replay value in all of them (particularly 2, as there are a ton of different factions and fifty billion paths you can take in each faction..)

I play it on my laptop all the time. It's really, imo, worth the 15-25 bucks, can't remember the exact price. But if you're gonna get one of them, get Geneforge 2. It's my favorite out of all of them.
14 Mar, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 16th comment:
It's $25 for Geneforge 1, 2, 3 each, or $55 for all three. There's also a Geneforge 4 for $28. Never heard of these games before now. Interesting to see that they have relatively simple graphics yet complex game play. I wonder why the games aren't more well-known. Gamespot has a listing for them, but nothing beyond a listing and user votes; they don't even have a review. (They link to other review sites, though.)
14 Mar, 2008, Zenn wrote in the 17th comment:
It's really almost like a story. I had to, quite literally, stay up all night playing when I found Geneforge 2. Fairly challenging (unless you use cheats..).
07 Apr, 2008, Madiku wrote in the 18th comment:
You know there is a game called Tibia, it's Graphical yes, still kind of 2d, decently sized world, and they have a Linux section in their client downloads. I used to play, its decently entertaining, but not all big and bad such as any MMORPG's like FFXI, or WoW. If you happen to go there, try to choose a low populated server, because when it's populated you have to sit in a waiting like for about 8 minutes upon logging in. You can google it, not hard to find.
09 Apr, 2008, Kjwah wrote in the 19th comment:
Asylumius said:
Back "in the day" I used to play a lot of Diablo and Diablo II. I really liked the style of play and even today, prefer it to games like WoW and some of the other bigger, badder, prettier MMORPGs.

Do any of you guys have any recommendations for graphical RPGs that run NATIVELY in Linux? I'm looking for something with a Diablo-esq "feel" that will run natively under Linux on pretty new hardware. Multiplayer would be good. Something that's actively being supported / patched / monitored would be good too, versus defunct projects.

Wine doesn't interested me, and nor do any of the other solutions for playing Windows games on Linux. I realize that's an option, but I'll pass.

http://themanaworld.org/

It's a 2D MMORPG that's both open source and runs natively on Linux. :D
22 Oct, 2008, Zenn wrote in the 20th comment:
(Sorry for the thread necromancy, it was easier than making a new one)

http://www.spiderwebsoftware.com/genefor...

They've been dangling this one over my head forever.

:sad:

WHY MAC FIRST!?!?!?!!! =(

At this point.. does anybody know of an emulator that lets me run Mac programs on Windows?
0.0/32