06 Jan, 2008, syn wrote in the 21st comment:
Votes: 0
You could always add log strings whenever someone is loaded, or saved to output the value of their recall or whatever to a txt file or some such. At least that should tell ya if its a load or save issue.

Also there are some ram testers out there, basically you just let the computer run the program and after X hours or so it will go through and let you know if you have bad ram or not.

Hope thats helpful.
07 Jan, 2008, kiasyn wrote in the 22nd comment:
07 Jan, 2008, Kline wrote in the 23rd comment:
I've ran memtest quite a few times in the past :) Won't be able to get around to it for about a month until I'm back home with my machine, though :(. So all I can do till then is try and patch holes where I find them.
12 Jan, 2008, Guest wrote in the 24th comment:
DavidHaley said:
Incidentally, my copy of SMAUG has some of those free list thingies lying around, although that could be a vestige of it being from SMAUG 1.0 originally…

Really? What files are those located in? I'd like to see them if only for the historical curiosity since I can't find them in the copy of Smaug 1.0 I downloaded :)
13 Jan, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 25th comment:
Samson said:
Really? What files are those located in? I'd like to see them if only for the historical curiosity since I can't find them in the copy of Smaug 1.0 I downloaded :)

I think I misspoke… looking at what I have in my code, it's just the extracted obj and char queues. It seems that effects in particular are destroyed as soon as they're removed. I was thinking of the wrong kind of objects-to-free list. :redface:
13 Jan, 2008, syn wrote in the 26th comment:
I know im kinda derailing a bit here, but I havent really had a chance to use valgrind much. Anyone have a good tutorial or something I could look at to get started with?

As a note, I found a tutorial that is half decent, however I cannot seem to get the mud to actually run with valgrind.

I get it started using something like valgrind –tool=memcheck –leak-check=yes –track-fds=yes -v ./startup

and it gets to a certain point and stops, you cannot connect, if I use ./startup & it just shows the mud going to sleep.

What am I doin wrong here guys?
13 Jan, 2008, Kline wrote in the 27th comment:
–tool=memcheck –error-limit=no –memcheck:leak-check=full –memcheck:show-reachable=yes –log-file=valgrind

Thats what I keep in my ~/.valgrindrc file

To boot a game inside it, go to your area dir then
valgrind ../src/executable port#

Valgrind won't handle forking (as far as my experience) so trying to run it through a startup script, or if you copyover/hotboot, Valgrind will drop the process.

http://www.cprogramming.com/debugging/va... gives a very good crash course in using Valgrind and explaining how to interpret some of the errors it will spit out at you. Good luck!
13 Jan, 2008, syn wrote in the 28th comment:
ok that makes sense, i didnt think itd be like GDB that way.
13 Jan, 2008, syn wrote in the 29th comment:
well the first part at least worked for showing me some good leaks to take a look at, but i still cant get it to actually run by using the executable and port. Weird. I know it boots fine with the script and whatnot so that shouldnt be the problem (being able to actually start)..

Weird.
13 Jan, 2008, syn wrote in the 30th comment:
wow i must be really tired.. I didnt notice the 'area0.are no such file or directory'

lol im an idiot.
24 Jan, 2008, Kline wrote in the 31st comment:
Still trying to improve some of my game, but can anybody shed light on pmap vs mallinfo() for me?

I've been googling quite a bit but can't understand why the private/shared memory usage reported in the shell from pmap <pid> differs by a few megs from both mallinfo.arena and mallinfo.uordblks. Does anybody have experience with any of this?
20.0/31