10 Jun, 2014, Hades_Kane wrote in the 21st comment:
Votes: 0
You might consider checking out the version of ROM called "RaM", which was a collaborative effort by many of the users to to update, bug fix, and get ROM working to compile cleanly.
10 Jun, 2014, Nathan wrote in the 22nd comment:
The 'G++ Clean Rom24b6' download from mudbytes seemed to compile okay and run, although it spit about a bunch of "… warning: deprecated conversion from string constant to `char *' messages. Those are, I'm guessing, related to using a newish gcc.

RaM files on mudbytes code repository -> http://www.mudbytes.net/index.php?a=file...
12 Jun, 2014, Randy Stadham wrote in the 23rd comment:
Thanks I will try that one.

Hades_Kane said:
You might consider checking out the version of ROM called "RaM", which was a collaborative effort by many of the users to to update, bug fix, and get ROM working to compile cleanly.
12 Jun, 2014, Randy Stadham wrote in the 24th comment:
Thanks for the link I will give it a try.

Nathan said:
The 'G++ Clean Rom24b6' download from mudbytes seemed to compile okay and run, although it spit about a bunch of "… warning: deprecated conversion from string constant to `char *' messages. Those are, I'm guessing, related to using a newish gcc.

RaM files on mudbytes code repository -> http://www.mudbytes.net/index.php?a=file...
13 Jun, 2014, Randy Stadham wrote in the 25th comment:
After installing RaM I get this:
[root@vps src]# make
make: `ram' is up to date.
then unable to startup &

Any help would be great.

thanks,
14 Jun, 2014, Davion wrote in the 26th comment:
What does it say when it starts up? The startup is just a script. You can always run it manually by entering the area directory and typing "../src/ram 4444 &" 4444 being your desired port number.

Edit: Keep in mind this pipes all the debug data to your terminal as you'll soon find out ;)
15 Jun, 2014, Nathan wrote in the 27th comment:
If it helps, when I tried running the rom version I mentioned before I had to go to the areas/ folder to find the startup script. I don't know if that holds true, but it's possible the script is somewhere else that you aren't actually in the directory for and because none of the mud server's directories are in your path variable the system won't go looking through there for it either.
16 Jun, 2014, Hades_Kane wrote in the 28th comment:
I don't know if it would be applicable, but from the area folder, I do:

nohup ./startup &
18 Jun, 2014, Randy Stadham wrote in the 29th comment:
Thanks so much that did work!!!!

Davion said:
What does it say when it starts up? The startup is just a script. You can always run it manually by entering the area directory and typing "../src/ram 4444 &" 4444 being your desired port number.

Edit: Keep in mind this pipes all the debug data to your terminal as you'll soon find out ;)
18 Jun, 2014, Randy Stadham wrote in the 30th comment:
Thanks got it to work!!!

Nathan said:
If it helps, when I tried running the rom version I mentioned before I had to go to the areas/ folder to find the startup script. I don't know if that holds true, but it's possible the script is somewhere else that you aren't actually in the directory for and because none of the mud server's directories are in your path variable the system won't go looking through there for it either.
18 Jun, 2014, Randy Stadham wrote in the 31st comment:
thanks I got it to work. Seems like a great MUD for my classes. I hope they like it.

Hades_Kane said:
I don't know if it would be applicable, but from the area folder, I do:

nohup ./startup &
18 Jun, 2014, Hades_Kane wrote in the 32nd comment:
Keep us updated throughout the year if you would :)
19 Jun, 2014, Randy Stadham wrote in the 33rd comment:
I will be happy to. Getting a 10 room world set up now.

Hades_Kane said:
Keep us updated throughout the year if you would :)
20.0/33