07 Jan, 2014, skinnybb wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
First off, I don't know if this is the correct place to post this. So if it isn't, point me to the correct place and I'll post it there.

I've played Dragonrealms off and on since back when it was on AOL. I always enjoyed the fact that your character can learn to do most anything and that the skills were improved by using them. I'm just having trouble justifying $15/month for this game now. So I was hoping that someone knew of a MUD that worked similarly. I just don't want to feel like I have to plan out how I spend every skill point/lesson that I get and if I change my mind I feel like they've been wasted. The setting isn't as important as how you develop your character.
07 Jan, 2014, KaVir wrote in the 2nd comment:
The only MUD I know of that's like DragonRealms is GemStone IV, but that doesn't really help.

My MUD fits the requirements you've listed (completely free, skills improve through use, you can heavily customise your character and freely respec whenever you please) - and like DragonRealms, it also has a manual combat system (most MUDs have automated combat). But other than that it's very different, it has no roleplaying, the playerbase is far smaller, etc.

If you want a big playerbase like DragonRealms then your best bet would be to work your way down the list at MUDStats. Quite a few of the bigger MUDs are pay-for-perks, but IIRC only the Simutronics, Skotos and Avalon ones are still pay-to-play.
07 Jan, 2014, alteraeon wrote in the 3rd comment:
You might want to try out Alter Aeon. The way the skill and class system is set up, you can learn nearly everything over time, and it's virtually impossible to screw your character up in a way that can't be fixed. At higher levels players can buy practices directly with experience, so with enough time and effort you can train all your stats to max and learn every spell and skill that's unlocked to you.

However, it's not going to be the same game as DR. It's not RP, for starters. The combat system is largely automatic, but in general you'll need to use your spells and skills to do anything more than defend yourself. We've also only got about a third of the players that DR has, averaging around 80 instead of the 250 you're used to.

If you decide to check it out, we'd be happy to have you. Good luck in your search!
0.0/3