12 Sep, 2013, Chris Bailey wrote in the 41st comment:
Votes: 0
I've been handling this issue in a pretty simple way. I've decreased the amount of inventory slots so that they can be manipulated through menus. It is pretty straightforward to list each carried object along with an assigned number between 1 and 5. Additional inventory slots (to a maximum of 10) can be purchased though. =)
12 Sep, 2013, plamzi wrote in the 42nd comment:
Tyche said:
BTW it would not have mattered what I typed, because you put me in some sort of paging mode, yet you sent me a menu prompt. I went back and tried it.

I believe this is the first piece of constructive criticism I've gotten from you in all the time we've interacted–thanks! The paging issue is fixed. I wouldn't have caught it for ages.

Tyche said:
I believe you called it troll fodder.

What would you call a long offtopic post in which I show a series of screenshots of http://teensymud.kicks-ass.org, and then in one vague statement I insinuate that I have a low opinion of it, then further insinuate that things you did that I haven't even experienced are most likely "turd", and all that without bothering to provide any specifics? Maybe your intentions are good, but they certainly don't come across that way. I suggest working on your people skills.

Also, on your website. I would start with conveying to the user what the "create" field at the bottom of the page does exactly. It seems like it shouldn't even be there on the homepage if someone needs to register or login first before they can use it.
15 Sep, 2013, Tyche wrote in the 43rd comment:
Chris Bailey said:
I've been handling this issue in a pretty simple way. I've decreased the amount of inventory slots so that they can be manipulated through menus. It is pretty straightforward to list each carried object along with an assigned number between 1 and 5. Additional inventory slots (to a maximum of 10) can be purchased though. =)

What I did was create a command called 'pack'. It accepts any number of item arguments and ignores those that don't exist.

> open the bag
You open the duffle bag.
> look in bag
The duffle bag contains:
a long sword
a short sword
a crystal vial
a torch

> pack bag torch, vial
The duffle bag contains:
a torch
a crystal vial
a long sword
a short sword

> pack bag 2nd sword, axe, first sword
The duffle bag contains:
a short sword
a long sword
a torch
a crystal vial

Maybe it's hard to get used too. But it do handle the original positions of ambiguous items.

—————————————————————————

TeensyMud does have a way to actually play 'guess the verb' and get some feedback.
Commands are stored in a trie and an array of shortest verb matches is returned,
so by typing a letter you can display all the commands that begin with it.

> i
Which did you mean, 'inventory' or 'inspect'?
> in
Which did you mean, 'inventory' or 'inspect'?
> inv
You are carrying:
a torch
15 Sep, 2013, Tyche wrote in the 44th comment:
plamzi said:
I believe this is the first piece of constructive criticism I've gotten from you in all the time we've interacted–thanks! The paging issue is fixed. I wouldn't have caught it for ages.

Well I don't do constructive criticism, just regular criticism. It'd be different if you were a client.
If you want to 'convert' people into logging into that game, you really ought to provide them with some meaningful help when they try to create a character.

plamzi said:
Tyche said:
I believe you called it troll fodder.

What would you call a long offtopic post in which I show a series of screenshots of http://teensymud.kicks-ass.org, and then in one vague statement I insinuate that I have a low opinion of it, then further insinuate that things you did that I haven't even experienced are most likely "turd", and all that without bothering to provide any specifics?
Maybe your intentions are good, but they certainly don't come across that way. I suggest working on your people skills.

It was very much an on-topic response to the comments in your post (antagonistic ones). I clearly denoted several specific problems. Maybe if you had read the response log, instead of claiming I hadn't typed 'h', you'd have saved both our time. Your emotional reaction was illuminating. You might want to work on that. A google search will call up some excellent resources on dealing with criticism.

plamzi said:
Also, on your website. I would start with conveying to the user what the "create" field at the bottom of the page does exactly. It seems like it shouldn't even be there on the homepage if someone needs to register or login first before they can use it.

There's a link in the sidebar for help HowToUseThisSite which contains a link that explains what it does. Actually when you are logged in different action links/buttons show up and some appropriately disappear. However, as you noticed, WikiLinks/buttons to create/edit pages are always present, as well as the reply/new-topic links in the forum sections. That's intentional. For a Wiki or Forum, you WANT the user to know they can create content at the point they might have the URGE to create content. You don't want to send them to a page that gives them an error message, you encourage them to sign in. Nor would I present an unfriendly, "The administrator has disabled public write access." instead of working reply links.
40.0/44