24 Aug, 2013, Scandum wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
An interesting setting for a game would be North Korea with a simulated totalitarian government which the players are to oppose, or support.

Would such a genre be of interest to the average player?

What would be of particular interest would be the ability for players to be recruited into the secret service to create an atmosphere of distrust. Some players could choose to become part of the resistance and get access to wealth smuggled across from South Korea, but this poses certain risks.

Some kind of mini games would need to be introduced so people can choose to not to engage in politics but enjoy an assortment of hilarious plan economic activities. Sporadic wars could be introduced, and mass events where people are forced to cry, and the usage of smiley faces or happy socials can carry the death penalty. The player who cries the least might be executed as well. The game could only count socials performed in the presence of secret agents.

This would add an arbitrary atmosphere of oppression that normally is only created by abusive admins, except that it would have to be fully automated. Alternatively totalitarian rule by the Third Reich would be an option. People might object to having to salute and insult inferior races at regular intervals, though this would serve better as an atmosphere where players are likely to resist the totalitarian government than the North Korea setting where expressing belief in inequality would carry the death penalty.
24 Aug, 2013, Ssolvarain wrote in the 2nd comment:
The only minigame needed is Starcraft.
24 Aug, 2013, Idealiad wrote in the 3rd comment:
I don't know about the average player, but I admit I'd find it fun. I always liked the Paranoia RPG. One major problem with any kind of authoritarian genre would be OOC/IC information sharing though – or maybe not, but if you celebrate that sort of thing you might end up with a toxic OOC environment rather quickly. If that's your goal though then more power to you ;).
24 Aug, 2013, Scandum wrote in the 4th comment:
I have no experience with IC/OOC conflicts. It would probably be best to hard code most of this behavior. The game administration would have to remain partially blind as they would perform the function of 'big brother', meaning that if a secret agent accuses someone of a crime that person will have to prove it to some extent. Listening devices, video cameras, and phone taps would have to be coded into place. Some players may want to play the mini-game of spying on other players, and if they detect that a secret agent is a defector he would have to present evidence to the administration who would play the role of the leadership.

An interesting concept would be to eventually let long term players ascend to the position of leadership. War can be declared from time to time to distract players from politics and engage in total war with the enemy.

Secret agents would be encouraged to pursue defection as the killing of highly ranked secret agents could be considered beneficial to criminals. OOC communication would be a problem as it would allow communication that cannot be monitored. The staff can deal harshly with players who disobey this rule however, which can be detected by observers who see erratic and unexplainable behavior. This can be handled IC by making telepathy illegal and punishable by death. So players who act as if they have telepathic ability (OOC communication) would be killed. The fear of being accused of telepathy would subsequently limit the extent to which OOC communication would be abused.
25 Aug, 2013, Rarva.Riendf wrote in the 5th comment:
>This can be handled IC by making telepathy illegal and punishable by death.

How do yo udeal with people using other communication channel than the mud.
How do you deal with multi account people?
25 Aug, 2013, Scandum wrote in the 6th comment:
said:
How do yo udeal with people using other communication channel than the mud.

This is accepted as the game understands the concept of telepathy, which cannot be intercepted by the authorities. However, everyone acting suspicious will be sentenced to death. So players are expected to use OOC communication, and they are expected to expect to be punished for it.

said:
How do you deal with multi account people?

This is another problem, but anti-telepathy laws will solve this to some degree. Some people are expected to be spies, this will add to the general atmosphere of fear and oppression. Public executions would be dramatic, and people will be forced to confess their crimes. Some criminals may be allowed to save themselves if they rat out other criminals (by wearing a snooping device), and given a new identity if they succeed.
26 Aug, 2013, Rarva.Riendf wrote in the 7th comment:
Problem is I do not see how this could work without fear. How do you generate it? Loss of your life works well in real life, but in a game ? Only thing you invest is time. That would mean a slow progression, not so sure that would appeal to players.
Made me think about Brazil (the movie) as well, would be a fun setting.
26 Aug, 2013, Scandum wrote in the 8th comment:
Rarva.Riendf said:
Problem is I do not see how this could work without fear. How do you generate it? Loss of your life works well in real life, but in a game ? Only thing you invest is time. That would mean a slow progression, not so sure that would appeal to players.
Made me think about Brazil (the movie) as well, would be a fun setting.

It could be a similar setting to Brazil, though torture is obviously something that is not an option, though players could be pressured in other ways.

Very little force is needed to make most people fearful, and loss of a character would mean loss of friends because of anti-telepathy laws. Progression would be slow in the social realm as people would likely be untrusting.
26 Aug, 2013, Rarva.Riendf wrote in the 9th comment:
>though torture is obviously something that is not an option,

Huh ? Why ? I imagine you could torture someone up to a point where certain command or area could be 'disabled' for the player, as he woud become terrified to use then when/if he gets free.
With minigame while he is tortured to succeed to keep his mind sane :)
0.0/9