19 Aug, 2013, llewelyn5749 wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
Not sure if I'm posting in the right category.. move if needed plz.

Howdy! I've been a mudder/builder for many years. My coding knowledge is super slim (ok, nonexistent). I want to host a raw version of Envy 2.0. I looked at thirdhosting.com, and may go w/ them. I have my code base .tgz file. Can someone give me a step-by-step process on what to do now? I know this sounds super noobish, but we all have to start somewhere. And I can't find much information on how to do this part. Most info I see is server requirements on hosting it on your own computer.

Thanks in advance guys.
22 Aug, 2013, Natilena wrote in the 2nd comment:
This is general but probably has a few good pointers for you. http://snible.org/mud/mudstart.html

For more basic problems try searching google for "how to open .tgz in X operating system"

I code but have never had to install from scratch so don't have much more to suggest.
05 Feb, 2014, Orb wrote in the 3rd comment:
.tgz (tar) is usually used on *nix like systems as a file compression method. (akin to .zip) In short you could look at something like 'tar -xvf' from the command line to extract it.

If you are not on a *nix system I think 7zip may do it. For more info you can just google 'howto extract tar/(tgz) file', tar is incredibly versatile so the switched I noted above are just the very basics.
0.0/3