11 May, 2013, Robindude wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
I'm on Windows 7, and have TinyMUX up and running, yay! (That only took four hours, not to mention a bunch of false starts with other code-bases that didn't work out.)

I want to restrict… well, pretty much everything in the game to wizard only. @desc, creating attributes, creating anything, using functions, changing flags, etc… only Wizards and, more importantly, wizard created objects should be able to do any of this. The config file (started as netmux.conf but I changed the name of course), has at least two lines that read 'access X wizard' with X being something restricted to wizards (+shelp and wizhelp, specifically). I added a line that read 'access @desc Wizard' in the file and restarted. Unlike the other two, however, this doesn't seem to stop players from logging in and using @desc. I could create a text file and every time I boot up the server go in and manually do '@admin access=X Wizard' but given what I want to cut out is pretty much everything… well I'd rather the config file handle it, if that's possible. So am I doing something wrong? Is there a way to shut off all those commands and prevent players from setting all that stuff?

P.S. If you're thinking I should try a MUD instead of a MUX… well, I know some MUX coding, no MUD coding, and my attempts to get any MUD codebase to run on Windows 7 (native or through Cygwin) has met with utter frustration. I've at least managed to get TinyMUX working (and PennMUSH before that, but I couldn't find 24bit color support for it and I need that, so I'm on TinyMUX now), so I'm extremely unlikely to go to a different codebase.
11 May, 2013, Idealiad wrote in the 2nd comment:
Votes: 0
You have a few options.

Use access and this, http://wiki.tinymux.org/index.php/Attr_c... , or @hooks, in your conf or on a @startup.

Note that with access commands you need to abide by the permission possibilities. Do a wizhelp for permissions.

Run a different codebase in a virtual machine, using VirtualBox or similar.

Run a Java codebase, maybe CoffeeMud, or Python, perhaps Evennia.

For what you're doing, I probably would choose Evennia. Locking down mux is not out of the question either.

Keep in mind that unless you're planning to host your game on your home computer then at some point you'll probably deploy to a Linux server, so it might be worthwhile to run the virtual machine for development. If you're not going to open the game to the public I guess that doesn't matter as much.
0.0/2