19 Feb, 2013, Tallas wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
I got my hands on one of my favorite Dragonball Smaug codebases from 2004. I want to revitalize it and give it new life. What I am looking for is an experienced coder to help me do this. Whether is coaching, coding, or even just laughing at me for this project. I ordered a few C++ books to get myself on the path but we all know a few books and websites in a short time will not get me to where I need to be to crack a codebase open and messing with it. So someone(s) please help? Would be MUCH appreciated. Contact me on here or at kstor_98@yahoo.com

Thank you

Tallas
19 Feb, 2013, JohnnyStarr wrote in the 2nd comment:
Votes: 0
Like I mentioned in your last post, most of us don't mind helping you. I will help you! But you need to do a few things first.

1) while you are waiting for your C++ books, do as much internet reading as you can.
2) don't make others do your legwork, learn enough about C so that you can ask direct questions
3) read EVERYTHING that your codebase has to offer, most admin questions will be answered there.
4) If you have done steps 1 - 3, repeat at least 3 more times.

I don't mean to sound pedantic here, but you won't get the help you are looking for by posting vague threads in a promotions section.
If you are "promoting" your project, explain what you are offering the world and try to sell your MUD a bit. Same if you want to recruit
developers.

Just so that you get what I'm saying, here is an example of how to get help.

Bad Question 1:
Hey guys, I want to learn C but I don't know where to start. Can you help me?

Good Question 1:
Hey guys, I've been reading about strings and arrays in C. What is the difference between a char type and char* type?

Bad Question 2:
How do I add a Quest system?

Good Question 2:
I've been working on a Quest system, but I haven't figured out how to load my quest files into the game. Could someone tell me where the code is that imports rooms, mobs, and objects so that I can try to see if I can figure out how to import my quests?
0.0/2