19 Feb, 2013, roguewombat wrote in the 41st comment:
Votes: 0
Nathan said:
Ideally you'd have some kind of algorithm doing that in the background, if players have to use an interface for it then it becomes clunky. If you need a manual player dependent method it needs some kind of in-character reason for existence.

Agreed and agreed, though I tend to think you could make it work even in a more casual environment - you'd just have a bit more fuzziness around your scores. That said, even OOC interactions could play into a player's engagement score - I enjoy the OOC talk as much as the IC, for example. But I'd say you could tweak the algorithm to encourage the type of behavior you actually want to see in the MUD - so an RP intense MUD would have the option to reduce the weight of OOC interactions.

Telgar said:
Roguewombat, you should try playing the pieces of interactive fiction "All Things Devours" and "Jigsaw".

Will give 'em a shot! Thanks. :smile:
19 Feb, 2013, roguewombat wrote in the 42nd comment:
Votes: 0
Forgot to post this link earlier - for folks who are interested in games like the one Nathan described above (split histories, tracking players' timelines relative to other players), you should check out Snap. It was a game prototype developed for a TIGSource "Versus" competition. Not really a "complete" game, but it is a clever prototype that shows off just how chaotic such a game can be: https://bitbucket.org/runhello/snap/wiki...
40.0/42