04 Jun, 2007, bunabiros wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
i'd just like to suggest that mudbytes.net enable some sort of email notification with the topic subscriptions. many of the other boards i am using provide this and it saves me from having to browse to the board every time i want to check my subscriptions.

maybe there is already a way to turn this on and i am just missing it?

thanks!
04 Jun, 2007, Conner wrote in the 2nd comment:
bunabiros said:
i'd just like to suggest that mudbytes.net enable some sort of email notification with the topic subscriptions. many of the other boards i am using provide this and it saves me from having to browse to the board every time i want to check my subscriptions.

maybe there is already a way to turn this on and i am just missing it?

thanks!

Actually, there are a couple of solutions for this. QSFP does not currently have email notification for watched topics like some forum software, that I know of, in fact, I'm really not sure at all what the subscribe function actually does do… but it does have email notification for PMs which you can turn on through your control panel. Also it does have an RSS feed you can watch so that you only have to check back in when you see that there's a post you want to read the rest of.. on the other hand, I know the staff and some members were just saying in another thread that we need more folks to come visit more often and for longer… *shrug*
04 Jun, 2007, Guest wrote in the 3rd comment:
Topic and forum subscriptions are supposed to send notifications when new replies are posted to areas you're keeping track of. If this isn't working then it's either because we screwed up a setting in the AdminCP or because the mail server is being stubborn again. Either way, you should be able to see which topics and forums you've marked as subscriptions by checking your control panel.
04 Jun, 2007, Conner wrote in the 4th comment:
Hmm, on my own copy of QSFP, I've tested a wee bit and it does show my subscribed threads in my control panel, but I don't think it sends out the actual emails.. though I haven't tested thoroughly yet on it and my sendmail config needs help desparately.. not to mention the fun I have with SORBS.. *sigh*

I'll do some more testing and get back to you on this one in a day or so.
04 Jun, 2007, bunabiros wrote in the 5th comment:
right right, i do know that i can subscribe and manage them, and that i can get email from my pm's.

i think you've pinpointed the feature i'm suggesting but i'll reiterate just in case. when you've subscribed to a topic, you can opt to receive an email when it's been replied to. various forum softwares handle this differently, some allow you to actually read the contents of the reply in the email, others just shoot you a quick mail letting you know there's been a reply.

i don't prefer either, because i do always return to the board to read up before i reply myself. but just having that email notification is quite handy, and since *most* of the other forums that i use provide this feature, you might think of doing it as well.

thanks for listening!
04 Jun, 2007, Guest wrote in the 6th comment:
As I said, that feature already exists. If it's not sending you email, then we need to investigate why. It could be the address you signed up with is bad, the mail is getting routed to your spam folder, the mail simply isn't getting off of our mail server, or the software itself may not be delivering the notifications properly. But we'll need to check. I've subscribed to this thread as a test now too so we'll see what happens.
04 Jun, 2007, Zeno wrote in the 7th comment:
Well here's a reply so you can get that email. :P

While we're on the topic of subscriptions, I think I suggested this before, but a subscription to Code Comments would be nice. Get an email every time there is a new comment on the Code you subscribed to.
05 Jun, 2007, bunabiros wrote in the 8th comment:
samson, maybe i'm missing something but i've looked a few times and i don't even see a place to designate yes/no to recieve the subscription emails.

they aren't getting sent at all. i check my spam folder daily. thanks.
05 Jun, 2007, Davion wrote in the 9th comment:
Look at the very bottom of the topic. Assuming no one has responded to this post yet, it'll be in the bottom right of this post, next to 'Reply' 'New Topic' and 'New Poll' buttons. It doesn't appear at the top, only bottom, for some odd reason.
05 Jun, 2007, bunabiros wrote in the 10th comment:
right… i see that, it's how i've "subscribed". what i'm referring to is that after this step, on most boards, there is also a SETTING you can enable to recieve email notifications of when your subscriptions are updated.

so what you're saying then is that there is NO setting, and that just by being "subscribed" i should be getting mail?

if so, then i'm guessing that the emails aren't getting sent at all. i've never had any issues recieving mail.

thanks.
05 Jun, 2007, Guest wrote in the 11th comment:
The emails are being sent. I've got plenty of them from each reply. So they are going out. We cannot do any more than that. You've subscribed, the emails are being sent, the only other thing to look for is either they're in your spam folder, or your mail server is rejecting them.
05 Jun, 2007, bunabiros wrote in the 12th comment:
ok, i've turned the spam filter OFF. i don't think this is the issue because spam is sent directly to my spam folder, not deleted. but lets try it.

can someone reply to this thread? thanks for the help.
05 Jun, 2007, kiasyn wrote in the 13th comment:
hi!
05 Jun, 2007, bunabiros wrote in the 14th comment:
yea, it doesn't work. could it be because i do not have the "allow others to contact you using the email form" feature enabled?

that's the only thing i can see in the control panel.

i'm not aware that this email account has ever silently rejected mail in the past, though i suppose it's possible.
05 Jun, 2007, Zeno wrote in the 15th comment:
I'm sure the forum is sending out emails.

Looks like you'll have to talk to your ISP.
05 Jun, 2007, bunabiros wrote in the 16th comment:
bah, it's not that big a deal. just curious to me that many other forums are able to send.

thanks for the help people!
05 Jun, 2007, Guest wrote in the 17th comment:
The emails are being sent, but after having looked at one of the deferments that came back, you need to contact AOL and ask them to remove the reverse DNS block that's in place. Seems they've decided that anyone with an IP that doesn't reverse resolve gets slammed into the void. I'm sure everyone out there with dynamic IPs will be thrilled to know this. Yet another reason not to be using AOL.

Spam filtering is one thing, but blanket rejections of non-reverse IP lookups is quite another. I've been with plenty of legitimate ISPs and other service providers who don't allow reverse lookups to go through, or return a result that doesn't match the narrow conditions being asked for.
05 Jun, 2007, bunabiros wrote in the 18th comment:
thanks for the legwork samson. :)
05 Jun, 2007, Conner wrote in the 19th comment:
Good to hear that the function definitely does in fact work, but not so good to hear that AOL is being putzy about email now. :sad:
<mutter><grumble>As if sorbs wasn't enough of a hassle for folks like me</grumble></mutter> :mad:
06 Jun, 2007, Brinson wrote in the 20th comment:
Samson said:
Seems they've decided that anyone with an IP that doesn't reverse resolve gets slammed into the void. I'm sure everyone out there with dynamic IPs will be thrilled to know this. Yet another reason not to be using AOL.

I sent them numerous complaints when the people on my old MOO couldn't confirm their accounts because of it and they explained why to me. Apparently, a lot of spammers use apps that mass email from their own pc. Apparently, they actually succeed in stopping a lot of spam by blocking what they consider "residential" Ip adresses. Very annoying, I agree, but at least its not for an all in all stupid reason.

Samson said:
I've been with plenty of legitimate ISPs and other service providers who don't allow reverse lookups to go through, or return a result that doesn't match the narrow conditions being asked for.

Stupid or not, that's the point of it. It stops emails from normal "Residential" ips/isps.
0.0/66