01 Dec, 2012, Ssolvarain wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
So, it's almost time for Christmas. I'm posting this under building, since I'm assuming your christmas quests are built using scripts of one type or another.

I'm sort of curious about what sort of quests you plan to run for Christmas, so I can steal your ideas and implement them in my own fashion ;)
01 Dec, 2012, triskaledia wrote in the 2nd comment:
While I do not have any script ran quest for christmas, I do hand out random gifts to those who might log Reanimation during the season.
(I tend to do that randomly anyway)
On ZombieMUD (FIN version, or wherever its located…) I think they have a Santa that sits at Town Center that has random mobs try and come kill him and you have to protect him from them… Only saw Christmas on that MUD once. After reading your post, I did think up some idea's though for someone to write.

Create an object called reindeer poop, and send the players out to clean up Santa's mess (preferably last X days after Christmas).

If you have player homes, you could have a "Santa Mob" wander around and enter player ran homes and leave a random gift.
Gifts could be simple quest tokens, small/large amount of gold, race/class specific equipment/items, etc etc.

I just remembered I did have a builder create a 'Santa' that sat at my Temple Square and handed out Candy Canes that added affects to players once ate.
This was quite spammy, and even setting a random flag on the greeting, it didn't really have a block on how many a player could collect.

If you're anti-holidays, you could have a 'Holiday Mob' be a target for the holidays and have it award something for being slain.

The idea's are really limitless, depending on which faith/religion/beliefs you may follow.

But, I think the most important thing to do is make sure whatever script/program/mob/quest you come up with should fit into the scheme of your MUD.
I didn't much care for a Santa in Reanimation, since it is medieval based.
02 Dec, 2012, KaVir wrote in the 3rd comment:
I open a Winterland world each December, populated with humourous Christmas-themed mobs. I try to add a few new ones each year, but some of the best ones are Santa Claws (riding the Doom Sleigh, which carries on fighting without him if he's knocked off), the Christmas Treant (complete with a tiny fairy sat on his head who casts spells at people), the animated nut-cracker (who targets the groin), the giant snowman (he throws massive snowballs), the snap-dragon (with a flaming brandy breath attack) and the dire carol singers (their singing is so dire that they can literally cause your head to explode).
02 Dec, 2012, Dean wrote in the 4th comment:
We do a few different things;

*In the week leading up to Christmas, I add Christmas trees to the more frequented stores (as appropriate) which the players can then go and place in their houses or ships. Then on Christmas Eve I sneak around the MUD leaving Christmas present objects for all the people who placed their trees and lumps of coal to players who own houses but didn't place a tree. Presents can be unwrapped, giving the player one item from a list of desirable items at random.

*Immortal run events like quizzes, mini-games or what have you. Just things that are quick and easy to setup, whilst still being enjoyable.

*Finally, like KaViR, we open our Christmas themed zone and leave that open for a week or two for players to explore and score some swag.
07 Dec, 2012, Natilena wrote in the 5th comment:
Along with the usual appearance of Christmas themed mobs and objects we do something called "Snowman Wars". Our demigod led player groups collect the snow and required items from the world to create their snowman then equip it. The finale is having the Snowmen mobs fight each other to the death, last Snowman standing is the winner. Sadly it might be delayed until January this year but its previously been a Christmas holiday quest.
07 Dec, 2012, Lyanic wrote in the 6th comment:
Natilena said:
Along with the usual appearance of Christmas themed mobs and objects we do something called "Snowman Wars". Our demigod led player groups collect the snow and required items from the world to create their snowman then equip it. The finale is having the Snowmen mobs fight each other to the death, last Snowman standing is the winner. Sadly it might be delayed until January this year but its previously been a Christmas holiday quest.

Why would you equip a snowman?

Edit: Nevermind, I think I misread that sentence. You mean giving the snowmen armor and weapons before letting them battle, right?
08 Dec, 2012, Natilena wrote in the 7th comment:
Lyanic said:
You mean giving the snowmen armor and weapons before letting them battle, right?

Hehe, yes correct.
04 Sep, 2013, Nathan wrote in the 8th comment:
Kind of a thread necro, but..

Dean said:
We do a few different things;

*In the week leading up to Christmas, I add Christmas trees to the more frequented stores (as appropriate) which the players can then go and place in their houses or ships. Then on Christmas Eve I sneak around the MUD leaving Christmas present objects for all the people who placed their trees and lumps of coal to players who own houses but didn't place a tree. Presents can be unwrapped, giving the player one item from a list of desirable items at random.

*Immortal run events like quizzes, mini-games or what have you. Just things that are quick and easy to setup, whilst still being enjoyable.

*Finally, like KaViR, we open our Christmas themed zone and leave that open for a week or two for players to explore and score some swag.

That sounds interesting.

triskaledia said:
While I do not have any script ran quest for christmas, I do hand out random gifts to those who might log Reanimation during the season.
(I tend to do that randomly anyway)
On ZombieMUD (FIN version, or wherever its located…) I think they have a Santa that sits at Town Center that has random mobs try and come kill him and you have to protect him from them… Only saw Christmas on that MUD once. After reading your post, I did think up some idea's though for someone to write.

Create an object called reindeer poop, and send the players out to clean up Santa's mess (preferably last X days after Christmas).

If you have player homes, you could have a "Santa Mob" wander around and enter player ran homes and leave a random gift.
Gifts could be simple quest tokens, small/large amount of gold, race/class specific equipment/items, etc etc.

I just remembered I did have a builder create a 'Santa' that sat at my Temple Square and handed out Candy Canes that added affects to players once ate.
This was quite spammy, and even setting a random flag on the greeting, it didn't really have a block on how many a player could collect.

If you're anti-holidays, you could have a 'Holiday Mob' be a target for the holidays and have it award something for being slain.

The idea's are really limitless, depending on which faith/religion/beliefs you may follow.

But, I think the most important thing to do is make sure whatever script/program/mob/quest you come up with should fit into the scheme of your MUD.
I didn't much care for a Santa in Reanimation, since it is medieval based.

Yeah, the events on a game really ought to based around the theme. Ideally, if you have weather/seasons in your game they align with the real world, barring your game being set in a vastly different world and set you up for that. As for being "medieval-based", I'd like to point that the catholic church (effectively a group of Christians) existed in medieval times and there probably was some kind of Christmas (Christ Mass, anyone?) celebration. It probably wasn't Santa (or St. Nicholas) though unless you've set your game in a modified form of the real world, as opposed to a generic medieval-esque one without any relation to our world.

Personally, I'd argue for sticking with either a generic holiday of sorts that centers around the basic, shared, enjoyment of feasts/festivals/etc or going with ones that have specific in character significance. I.e. if you had a D&D game or a mud of a similar irk that centered around Forgotten Realms, you could have actual game events centered around setting defined holidays.
04 Sep, 2013, Ssolvarain wrote in the 9th comment:
HOW DARE YOU NECRO MY THREAD?!!?!?!?!

lol :P

I've been thinking of setting up a Halloween quest where you can trick or treat from various themed mobs throughout the game. Since I think we've got social pets pretty much nailed, I'm thinking about making a few different pets players can obtain by trick or treating at enough places for each 5 or 10 levels.
0.0/9