28 May, 2007, kiasyn wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
Obviously it wouldn't be a true 'IMC' server, but just a place for mudders on the IMC to hang out with voice. Makes coding easier, XD.
28 May, 2007, Conner wrote in the 2nd comment:
So you're proposing a VoIP server for IMC?
29 May, 2007, Brinson wrote in the 3rd comment:
As someone whose only recently gotten broadband, I'm out of the loop on this Ventrilo thingy mabobber. How does it work? I mean, is it just a free for all voice chat? Does that get confusing?
29 May, 2007, Conner wrote in the 4th comment:
Here's the info I could find on it: http://www.ventrilo.com/about.php and since I don't use Windows anymore, I'm not sure I'd be able to use it unless it's client works under WINE. *shrug*

And, as near as I can tell from what's listed, yes, for the most part it's a free for all party line version of VoiP, modelled on IM-based chatrooms. *shrug*
29 May, 2007, Guest wrote in the 5th comment:
I'm just as confused as Conner, Kiasyn. What is it you're looking at doing? Extending IMC to support voice or setting up a voice chat network with the same purpose?
29 May, 2007, kiasyn wrote in the 6th comment:
Setting up a voice chat network with the same purpose, extending IMC to support voice would be a PITA.
07 Jun, 2007, Kayle wrote in the 7th comment:
Conner: There's a Linux version of Ventrilo available.

We use it while playing WoW all the time, it's easier to hit a key that's unused in the game, say something into a mic and keep killing then stopping to type out a message while killing things. but as hectic as IMC is at times, I think a Vent server would be a rather confusing place.
07 Jun, 2007, Conner wrote in the 8th comment:
I guess if this idea ever gets approval, I'll have to look into that linux client then.
02 Sep, 2007, Sanami wrote in the 9th comment:
As soon as I can I'm gonna put a server up for ZoIPer. This isn't really related, but for those who want a "voice" network its a client you can use to call someone. A friend of mine has a server up and has me added on to it. What I do is "dial" a number within his network…normally each computer…then talk to him. Its just another IAX and SIP softphone.

ZoIPer site
02 Sep, 2007, tphegley wrote in the 10th comment:
Hey all,

If any of you want to check out how ventrilo works give me a pm and I'll send you my vent server info and you can check it out. It's a very cool communication tool to have and is quite easy to set up. Very easy indeed.

***EDIT***
I think Kiasyn was getting at having mudbytes.net or the imc website to support the vent server and use it for IMC related stuff? If that is case it is very simple to set up. Just put it in a folder untar the file and start it up. There are ways to change settings and you can add/create new rooms from inside the vent client program. I think integrating it into the code now would be more work then it's worth but if you just had it on a server it'd be simple enough to log into.
13 Sep, 2007, Kjwah wrote in the 11th comment:
Kayle said:
Conner: There's a Linux version of Ventrilo available.

Is there? For the past two and a half years(3?) it's been saying that it's still in development..

TeamSpeak doesn't have as nice of sound quality as Ventrilo but they do have Linux/Mac/Windows clients and servers. Ventrilo is still only available for Windows and Mac. On top of that, you have to pay for a license fee to have more than eight people on a ventrilo server unless you rent it from another company. It's a lot easier to just setup a teamspeak server and use that.

EDIT: On a side note, if you haven't used teamspeak I have a server setup already. If you want to try it out or whatever send me a PM and I'll get you the address and the port.
01 Oct, 2007, Lazerous wrote in the 12th comment:
Nice idea!
07 Jun, 2008, quixadhal wrote in the 13th comment:
I run a small ventrilo server on my linux box, just for the handful of friends I have who play various online games and aren't in a guild (for MMO's). I believe the free version supports 8 clients at a time.

I've never used the linux client, but the server works just fine.
25 Jun, 2008, darkraider wrote in the 14th comment:
Vent servers can be useful for players that are in a clan for example during a war or raid clans can communicate via voice or to work with allied clan but that can get expensive to run
0.0/14