16 Aug, 2012, KaVir wrote in the 21st comment:
Votes: 0
Jhypsy Shah said:
Same with the sourcebook. If all of your help files are basically the same as AD&D 2.0 or whatever edition rules, from character creation onwards..then call it an original mud, though it's based on their campaign world and other creations. I see it as the same.

If you have their artwork (and I'm not talking CC or public domain) on your mud's website, without their permission, promoting it and all your worried about is a line from a 20 year old codebase..I would call that irony.

The OP is running a Diku derived mud with the credits stripped out. I know it's based on Diku because I've examined part of the code, and I know the Diku teams wishes because they've told me.

I've no idea where his artwork comes from, or if he has permission to use it. I've no idea if his help files are copied verbatim from some D&D book, or whether he has permission to copy them.

Disagreements over the Diku licence almost invariably result from someone choosing to follow their own interpretation of the licence, rather than respecting the copyright holder's wishes. If I were to criticise people for using artistic and literary works based purely on my own interpretation of how that work should be used, then I would be doing the exact same thing I criticised others for doing.
16 Aug, 2012, Runter wrote in the 22nd comment:
maybe the confusion here is that a lot of intellectual property rights holders allow other people to use their work in different ways.

If you have their artwork (and I'm not talking CC or public domain) on your mud's website, without their permission, promoting it and all your worried about is a line from a 20 year old codebase..I would call that irony.

If you know someone stealing artwork then you should point it out just like other people did in this occasion. I think you're talking about anecdotes that aren't really happening, though. And in most jurisdictions parody is protected, and most published works of media are notorious for encouraging fans to spread their pictures far and wide.
16 Aug, 2012, Jhypsy Shah wrote in the 23rd comment:
If you know someone stealing artwork then you should point it out just like other people did in this occasion. I think you're talking about anecdotes that aren't really happening, though. And in most jurisdictions parody is protected, and most published works of media are notorious for encouraging fans to spread their pictures far and wide.

true, I peeked at the site and as far as parody and the sourcebooks art, I'd agree that neither is happening in this case.

I usually don't say anything, unless I'm offering something and that would be in a PM but I have to say if I were offering something then I would be kinda concerned over such things, as I would be the liscence. Though, I believe this is the first time that I mentioned it publically.

I guess that was my point, though.. Looking back, I should've started a new thread for the topic. :/
16 Aug, 2012, Hades_Kane wrote in the 24th comment:
I hate when I have a bunch of stuff typed, for one reason or another my browser refreshes, and it's all lost.

Pretend this was an insightful post :p
16 Aug, 2012, Lyanic wrote in the 25th comment:
Hades_Kane said:
I hate when I have a bunch of stuff typed, for one reason or another my browser refreshes, and it's all lost.

Pretend this was an insightful post :p

Nope. I'm pretending it was the textual equivalent of you wearing a Jester's outfit and stumbling about the MUDBytes courtyard making a fool of yourself for my personal amusement.
16 Aug, 2012, Jhypsy Shah wrote in the 26th comment:
Jhyps, you may like this thread..

http://www.mudbytes.net/index.php?a=topi...

..and you may have posted drunk in it and not remembered, so you should go and read it, now.

Do these clown pants make me look fat? I'm running late to an interview about my new imaginary ebook that the feds just erased..

Oh wow! Thank you..and no, it complements the jesters hat. XD
20.0/26