09 Aug, 2012, Idealiad wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
I found this page,

http://wiki.failbettergames.com/narrativ...

It describes different ways of leading players through content. Its terms are specific to a particular game (Echo Bazaar) but the patterns themselves are interesting and I think applicable to mud quest design. Normally when people talk about mud quests I don't think the conversation goes much past the basic types, so I thought this different perspective was good to highlight.
10 Aug, 2012, Ssolvarain wrote in the 2nd comment:
Wow. I doubt they could be any more confusing in the way that was written.

That said, I've designed several types of quest chains that link together in more than linear fashion. The only reason I understood even half of that is because I've done it before. The real problem is that a lot of builders either don't have, or can't use variables in their programming, leading to a stagnated and straightforward approach to quests.
10 Aug, 2012, Idealiad wrote in the 3rd comment:
What that article made me think of was giving builders bigger building blocks than variables to set. For example, a builder could edit a quest to be 'a staircase', or 'a carousel' to use the article's terms. Like a template I guess.

It seems like builder debugging quest scripts is not where you want to be spending your time. But you do want them to have interesting structures to create with.
0.0/3