25 Jun, 2012, Koumintang wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
OK in a month of being back up and running I've already started turning some heads and getting some players attracted. I've found a couple newer builders, but now I need some seasoned veterns to get this mud off the ground with some customized areas.. If you are experienced with the SWR building system, and will need little help to get areas build fill out an application on my website… http://koumyserver.servegame.com

I'm looking for two EXPERIENCED Builders and a Head Builder. I will choose who will become the Head builder when I see what each can do. All applicants will need to include an example of their work. I do not need a whole area just part of an area file will do so you know I am not here to just steal your work.

IGABOD THIS IS FOR YOU:
Some extra's SWRU has is as followed:
1) Player made ships
2) Player installed cybernetics
3) USABLE CLOAKS!!!!!(you can hide your equipment and your looks)
4) Clan Rosters
5) Player made clans
6) Jetpacks
7) Jedi/Sith apprentince system
8) Ship simulators
9) Player created Cybernetics
10) AND MUCH MORE!!!!

Sorry I didn't respond to you last time Igabod
27 Jun, 2012, Igabod wrote in the 2nd comment:
I appreciate you acknowledging my questions. Unfortunately I am currently the head builder and supporting coder for your competition. We use a different codebase but since it is sw themed I consider us to be competing. I personally got fed up with the swr codebase. And I don't see myself going back now that I've found my new home. Add a few more unique features and I might be tempted to at least log on and check it out though.

I wish you luck in your search for builders, its not easy to find talented builders.
27 Jun, 2012, Koumintang wrote in the 3rd comment:
thanks for the luck. It looks like i am going to need it. Also, I already knew you wasn't going to come work with me, I just wanted to address your questions. Your right, talented builders are hard to find… I hope some come my way soon.
27 Jun, 2012, Ssolvarain wrote in the 4th comment:
Nothing wrong with cultivating a few builders, either. It's hard to stay a newbie forever.

Just sayin.
28 Jun, 2012, Igabod wrote in the 5th comment:
I agree with ssolvarain. It isn't that hard to teach people to build, especially with all the tutorials out there. And you would be doing a service to the mudding community in general by creating more builders. But I've always found that the most dedicated builders are those who have played the game regularly for a good bit of time. Just pick your player with the most playing time and teach him or her.
28 Jun, 2012, Koumintang wrote in the 6th comment:
Oh I completely agree… I have three right now that are pretty much learning how to build on my mud… Just hard to keep up with each of them.
28 Jun, 2012, Hades_Kane wrote in the 7th comment:
Another suggestion might be to either take a bit of time and make a complete and full OLC tutorial for your game, or find one for another game with the same codebase you can point people to.

There was a great ROM OLC tutorial floating around for a few years called OLC: Down and Dirty in the MUD. The original site went down, but another ROM game called Mage's Lair (that at least at one point was accepting donations for in-game items, but they seem to just have it strictly donations at this point) has it (more or less) preserved, although I don't see anything indicating that they copied it from the other site (despite the layout, images, and all text are pretty much verbatim the original).

Anyhow, that is the tutorial I learned to build using. I am of the belief that any builder that will potentially be worth keeping around should be able to learn like that. Generally, description tips and techniques tend to be the only things I feel like really need much in the way of instruction. A good tutorial will be able to easily answer any questions they may have. That tutorial I learned from served nicely as a very general outline on creating one specific to my MUD, and during the course of creating it, I went through every flag, every value, etc. and outlined what each of them did. I actually learned things about our OLC I never knew, and it also gave me a perfect chance to streamline, enhance, or otherwise modify things that didn't do what they were supposed to or things that just didn't do anything at all.

I have our tutorial available as a book item (with numerous keywords along with page numbers for ease of access) and a text file uploaded on the site. I have yet to create an HTML page with links and whatnot, but that will eventually be coming. It takes a while to get a good tutorial completely written, but in the long run, it saves a lot of time, as once you get all this written down once, you shouldn't have to go back over it again.

Another benefit of "training" a new builder is that you get to get them going with your expectations, rather than someone else's. We discourage things with building such as copying of room descriptions, dictating character actions/feelings/etc in the descriptions, along with a limit on how much color in descriptions we feel are appropriate. An experienced builder from somewhere else may have completely different expectations on what makes an acceptable area/room description, and being able to train someone with your expectations helps keep a consistent flow throughout the game.

Anyhow, that's my two cents… a well written tutorial ought to do most of the work for you, and help you get the kind of work out of a builder that you are looking for.
0.0/7