11 Apr, 2012, plamzi wrote in the 201st comment:
Votes: 0
Chris Bailey said:
Tyche said:
plamzi said:
You can start debating by showing that:

1. Most MUDs are not Dikurivatives.

I don't really care about the debate, however, most muds listed at TMC are not Dikurivatives.

Muds listed at TMC - 1097
diku - 484
not-diku - 613

Boom Shakalaka! :P

Next step of a good counter-argument should address the following:

1. 322 of the non-Diku entries are for MUCK/MUSH/MUX/MOO games. Are you prepared to argue that for all of these this feature will be easy to add just because they're not Diku?

2. Knowing what we know about some of the other popular codebases, e. g. when they were first designed, what the code looks like (for those who are familiar with it), can we reasonably assume that Diku was the only codebase that scattered user output strings throughout?

Don't worry, I did some of the research. I checked out the latest version of TinyMUSH (according to this link is derived from the most popular MUSH codebase, TinyMUD. MUCKs and MUSHes account for 210 entries on TMC, and most of them seem derived from Tiny). It didn't take me long to find scattered functions like these:

notify(player, "No message.");
notify_with_cause(wp->player, cause, msg);
raw_notify(wp->player, msg_ns);

I really don't care enough to do more research, but I'm sure that there are other popular codebases that were not engineered with color customizability in mind. Even with the 10-15 min. I put in, it seems pretty clear to me that the argument how this sort of thing is very easy (or should be very easy) for most MUDs is just wishful thinking.

Also, I don't want to split hairs about definitions, but it is clear that under *one* definition, most MUDs listed on TMC are still Dikurivatives.
11 Apr, 2012, Cratylus wrote in the 202nd comment:
There's a new kind of mudding out there, a new way to play a mud.

It's called "making a mud" and it's super fun. You get a codebase, you play with it, customizing it, to learn how to code and to express yourself in a challenging way.

Typically the results are a ship in a bottle that few others will enjoy…prhaps more like a model train layout in your basement.

It's possible nobody will notice that you painted each feather on the parrot on the shoulder of the pirate in the ship in the bottle on the shelf of the railyard engineer's office.

It's also possible that it pleased you to do it.

-Crat
http://lpmuds.net
11 Apr, 2012, Chris Bailey wrote in the 203rd comment:
Cratylus said:

It's called "making a mud" and it's super fun. You get a codebase, you play with it, customizing it, to learn how to code and to express yourself in a challenging way.

Typically the results are a ship in a bottle that few others will enjoy…prhaps more like a model train layout in your basement.

It's possible nobody will notice that you painted each feather on the parrot on the shoulder of the pirate in the ship in the bottle on the shelf of the railyard engineer's office.

-Crat

I'm with you on this one. I really have no interest in making something for others to play anymore. I just enjoy tinkering as a hobby. =)
11 Apr, 2012, Kline wrote in the 204th comment:
Cratylus said:

-Crat

Entirely what I'm doing…
12 Apr, 2012, Deimos wrote in the 205th comment:
@Lyanic: My misspelling of your name is unintentional, I assure you. Sorry if it offends you, but maybe you should have chosen a name less apt to be misspelled.. like Vapiric. >:)
12 Apr, 2012, Runter wrote in the 206th comment:
Deimos said:
@Lyanic: My misspelling of your name is unintentional, I assure you. Sorry if it offends you, but maybe you should have chosen a name less apt to be misspelled.. like Vapiric. >:)

Demos is right.
12 Apr, 2012, Tyche wrote in the 207th comment:
plamzi said:
Don't worry, I did some of the research. I checked out the latest version of TinyMUSH (according to this link is derived from the most popular MUSH codebase, TinyMUD. MUCKs and MUSHes account for 210 entries on TMC, and most of them seem derived from Tiny). It didn't take me long to find scattered functions like these:

notify(player, "No message.");
notify_with_cause(wp->player, cause, msg);
raw_notify(wp->player, msg_ns);

Let's just say the Wikipedia tree isn't very accurate. Mushes descend from MicroMush,
which shared the network and database code from TinyMud. Comparing TinyMud to
TinyMush/Mux is like comparing SocketMud to Smaug. Mushes, unlike TinyMud/DikuMud,
but like LPMuds, are programmed online. And like LP mudlibs, any color schemes would
be setup in the Mushcode database not the driver. It's not very useful to examine output
routines in the driver.
12 Apr, 2012, Ssolvarain wrote in the 208th comment:
Chris Bailey said:
I just enjoy tinkering as a hobby. =)

Then why are you still working on a game that accepts connections? Seems fairly silly to me.
12 Apr, 2012, Chris Bailey wrote in the 209th comment:
I'm not working on any type of open game that accepts connections. I work on codebases without content.
12 Apr, 2012, Deimos wrote in the 210th comment:
Just because it's done for one reason and not the other doesn't mean it's silly if he doesn't explicitly prohibit the other, Ssolvarain. Some people like to tinker with old cars with no intentions of ever having the car be driven; would that mean that it's equally silly for them to include a steering wheel?
12 Apr, 2012, Ssolvarain wrote in the 211th comment:
People who tinker with old cars like to take them out on nice days and show them off.

By your own analogy, Chris Bailey is working on a 95 Saturn, not a classic car.
12 Apr, 2012, Deimos wrote in the 212th comment:
So, you ignore the analogy I gave and compared your comment to a different analogy you created that better suited your point?

Did you cheat off of plamzi in debate class? :-p
12 Apr, 2012, Chris Bailey wrote in the 213th comment:
Ssolvarain said:
People who tinker with old cars like to take them out on nice days and show them off.

By your own analogy, Chris Bailey is working on a 95 Saturn, not a classic car.

What? I must have missed something. I like to develop codebases that others may use to create a game by adding content. I suppose you could consider other developers the players then? What I am getting at is that I have no intention of creating a game for people to play. I'm not so sure what is wrong with that.
12 Apr, 2012, Ssolvarain wrote in the 214th comment:
I never said anything was wrong with it?

The two of you just got all defensive and made an assumption.
12 Apr, 2012, Deimos wrote in the 215th comment:
You said it was silly to be creating a game that accepts connections if the purpose isn't to allow players to connect to it while he tinkers.

I didn't get defensive or make an assumption. I just think it's even sillier that you think such a thing is silly.
13 Apr, 2012, Ssolvarain wrote in the 216th comment:
Why you even care is completely beyond me.

This is 15 pages of people being silly. There's so many semantics here you could print them off and use them as wallpaper.
13 Apr, 2012, Cratylus wrote in the 217th comment:
Ssolvarain said:
Why you even care is completely beyond me.

This is 15 pages of people being silly. There's so many semantics here you could print them off and use them as wallpaper.

You made a comment about someone else seeming silly to you. It was explained to you why it wasn't actually silly.

We can now carry on with our lives, let it go. No need to get defensive.

-Crat
13 Apr, 2012, Deimos wrote in the 218th comment:
Welcome to The Internets.
13 Apr, 2012, Ssolvarain wrote in the 219th comment:
Cratylus said:
It was explained to you why it wasn't actually silly.

No, it is. You'd just like to argue that it isn't for the sake of arguing.

Which is silly.
14 Apr, 2012, plamzi wrote in the 220th comment:
*silly bump*
200.0/221