24 Mar, 2007, Davion wrote in the 21st comment:
Votes: 0
Darien, My post wasn't to specifically take a jab at you or Sandstorm. I more or less was saying what I expect in a codebase. I used you as an example because you explained the beast that is Sandstorm previously in this thread. And as far as barely touching it goes, that's not entirely true. I went through Sandstorm over and over finding and fixing the odd bugs here and there. I got to know Sandstorm alright. My main beef was that it was huge and the features didn't justify the size (you rolling back to an older version to cut back is also proof of this.) You had a ton of uniqueness which was refreshing, you also had a lot of waisted code, and unused code. I attempted to run Splint on it, but that scared the hell out of me. It was half ported to C++, and the implementation of the C++ was contrary to the flow of the code that is Sandstorm. Being a self taught coder just trying to learn C++, I couldn't expect you to port it to C++ like a pro like you may be able to do (or have done) now.

Sandi, I don't understand why you're so hesitant to release it. It sounds like you have quite the codebase there. One that may blow a breath of fresh air in the ROM community. If one person uses your codebase, isn't that enough to justify its release? I guess you also have to decide what you want from releasing the codebase.
24 Mar, 2007, Conner wrote in the 22nd comment:
Davion said:
Sandi, I don't understand why you're so hesitant to release it. It sounds like you have quite the codebase there. One that may blow a breath of fresh air in the ROM community. If one person uses your codebase, isn't that enough to justify its release? I guess you also have to decide what you want from releasing the codebase.

She's probably got concerns about the same things that others have publicly decreed as their reasons for refusing to release further code (bases or snippets): people refusing to credit (or stealing credit from) original authors, license non-compliance, etc. Of course, she also might just be concerned about having to support her code after releasing it too. :shrug:
24 Mar, 2007, Sandi wrote in the 23rd comment:
Yeh, it's mostly concerns about support. On the other hand, thinking about it, with all the code I've released over the years, not once has anyone asked for help. I'm not sure if that means it's really good, or really bad. :redface:

Anyway, I just stopped by TMC, looked at the most recent threads, and realised all I have to do to make it a success is convert it to some anime theme. :evil:
24 Mar, 2007, Conner wrote in the 24th comment:
:lol: NIce, Sandi. :lol:

It probably does mean that they've been good enough snippets that no one needed to bug you over them. :smile:
25 Mar, 2007, Tyche wrote in the 25th comment:
Sandi said:
Anyone done it recently? Any thoughts? Cautions? Stories of glory?

Don't expect glory or much comment. My comment to download ratio is about 1 to 100. In talking to others that's about normal. I'd caution you against releasing under an obnoxious license, but since I presume it's a derivative of ROM, I guess you're screwed. So I'd caution against piling on more.

Sandi said:
I have to admit, the current tenor of the MUD community is giving me second thoughts, although that's been my objective since I started, back when the only descendant of ROM was ROT.

Well back in '96 there were a hundred flaming assholes on rec.mud.*
Now there are only a dozen of us flaming assholes.
So if you're waiting for the "tenor" to change… you might have to wait until we're all doped up on soma. ;-)
20.0/25