06 Jan, 2012, arholly wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
OK, here is a good question. What should be in the who or userlist vs. what should be in something like a whois or finger command.

For example, in ours, we have:
[     Plain   Male] Bert is new to the city

vs. our whois:
[Hideous   Male] Rayal is really here, just coding.
Available for RP: None
You can't figure out someone's profession.
Someone was last online: Fri Jan 6 09:38:49 2012

Now, actually looking at it, I can see there is duplicate information. Should that kind of information be duplicated? Should the who/userlist be just a who is online and the whois be a "this is more information" type of command?

I know it is an individual decision, but just kind of polling the community to see what people think.

Arholly
06 Jan, 2012, Runter wrote in the 2nd comment:
I'm in the camp that thinks the wholist should contain minimal details. I lean towards name only. Maybe name and level if such a thing exists. Maybe just a name and a color code for class. I'm very opposed to things like player set titles on who list. The worst mud I've played (with regard to this issue) often times didn't even display the players name on the who list. Was possible for imms to set a who-list-name to anything they want, and sure enough, almost every player's entire who entry was something irrelevant.

I think the issue starts to become more obvious as a problem when you get more than a few players in the game.
06 Jan, 2012, Ssolvarain wrote in the 3rd comment:
I think the amount of information depends on the type of game you're running. You might find some things to be pointless, like gender. If roleplay is a serious focus, and I see you have a field "Available for RP", then perhaps you should make that more widely available through a flag or field on the who list.
06 Jan, 2012, Omega wrote in the 4th comment:
I'm with Runter on this; as you've seen by my mud; I only display the name, and [AFK] if they are away. Of course I seperate staff from players so there is no confusion or trickery. But that is all. There simply is no need for more IMHO.
06 Jan, 2012, KaVir wrote in the 5th comment:
This is my who list:

This is my whois:

You can also view my profile via the website:

http://www.godwars2.org/mwi/whois/KaVir
07 Jan, 2012, Hades_Kane wrote in the 6th comment:
I'm of the mind that a wholist should contain only (typically) easily identifiable information.

We show the race, gender, their name, clan affiliation (if applicable), any other valid flags (afk, whether OOC channel is on, etc) and whether or not you can PK them.

We are a roleplay encouraged environment and so the idea was not to provide much or any "meta" information like level, and since class isn't a physically identifiable aspect of a person, we left that off as well. The PK info was put in when we had debated a PK level range, and that was partly hand in hand with not putting a level on the who list. We figure generally speaking, a person should be able to identify someone's race and gender on sight, so that felt okay to have in the list.

We don't have a finger or whois command, but I have considered doing it, but it would likely be restricted to immortal use only and contain basic information about a character.
08 Jan, 2012, KaVir wrote in the 7th comment:
Hades_Kane said:
We don't have a finger or whois command, but I have considered doing it, but it would likely be restricted to immortal use only and contain basic information about a character.

Why imm-only? My players find it a really useful tool, it lets them check when their friends were last online.
08 Jan, 2012, Ssolvarain wrote in the 8th comment:
We do have a "last" command that shows the last time logged in. It also links into our account system, but I think only immortals can view that info.

I've run across quite a few things on EoT where it seems like a feature, but I'm pretty sure it's just a snippet installed into the code that EoT is derived from.
08 Jan, 2012, Runter wrote in the 9th comment:
re roleplay friendly commands

My take on it is if it's a meta command in the first place, something your character shouldn't have information from ICly, then why does it matter if it's roleplay friendly or not? The very act of showing all the players online isn't a "verb" command. Like eat, walk, say, buy, whatever. Something like "who" as a whole is meta at face value. Players using it should know that from the beginning. Hiding that fact might be doing more damage than good if you really care about the separation of the two concepts.
17 Jan, 2012, thecircuitbox wrote in the 10th comment:
This is my finger
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Fubar the Swordpupil
Married to: N/A
Clan enrollment: Eureka
Last logged at: Sun Dec 31 03:41:57 2011 from: c-??-???-???-??.hsd1.tx.comcast.net
Email address: ???????@????.???
He has no unread mail.
He is logged on.

To me I believe that is enough info for now.

Here is my who.
X X X X X X X X X X X X X
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
[103][MG][Hum] Fubar the Mage
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
One lonely character displayed.
17 Jan, 2012, Chris Bailey wrote in the 11th comment:
My who list

17 Jan, 2012, Tyche wrote in the 12th comment:
TeensyMud who list
=== Who List ===
Bob
Bob
Goku
Bob
Tyche
Bob
Goku

TeensyMud has multi-Bob and multi-Goku support.
17 Jan, 2012, Hades_Kane wrote in the 13th comment:
As Ssol said, the last command is available to everyone, and for mortals, it just shows the time of their last login.

Any additional information I don't like supplying for mortals largely because while PK is available, the game overall isn't a PK MUD, and for the most part, I think that being able to scout someone's level, race, class, and other information like that would be mostly useful for preparing to PK someone. In our game, PK is supposed to be supplemental to roleplay (or otherwise on a consensual basis when RP isn't involved), and so we aren't of the mind of giving too much information to someone out right. Following someone around and watching their skill use, or having to find them and look at them to make judgments based on what they are wearing, what they look like and the way they are fighting is the way the players in EoT should have to prepare for someone.

We aren't RP intensive or anything… we consider the game to be "roleplay highly encouraged", so there are some bits of meta information and other things that players have access to, but a big focus on what we give out freely versus what we don't has a lot to do with the PK aspect.
17 Jan, 2012, quixadhal wrote in the 14th comment:
What should be in a who list? Kinda depends on how role-playee your game is.

If you want to be realisticy and role-playee… only the people whom you've actually met in game and added to your friends list. If you assume all your players are wearing "Hi! I'm Bob!" nametags on their plate mail, just the people in the same area as you. If you want to be like other muds, everyone who's logged in, and maybe even a few NPC's who have special meanings. :)

As to what to show for each person…. Mmmmm… I'd probably show their name, their mortal/wizard status, and their idle time.
17 Jan, 2012, Runter wrote in the 15th comment:
If you want to be realisticy and role-playee then don't provide a who command.
17 Jan, 2012, Ssolvarain wrote in the 16th comment:
Runter said:

Why even bother with sockets? You could just play Zork instead for a true realistic roleplaying experience.
17 Jan, 2012, Runter wrote in the 17th comment:
Ssolvarain said:
Runter said:

Why even bother with sockets? You could just play Zork instead for a true realistic roleplaying experience.

I don't know what point you're trying to make. People bother with sockets for a lot of different reasons, and the results vary wildly among multiplayer games. Seeking a higher standard of design doesn't take away the benefits of a multiplayer game.
0.0/17